Register to reply

Firing incompetent and unprofessional PRL editors?

Share this thread:
Xela
Feb1-13, 12:17 AM
P: 15
I guess like many others here, I have several papers rejected from various journals, and especially from PRL. Rejections are always unpleasant, and you get used to them. But sometimes it seems especially unfair and the editor seems completely incompetent and unprofessional. Unlike with incompetent referees, there is really no way to fight back the editor has a status of a Pharaoh. The situation is getting very asymmetric now that editors started rejecting a large number of papers without review. They are not part of the community, and they are never on the other side of the rejection like referees.

I wonder if among all rejections you felt that one specific editor was particularly incompetent and unprofessional. And if many people name the same unprofessional editor, we can collectively get rid of that editor. Im curious to hear what others think.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Jimmy Snyder
Feb1-13, 02:25 AM
P: 2,179
Read Martin Eden by Jack London.
rollingstein
Feb1-13, 02:48 AM
PF Gold
P: 330
Quote Quote by Xela View Post
But sometimes it seems especially unfair and the editor seems completely incompetent and unprofessional.
How? What was unfair? Specifics?

Unlike with incompetent referees, there is really no way to fight back – the editor has a status of a Pharaoh. The situation is getting very asymmetric now that editors started rejecting a large number of papers without review.
There's only a finite number of reviewers available. There's a lot of submissions. Maybe they should offer the rejected papers a chance to get reviewer comments for a fee. The fee wouldn't be small. I'd charge $500 at least for a detailed paper review and the time it takes. And no guarantee you'll still not be rejected for publication. An editor serves as a screen.

They are not part of the community, and they are never on the other side of the rejection like referees.
Why not? Lot of editors are active researchers. Don't know about PRL in specific.

I wonder if among all rejections you felt that one specific editor was particularly incompetent and unprofessional. And if many people name the same unprofessional editor, we can collectively get rid of that editor. I’m curious to hear what others think.
I think your complaint is unspecific. What exactly was unprofessional? Just rejecting a paper cannot be.

cristo
Feb1-13, 03:40 AM
Mentor
P: 8,306
Firing incompetent and unprofessional PRL editors?

I don't think I've come across an unprofessional editor. But, when your paper gets rejected by the editor (before being sent out for review), it means that the paper does not meet the conditions for publication in the journal. This is not a factual assessment, but usually format or, for PRL, a lack of importance beyond your specific subfield. You are given the chance to make changes to your manuscript and resubmit.

This forum is not the place for a witchhunt, so please don't be naming editors you think should be fired for not accepting your paper.
Kholdstare
Feb1-13, 07:49 AM
P: 390
I think the editors of a reputed journal like PRL know their jobs and I trust them.
Xela
Feb1-13, 08:34 AM
Quote Quote by rollingstein View Post
How? What was unfair? Specifics?
Consistently being unfair to authors for political reasons

Quote Quote by rollingstein View Post
I think your complaint is unspecific. What exactly was unprofessional? Just rejecting a paper cannot be.
Of course, many rejections are unpleasant, but reasonable.
Xela
Feb1-13, 08:41 AM
Quote Quote by cristo View Post
I don't think I've come across an unprofessional editor. But, when your paper gets rejected by the editor (before being sent out for review), it means that the paper does not meet the conditions for publication in the journal. This is not a factual assessment, but usually format or, for PRL, a lack of importance beyond your specific subfield. You are given the chance to make changes to your manuscript and resubmit.
Ideally that would be the case, but the editors like all of us are human. Humans make mistakes, sometimes have conflict of interest etc. Other players in the game have a checking mechanism - editors don't. This is all I'm saying.

