by Evo
Tags: baby, deer, injured, jail, rescue
Share this thread:
Evo
Jan31-13, 02:10 PM
Mentor
P: 26,661
This had better not go to court.

Jeff Counceller, a police officer in Connersville, and his wife were charged with unlawful possession of a deer, a misdemeanor that punished to its fullest extent could put the Councellers in jail for up to 60 days and cost them up to $2,000 in fines.

The couple rescued the deer more than two years ago after finding it on their neighbor's porch. The Councellers said the deer had sustained injuries, and they wanted to nurse it back to health.

"I could feel all of the open wounds all along her back side and she wouldn't stand up," Jennifer Counceller told ABC News.

They brought the deer home and named her Little Orphan Dani.

The Councellers said an Indiana Conservation Officer stopped by their home and discovered the deer this past summer. The Indiana Department of Natural Resources wanted to euthanize Dani, saying she might be dangerous and a threat to people.
Continued...

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Greg Bernhardt
Jan31-13, 02:15 PM
Admin
P: 9,709
I agree it's a tragic waste of time. Let's focus on the real bad guys!
micromass
Jan31-13, 02:35 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Never violate the prime directive!

drizzle
Jan31-13, 02:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 526
Rescue injured baby deer, go to jail

WT...
AlephZero
Jan31-13, 03:07 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,285
So it's OK for a police officer to break the law for two years, just because he feels like it?

But the whole story doesn't make any sense from a UK point of view - the right thing to do over here would be rescue the deer from any immediate danger, and hand it over to the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) to be looked after professionally, not by a well-meaning amateur.
nsaspook
Jan31-13, 03:09 PM
P: 663
It's an old story here.
Bambi vs. the Bureaucrats
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...reaucrats.html

This isn't the first time a kind-hearted, misguided Oregonian has tried to heed the call of the wild. Last year, an 11-year-old girl in the coastal city of Waldport suffered a bruised skull and jaw after the deer her family had adopted after it was hit by a car decided to turn on the child, pinning her against a fence. And in 2005, state officials discovered a black bear in the home of a Roseburg man. The bear had been living there for years, it turns out, eating people food, even sleeping in a bed made for humans. A dozen times in the past year and a half, Hargrave says, state officials have had to remove wild animals from people's homes.
WannabeNewton
Jan31-13, 03:40 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,661
They're prosecuting these nice people for saving a wounded deer? Funny here I was thinking good deeds were above the law...silly me.
Jack21222
Jan31-13, 11:18 PM
P: 772
I just think it's bizarre that somebody would rescue a wounded deer instead of just putting it out of its misery. Where I'm from, deer are looked upon like giant, tasty rats.
russ_watters
Feb1-13, 07:36 AM
Mentor
P: 22,315
I guess I kind of assumed that shooting injured wildlife - deer especially - would be part of police officer training.

Still, not something worthy of an arrest: just fine him.
russ_watters
Feb1-13, 07:45 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by nsaspook View Post
People are dumb. They think that just because deer look cute in animated Disney movies, they aren't just like any other wild animal. YouTube has a bunch of videos of people giggling while filming Fido playing with a deer -- until the deer has enough and stomps Fido to death.
FreeMitya
Feb1-13, 10:43 AM
P: 31
You would think this would be a waste of police time what with sex-offenders and murderers running around.
FlexGunship
Feb1-13, 12:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
YouTube has a bunch of videos of people giggling while filming Fido playing with a deer -- until the deer has enough and stomps Fido to death.
It's weird that you know that YouTube has "a bunch" of these videos.
Jack21222
Feb1-13, 12:48 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by FreeMitya View Post
You would think this would be a waste of police time what with sex-offenders and murderers running around.
Wow, I didn't know that the Department of Natural Resources went after sex-offenders.
russ_watters
Feb1-13, 12:50 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
It's weird that you know that YouTube has "a bunch" of these videos.
Why? Have you never been on YouTube? Once you look at one video of something, a bunch more similar ones pop up in the side pane next to the video.
FreeMitya
Feb1-13, 12:58 PM
P: 31
Quote Quote by Jack21222 View Post
Wow, I didn't know that the Department of Natural Resources went after sex-offenders.
Guess I should pay more attention next time. This is shaping up to be a weird day as I've had to save face on more than one occasion, when I'm usually pretty good at fact-gathering and "knowing my stuff" before I talk about something. Still, my main point that it is a waste of time holds true, in my opinion.
Evo
Feb1-13, 04:20 PM
Mentor
P: 26,661
It's ridiculous to spend tax payer money on pursuing these people through court just because they ticked off the DNR guy when the deer managed to escape the day it was scheduled to die. That's what it all comes down to. If they had let the guy kill the little deer, it would have been over.

Kudos to these people.
turbo
Feb1-13, 04:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
The Maine Wildlife Service (called Fish and Game at the time) was well-aware of the activities of an elderly couple in the Greenville area. They had fed over-wintering deer outside, then on their porch, and then in their house, where the deer could warm up while eating their lunch. No charges, no fines. One of my closest friends was the chief of the Maine Warden Service, and while he was not a fan of feeding herds of deer in cold weather, he could not have had the heart to deprive these old folks of something that pleased them so.

Register to reply