Solving an integral equation by iteration

In summary, the Volterra equation can be solved using iteration, but the initial values need to be changed in order for the two equations to be the same.
mode1111
Hello guys!

I was given a Volterra integral equation y(x)=1/2*x^2+integral(0--->x) [t(t-x)y(t)]dt to solve using iteration. I have no idea how and where to start...

The full problem goes as follows:
Show that the solution y(x) of y''+xy=1, y(0)=y'(0)=1 also satisfies the integral equation (above). Use iteration to solve the integral equation, and compare with the series solution of the differential equation.

The series solution (done with taylor) equals: 1+x+1/2*x^2-1/2*x^3-1/6*x^4-...
when you turn the differential equation to an integral equation it looks the same except it has additional 1+x that come from the initial conditions. So basically, to compare them we need different initial conditions i.e y(0)=y'(0)=0 and not 1. However I've asked my professor, and he said there is no such problem and that the algebra was wrong. I can't find the error...

Please help me figure this out.
Thanks to anyone that tries!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you would need different initial conditions. You are comparing different solutions to the same initial value problem aren't you? Changing the initial conditions would change the problem.

And why do you want to "turn the differential equation to an integral equation"? You are given the integral equation to begin with.

I totally agree with you, however if you try to iterate the integral equation and to solve the differential one using series solution, you'll find that you lack the 1+x part. This fact made me question the initial conditions so i tried to make the two equations look the same. It turned out that they are indeed the same, but the conditions are different, i.e the integral one doesn't have the 1+x part that comes from y(0)=y'(0)=1. Again, I did something wrong here and I don't know what. If you could please explain or write down your solution, I'll be more than grateful to you...
Thank you.

mode1111 said:
Hello guys!

I was given a Volterra integral equation y(x)=1/2*x^2+integral(0--->x) [t(t-x)y(t)]dt to solve using iteration. I have no idea how and where to start...

The full problem goes as follows:
Show that the solution y(x) of y''+xy=1, y(0)=y'(0)=1 also satisfies the integral equation (above). Use iteration to solve the integral equation
Well, this can't be right. From the integral equation, [itex]y(0)= (1/2)(0)+ \int_0^0 [t^2y(t)dt= 0[/itex], not 1. Further, [itex]y'(x)= x- \int_0^x ty(t)dt[/itex] so that [itex]y(0)= 0- \int_0^0 ty(t)dt= 0[/itex]. The differential equation is correct but the initial values are wrong. They should be y(0)= y'(0)= 0.

Yeah, that is exactly my point...I guess the my professor was wrong after all.
Thanks, HallsofIvy!

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is an equation that involves an unknown function within an integral. This means that the solution to the equation is a function rather than a single value.

2. How do you solve an integral equation by iteration?

The process of solving an integral equation by iteration involves breaking down the equation into smaller, simpler equations and then using a method of successive approximation to find the solution.

3. What is the method of successive approximation?

The method of successive approximation is a mathematical technique used to solve equations that cannot be solved algebraically. It involves making an initial guess for the solution and then repeatedly using this guess to improve the approximation until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. What are the benefits of solving an integral equation by iteration?

Solving an integral equation by iteration allows for a more accurate solution compared to other methods. It also allows for the solution to be determined for a wide range of problems that may not have a closed-form solution.

5. What are some common applications of solving integral equations by iteration?

Integral equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to model real-world problems. Solving these equations by iteration can be applied to problems such as finding the steady-state temperature distribution in a thermal system or determining the deflection of a beam under a given load.