Quote Quote by cristo View Post
This forum is not the place for a witchhunt, so please don't be naming editors you think should be fired for not accepting your paper.
How is this a witchhunt? An editor is a job done by humans. There should be a feedback mechanism checking the quality of the performance. You can't complain personally, because of retaliations. The only possible action is to get a collective complaint if the editor is really unfair to many. I just wanted to see if that was the case indeed.
Xela
Feb1-13, 08:48 AM
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
I think the editors of a reputed journal like PRL know their jobs and I trust them.
And presidents of reputed countries know their jobs, so they should be trusted and keep ruling forever?
Jimmy Snyder
Feb1-13, 09:14 AM
P: 2,179
I wonder if among all rejections you felt that one specific editor was particularly incompetent and unprofessional. And if many people name the same unprofessional editor, we can collectively get rid of that editor.
I'm in. You go first.
ZapperZ
Feb1-13, 09:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,239
I don't know if you've met any of the editors of PRL, or the Physical Review journals for that matter. I suggest you go talk to them. They are often around at the APS March/April meetings.

These people are NOT the imbeciles that you think. They take feedback seriously, and they definitely keep track of the areas that they specialize in. I've attended many seminars at Brookhaven where PR editors also present (their offices are within easy driving distance to the lab).

Secondly, this is only ONE side of the story. If you had "several papers" rejected, then how about examining if it is also possible that the caliber of the work might be the issue! PRL has recently tightened the quality of papers that it will accept. It won't accept something just because it is new. It must also have a larger impact.

BTW, the difficulty of getting through the editors at PRL is NOTHING when compared to Nature or Science.

Zz.
Xela
Feb1-13, 09:40 AM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
I don't know if you've met any of the editors of PRL, or the Physical Review journals for that matter. I suggest you go talk to them. They are often around at the APS March/April meetings.
Well, I could just email them if that was the issue. My point is that there is no external checking mechanism. Just like you wouldn't expect a police department to be objective to itself. I'd want an external body for that.

These people are NOT the imbeciles that you think.
I never implied they were. The smartest people make mistakes, they can be sloppy, biased etc.

Secondly, this is only ONE side of the story. If you had "several papers" rejected, then how about examining if it is also possible that the caliber of the work might be the issue! PRL has recently tightened the quality of papers that it will accept. It won't accept something just because it is new. It must also have a larger impact.
I have more PRL papers published than rejected. But my case is not important, I'm talking about a general principle - there is no control on what editors do.

BTW, the difficulty of getting through the editors at PRL is NOTHING when compared to Nature or Science.
Somehow I'm used to thinking of Nature and Science as flashy magazines for the sake of flashiness, and of PRL as a real scientific journal. But you're right, the same applies to Nature and Science.
Xela
Feb1-13, 09:49 AM
P.S.: Again, I want to emphasize that I mean ONE specific editor that seems unfair for political reasons. The rest seem reasonably fair to me.
Kholdstare
Feb1-13, 10:26 AM
P: 390
P.S.: Again, I want to emphasize that I mean ONE specific editor that seems unfair for political reasons. The rest seem reasonably fair to me.
Go and talk to him.
rollingstein
Feb1-13, 10:49 AM
PF Gold
Complain to the Editor in Chief or Editorial Director then.
rollingstein
Feb1-13, 10:51 AM
PF Gold
Somehow I'm used to thinking of Nature and Science as flashy magazines for the sake of flashiness, and of PRL as a real scientific journal.
What you are used to thinking is wrong then.
Ryan_m_b
Feb1-13, 12:48 PM
Mentor
P: 5,406
Why do you think that your papers are being rejected for political reasons?
Xela
Feb1-13, 01:43 PM
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Why do you think that your papers are being rejected for political reasons?
Because, a number of authors I talked to have the same feeling. I was hoping to get a bigger statistical sample here.
Evo
Feb1-13, 03:16 PM
Mentor
P: 26,482
Perhaps the fact that you don't toot your own horn as to your credibility leaves members wondering if you are in fact credible. But, had you claimed to be credible, people would then think you weren't. It's a tough situation. You're an unknown, so it's hard to judge.

Perhaps we should assume the OP is a well known and published individual and go from there.

Register to reply