How to get better in chess fast?

by Monsterboy
Tags: chess
Monsterboy
Jan25-13, 03:53 AM
P: 32
To get better in chess faster? should i play against a computer often or should i play against other people ?

how to avoid silly mistakes in chess? ,when i don't make them i can beat some of rated 1200 ,sometimes i lose someone like 800
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Jimmy Snyder
Jan25-13, 04:46 AM
P: 2,163
Play slower.
Dadface
Jan25-13, 04:55 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,004
Other than having a brain transplant you can't get better faster than you would by practise and study.

uperkurk
Jan25-13, 07:12 AM
P: 159

How to get better in chess fast?

Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Play slower.
This.

Take your time, analyse your moves, ask yourself why you're chosing to move that particular peice over another. Try to learn to play 3 or 4 moves ahead.

but to answer your question, play against a computer on level 1. Defeat it 1 times, then level 2 ect ect
cobalt124
Jan25-13, 07:24 AM
PF Gold
P: 144
Play against people more than machines to learn the psychological aspects of the game. It's always better to play opponents who are slightly better than you so you can improve your game and learn. Play speed chess to learn openings and gain endgame experience and "playing under pressure". All the other advice posted so far as well, though a brain transplant is just plain cheating.
mishrashubham
Jan26-13, 06:37 AM
P: 605
Just so you know, there is no way to get better at chess (or anything for that matter) fast.
Everything takes practice, and patience in order to reach perfection.
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Play slower.
+1
Avoid playing blitz or bullet too much, especially when you are in the learning phase. The thrill of playing fast games is tempting but then chess becomes more like a video game rather than something that you want to seriously study and play.

Before focusing on opening theory, have a good understanding of endgame. Do lots of puzzles, this makes you think more tactically; and if you are young, then you'll pick this up relatively quickly. Playing against strong computer opponents is also a great way to improve your tactics (that doesn't mean you shouldn't play with human opponents).

And like others said, pay attention in game and try to analyze as much as possible. Don't just always think two or three moves ahead, try to think deep but at the same time try to understand which combinations are worth spending time on (it'll come gradually).

In addition, analyze your games after you've played them, both your wins and your losses. See what you could have done better. See what your opponent could have done better. Post game analysis is very important in developing your game.
Snow-Leopard
Jan26-13, 10:20 AM
P: 53
Play with humans, Just before moving a piece look at all eight directions at both places.
AlephZero
Jan26-13, 12:28 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,386
Quote Quote by Snow-Leopard View Post
Just before moving a piece look at all eight directions at both places.
That only works if all the knights are off the board
DiracPool
Jan26-13, 09:17 PM
P: 492
To get better in chess faster? should i play against a computer often or should i play against other people ?
A computer? No. To predictable, you learn best by dodging the unexpected moves by dumb humans. My suggestion is to go to the Ant room or Amoeba room on Yahoo games and hit quick play. The more anonymous people you play against, the better you'll get. I actually was a pretty good player in high school. I was on a team of 4 players for my high school in 1985 and we won the Hawaii state championship. I wasn't the best on my team, but one of my best friends was, the guy was unbelievable. Kind of like one of those guys that has a dozen games going simultaneously and winds every one of him.

The guy had one of those chess clocks in his backpack. I got good in high school because he sat behind me in history class and used to pull out his board and command me to play in the 5 minutes before the teacher came in. I will always remember his refrain..."quick game?"
jhae2.718
Jan26-13, 11:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Play a lot of chess over many years. Become a grandmaster. Invent a time machine. Travel back to a week from today, kill your younger self, and take your place.
DiracPool
Jan26-13, 11:50 PM
P: 492
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
Invent a time machine. Travel back to a week from today
Can't do that jhae, haven't you been reading these threads?
Lisa!
Jan27-13, 04:11 AM
PF Gold
P: 971
Play against yourself!
ChiralWaltz
Jan27-13, 12:44 PM
P: 114
-Play against friends who are significantly better than you. Treat them somewhat like a tutor, if you will. Don't worry if the results (winning) aren't immediate, just focus on learning and improving.
-Get critiques regularly.
-Ask how you can improve (as you are doing here).
-Be consistent in playing them (biweekly, weekly, ect.).
mishrashubham
Jan28-13, 04:51 AM
P: 605
Quote Quote by DiracPool View Post
A computer? No. To predictable...
Computers have come a long way. They are definitely not predictable (unless one dumbs down the engine intentionnally).
Fredrik
Jan28-13, 05:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,015
Quote Quote by Monsterboy View Post

how to avoid silly mistakes in chess? ,when i don't make them i can beat some of rated 1200 ,sometimes i lose someone like 800
A good way to train yourself to get rid of most of the "blindness" that makes you blunder pieces and fail to see simple tactical combinations is to practice solving tactics puzzles. This site is a good place to do it: http://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html If you register, you will quickly start to get problems that are appropriate for your skill level.

Another good train-your-brain exercise is to read through the first few moves of some chess game (e.g. 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6. 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6. 6. Be3 e6), and without using a chess board, try to figure out the color of each destination square. At first this is really hard. You can memorize things like "the lower right corner is white" and "the queen is on a square of its own color", but then you have to try to visualize small parts of the board in your mind and put the pieces together. If you keep doing this, I think you will eventually be able to play chess blindfolded.

It's also a good idea to learn a little bit about chess openings. Consider the book by van der Sterren. You can also use a site like chessgames.com to see what most people play in a given situation (in the opening).

There are also people who make chess training videos. I've seen a bunch of videos by IM Greg Shahade. They're both educational and entertaining. Unfortunately you would have to pay a membership fee (at leggopoker.com) to access the whole collection. (I think he has also made some videos that are available for free).

Play online at sites like freechess.org or chess.com, where you can see if your rating is improving or not. Mine is bouncing up and down between 1300 and 1550 (and is usually around 1400). I'm too lazy and busy to seriously try to improve it, but if I wanted to, I would use the methods I suggested for you. I have tried them a little bit, and they seem to be be working.
Monsterboy
Jan30-13, 11:47 AM
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
Play a lot of chess over many years. Become a grandmaster. Invent a time machine. Travel back to a week from today, kill your younger self, and take your place.
LOL

i will do the playing part and you invent the time machine for me ,i will pay you handsomely but no pre-payments
Monsterboy
Jan30-13, 11:56 AM
Quote Quote by DiracPool View Post
The guy had one of those chess clocks in his backpack. I got good in high school because he sat behind me in history class and used to pull out his board and command me to play in the 5 minutes before the teacher came in. I will always remember his refrain..."quick game?"
i tried this when i was in high school and i got caught,i was the best in my class back then but non of my friends liked chess ,i was good(compared to them) so they avoided playing with me, i had no access to the internet ,i gradually lost interest and ran out of practice.Today i only play online
Monsterboy
Jan30-13, 12:06 PM
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
A good way to train yourself to get rid of most of the "blindness" that makes you blunder pieces and fail to see simple tactical combinations is to practice solving tactics puzzles. This site is a good place to do it: http://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics.html If you register, you will quickly start to get problems that are appropriate for your skill level.
thanks ,i registered there ,i play in chess.com ,i don't a premium membership so i watch youtube videos on different chess openings etc(chesswebsite.com) and apply them in the game.

Register to reply