Register to reply

Any obsessive handwashers out there?

by HeLiXe
Tags: handwashers, obsessive
Share this thread:
HeLiXe
Feb4-13, 11:13 PM
P: 412
What lotion do you use? I wash my hands frequently and it has skyrocketed since I purchased a dog. The skin on my hands is like paper now and is cracking a little and bleeding. I put some baby oil on them today for relief, but I just wonder if there is a strong and better lotion out there.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
jhae2.718
Feb4-13, 11:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
This is what we call taking things to the extreme...
micromass
Feb4-13, 11:37 PM
Mentor
P: 18,299
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

There are very good treatments against it!

WannabeNewton
Feb4-13, 11:55 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,630
Any obsessive handwashers out there?

Soap.
jhae2.718
Feb5-13, 12:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Hydrochloric acid works wonders for cleaning off the skin...
Monique
Feb5-13, 01:43 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Glycerona is a good hand cream, what do you use for washing your hands? It should be mild.
HeLiXe
Feb5-13, 07:57 AM
P: 412
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
This is what we call taking things to the extreme...
What.ev.errr.
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

There are very good treatments against it!
I read this...but I do not think it applies to me....I was asking people who it does apply to for advice or anyone who knows of a good hand cream/lotion.
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Soap.
you use soap as a lotion? omg
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
Hydrochloric acid works wonders for cleaning off the skin...
I see...I have some in my stomach I can lend you
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Glycerona is a good hand cream, what do you use for washing your hands? It should be mild.
Thanks Monique ... I will see if I can get some. I usually use what is around the house like dishwashing liquid, Ivory soap, or liquid handsoap. Last night I bought a mild liquid handsoap with aloe vera. The skin on my hands tends to dry and crack easily in the winter for whatever reason. I haven't had to wash dishes in a while, but when I used to be the only one washing them I would really suffer in the winter--even with the most gentle dishwashing liquid. I tried using Aquaphor but I do not like the petroleum-jelly like feel on my hands.
PhizKid
Feb5-13, 08:06 AM
P: 471
I used to wash and scrub my hands until the skin started rubbing off and blood started seeping out but I don't do that anymore
FlexGunship
Feb5-13, 09:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 739
I wash my hands almost every time I go to the bathroom... as an experienced hand washer, I have no idea what to recommend. My hands crack and bleed in the winter also.
Monique
Feb5-13, 09:29 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Don't use dishwashing detergent for washing hands, it's a sure way to wash away the natural defenses of the skin. My hands also crack in the winter, wearing gloves outside helps a lot in reducing that.
dlgoff
Feb5-13, 10:46 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
I wash my hands almost every time I go to the bathroom... as an experienced hand washer, I have no idea what to recommend. My hands crack and bleed in the winter also.

Monique
Feb5-13, 10:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Don't use antibiotics (neosporin) when you don't need them, unless you want to contribute to the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
dlgoff
Feb5-13, 11:23 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,726
Quote Quote by Monique View Post
Don't use antibiotics (neosporin) when you don't need them, unless you want to contribute to the emergence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Trust me. Cracked and bleeding fingers is exactly why you need these. This is what we're talking about.

Monique
Feb5-13, 12:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Why do you post that picture and not a picture of an MRSA-infected wound?
EricVT
Feb5-13, 12:45 PM
P: 163
I work in a hospital and see and touch patients several times a day. I use antibacterial gel every time I enter and leave a room plus lots of times when I'm just walking down the hallway. It probably amounts to a few dozen uses per day, plus of course I wash my hands anytime I use the restroom.

I've found this has affected my hand hygiene at home as well. I keep lots of little antibacterial gel bottles around and use them frequently and wash my hands every so often "just because".
Monique
Feb5-13, 12:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Plain Soap As Effective As Antibacterial But Without The Risk
Drakkith
Feb5-13, 03:45 PM
Mentor
P: 11,879
Excellent. Good to know my non-use of antibacterial soap is based on valid knowledge.
jtbell
Feb5-13, 03:50 PM
Mentor
P: 11,780
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
I wash my hands frequently and it has skyrocketed since I purchased a dog.
This awakens memories of a classic Peanuts cartoon strip. I haven't found the strip itself online yet, but I can reconstruct the dialog from memory, at least approximately:

CHARLIE BROWN: [patting Snoopy] I have to go to dinner now, Snoopy.
SALLY: And now you have to wash your hands again because you touched the dog.
CHARLIE BROWN: [walking off] Oh, good grief.
SNOOPY: [ears perking up] "Touched the dog?" [glaring at Sally] "Touched the dog!?!"
SALLY: [backing away] Stay away from me, my hands are clean!
SNOOPY: [chasing Sally] Pat my head and get a handful of germs! Beware the walking disease carrier! I'm loaded with bubonic plague!
SALLY: [standing on a dresser] HELP!
SNOOPY: [walking off] "Touched the dog." Good grief.

Register to reply