Tags: cute, fluffy, murderers
Share this thread:
Monique
Jan31-13, 11:35 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
My sister works in a zoo and once brought home one of the feeder mice for her cat. She lived in an apartment on the second floor, so the cat couldn't go outside and practice its instincts. So, she thought, by bringing the mouse the cat could rediscover its roots. She covered the floor in the hallway with newspapers, brought her cat there and released the mouse. Nothing happened, the cat was uninterested and didn't fancy to play or have a meal. Some cats are just cute and fluffy.
Jimmy Snyder
Jan31-13, 11:37 AM
P: 2,179
How many dogs?
AlephZero
Jan31-13, 11:47 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
My sister works in a zoo and once brought home one of the feeder mice for her cat. She lived in an apartment on the second floor, so the cat couldn't go outside and practice its instincts. So, she thought, by bringing the mouse the cat could rediscover its roots. She covered the floor in the hallway with newspapers, brought her cat there and released the mouse. Nothing happened, the cat was uninterested and didn't fancy to play or have a meal. Some cats are just cute and fluffy.
Its mother probably never taught it to hunt.

Sometimes the teaching process isn't a pretty sight, when mom brings home some half-dead mice for the kids to practice on.
russ_watters
Jan31-13, 12:02 PM
Mentor
P: 22,244
Some indoor/outdoor cats never finish their training if separated at a young age and go through life just batting mice around until they get bored or the head falls off.
Evo
Jan31-13, 02:03 PM
Mentor
P: 26,482
Really? Do you know the reason that they passed that law, because they're cute fluffy murders or something else? Just curious
I think people here are anti-animal. Very strict pet laws.
Ivan Seeking
Jan31-13, 05:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
Our cats are indoor-outdoor and they get lots of critters. Life for us is a never-ending trail of headless and gutted bodies. We used to have humming bird feeders but that just created opportunities for the cats, one of which was quite adept at catching them in mid flight!

Little Tyke is good for about ten or twenty snakes a year. Generally she just brings them into my office and lets them go.
phinds
Jan31-13, 06:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,126
I just read in one of my weekly magazines that cats are not native to New Zealand and since they were introduced, some 30% of the bird and mammal species there have gone extinct due to feral cat (and some domestic cat) predation.

Now the native bird, the kiwi, is endangered by them and New Zealanders are not pleased.
QuarkCharmer
Jan31-13, 09:47 PM
P: 1,035
I don't even know if there are leash laws pertaining to cats in my city. But nobody seems to have cats on a leash ever, and many people have "outdoor" cats.

For the reply to my first post. I know the distinction between wild and domestic "pet" cats outdoors. The domestic cats are just as nasty though.
NemoReally
Feb1-13, 01:46 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by QuarkCharmer View Post
I don't even know if there are leash laws pertaining to cats in my city. But nobody seems to have cats on a leash ever, and many people have "outdoor" cats.
Fluffy says he knows just how much cats like trees and has just the leash for them.

For the reply to my first post. I know the distinction between wild and domestic "pet" cats outdoors. The domestic cats are just as nasty though.
Nastier. At least wild cats have the semi-excuse of needing to feed themselves, whereas the domestic variant just do it to indulge themselves.
steve Parker
Feb1-13, 01:49 AM
P: 0
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem. Let nature take its course to decide. In the meantime if some species are extinct, called "survival of the fittest. People do not like animals they do not actively harm trying.
Kholdstare
Feb1-13, 07:41 AM
P: 390
Quote Quote by steve Parker View Post
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem. Let nature take its course to decide. In the meantime if some species are extinct, called "survival of the fittest. People do not like animals they do not actively harm trying.
jtbell
Feb1-13, 08:01 AM
Mentor
P: 11,628
They should never kill wild / feral cats, even if they catch birds and rodents. The natural ecosystem.
These cats are not part of the natural ecosystem. They are pet cats that were abandoned by their owners, or descended from such cats. They're not like bobcats, cougars, etc. which are true wild cats in North America. They're more analogous to kudzu.
AlephZero
Feb1-13, 10:42 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,959
They should never kill wild / feral cats
You seem to be making a common mistake here. "Wild cats" and "feral cats" are two different things. Wild cats are part of the natural ecosystem. Feral cats are not. ("Wild cats" include anything from lions and tigers, down to the domestic-cat-sized "wildcat" (note: one word, not two) which is a different species (Felis silvestris) from the domestic cat (Felis catus).
Lisa!
Feb9-13, 04:45 AM
PF Gold
P: 973
What a lazy cat! Maybe that's because your sister always feeds her cat and it doesn't have to make any effort to catch its own food.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb9-13, 07:44 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Lisa! View Post
What a lazy cat! Maybe that's because your sister always feeds her cat and it doesn't have to make any effort to catch its own food.
I thought a well fed cat made a better mouser.
BobG
Feb10-13, 11:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
We have laws here, it is illegal to allow your cat outdoors unless it's on a leash. It is very rare to see a loose cat now and usually the next day you see a missing cat poster on the grocery store bulletin board.
It's rare to see loose cats in my city, too. Just east of the city, you have coyotes. Just west of the city, you have mountain lions. Through most of the city, you have foxes.

Small outdoor pets, whether cats or small dogs, don't have very long lives.

In fact, workers at the humane society tend to be horrified when yet another small dog is adopted by a resident that seems to adopt a small dog almost once a year.

While baby birds are surely vulnerable to cats, even some of the birds are pretty scary. A pair of mountain magpies had some young very near my house. They would even attack my Golden Retriever, being so bold as to hop along behind my dog, pecking at her tail. My dog took to sitting down whenever the birds came back to harrass her.
turbo
Feb10-13, 01:17 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I had a GF in HS that had a cat who would try to to kill something every day. He would bring it to the back stoop of their house and would lug it off as soon as she had seen his kill. I have no idea if he was eating his kill, but he did a number on mice, voles, and ground-nesting birds. He was a friendly cat (to humans), but he was a killer. I would have hated to be an animal smaller than him.

An older friend (about 25 years ago) had a big black tom-cat who was very effective, too. He had lost an eye, probably in a fight with a 'coon, but he would wait in the weeds and tall grass and would bring home his kill day after day. Luckily they had a big barn full of hay, so there were plenty of rodents for winter-hunting. He would present the booty to my friend's wife, so Blackie (original name, huh?) could get some praise.

Register to reply