Traversetime of r=cos(n*θ)

by Nikitin
Tags: rcosnθ, traversetime
Nikitin
Feb4-13, 06:22 AM
P: 588
I have the function in polar coordinates r=cos(n*θ), where r is the radii. I'm supposed to draw the graph of this function, and calculate the area. But to calculate the area, I need to know how fast the function traverses. From the solution in my book, it says if n is even, the function traverses when θ goes from 0 to 2pi, and from 0 to pi if n is odd.

Why is the traverse-time for this function only dependant on if n is odd or even? I do not understand this at all. Can you guys help me develop an intuition for functions in polar coordinates?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
HallsofIvy
Feb4-13, 07:27 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,885
You will cover one lobe as r goes from 0 to 1 and back to 0. That is, as [itex]n\theta[/itex] goes form [itex]-\pi+ 2k\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2+ 2k\pi[/itex] for integer k.

The reason for the "if n is even, the function traverses when θ goes from 0 to 2pi, and from 0 to pi if n is odd." is that when [itex]cos(n\theta)[/itex] is negative, r is negative and, because r is alwas positive in polar coordinates, is interpreted as positive but with [itex]\pi[/itex] added to [itex]\theta[/itex]. When n is odd, that results in one lobe covering another. When n is even, there are 2n lobes, when n is odd there are n lobes.
Nikitin
Feb4-13, 04:21 PM
P: 588
So you're saying when r goes from 0 to 1 to 0 (and n*θ goes from -pi/2 to pi/2) the function has fully traversed?

Is this a general rule? That when r goes back to where it started, the function has traversed?

is that when cos(nθ) is negative, r is negative and, because r is alwas positive in polar coordinates, is interpreted as positive but with π added to θ. When n is odd, that results in one lobe covering another. When n is even, there are 2n lobes, when n is odd there are n lobes.
I think I get you, but can you please provide an example?

HallsofIvy
Feb7-13, 02:57 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,885

Traversetime of r=cos(n*θ)

The first graph is [itex]r= 5cos(4\theta)[/itex] and the second graph is [itex]r= 5cos(5\theta)[/itex]
Attached Thumbnails
rose.jpeg   rose2.jpeg  

Register to reply