Heating liquid using wire coils

by Vandalus
Tags: coil, current, heating, water, wire
Vandalus
Feb2-13, 06:20 PM
P: 7
I'm trying to make ferrofluid according to this guide:
http://www.sci-spot.com/Chemistry/liqimag.htm
and in step 5 I need to heat the solution to near boiling but I don't have access to a bunsen burner or heating plate. Also I can't do this in the kitchen because this heating is to remove ammonia gas.

My question is can I heat a liquid to 100-110 degrees Celcius by wrapping a nichrome/constantan wire around a beaker and sending a current through it? Is there a better way to boil this liquid?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
NascentOxygen
Feb3-13, 07:55 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,710
Maybe you still buy small camping stoves from camping stores? They are just a small folding frame, and you break off a piece of of solid fuel and put a piece in the middle of the frame and lit it. Place it on some concrete outdoors and heat your liquid over it. Rather than heat the beaker directly, sit it in a saucepan of water and heat it to near boiling that way. https://www.google.com/search?q=solid+fuel+for+camping

The solid fuel is harmless to handle, it's white, and lights when you touch a match to it.
Vandalus
Feb3-13, 09:09 AM
But will it provide enough heat though?

NascentOxygen
Feb3-13, 09:29 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,710

Heating liquid using wire coils

It boils a saucepan of water. I expect you can keep throwing in more fuel if you need prolonged boiling.
Vandalus
Feb4-13, 04:02 AM
ok thanks. gonna try that.

Register to reply