PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
drizzle
Feb3-13, 04:37 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
That looks fabulous collin, though I'm trying to remember when did you promise me.. Nevermind. I like it :D
DennisN
Feb4-13, 02:57 PM
P: 469
Just had a LOOOOONG discussion on a political blog with one religious person and one "new agey" person, discussing what science is and is not, pseudoscience, telepathy, quantum stuff, faith, the whole shebang . I promise I tried to do my best, PF . I described the scientific method and mainstream science. Maybe I did some kind of difference, don't really know, hard to tell. As I suspected they finally both teamed up against me and started twisting my words . I've noticed this usually happens when people run out of arguments. I find it interesting that two persons with different kind of faiths can somehow temporary shake hands and join together against a person who favors science and the scientific method instead of faith. Or maybe I look at it from the wrong perspective? They might have seen me and science as a bigger threat than the others different faith?
lisab
Feb4-13, 07:47 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Quote Quote by DennisN View Post
Just had a LOOOOONG discussion on a political blog with one religious person and one "new agey" person, discussing what science is and is not, pseudoscience, telepathy, quantum stuff, faith, the whole shebang . I promise I tried to do my best, PF . I described the scientific method and mainstream science. Maybe I did some kind of difference, don't really know, hard to tell. As I suspected they finally both teamed up against me and started twisting my words . I've noticed this usually happens when people run out of arguments. I find it interesting that two persons with different kind of faiths can somehow temporary shake hands and join together against a person who favors science and the scientific method instead of faith. Or maybe I look at it from the wrong perspective? They might have seen me and science as a bigger threat than the others different faith?
Wow, I commend you for your stamina - both a new-ager and a religious person, at the same time...whew.
AlephZero
Feb4-13, 09:22 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,936
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
both a new-ager and a religious person, at the same time...whew.
Reminds me of a strange snatch of conversation I once heard as two people passed me in the street. One was saying to the other: "...they weren't weird people like vegetarians or scientists..."
Evo
Feb4-13, 09:28 PM
Mentor
P: 26,433
Why would you bother? Next time tell them that you refuse to go into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
DennisN
Feb5-13, 03:22 AM
P: 469
Thanks for your support!
Wow, I commend you for your stamina - both a new-ager and a religious person, at the same time...whew.
Thanks. I usually stay away from such discussions (faith & philosophy), but in this case I decided to try to make a difference, because the blog is good and those two commentors tried (rather "well") to mix/push in paranormal issues and spirituality into science. But I pulled their arguments apart with physics/science. The Invisible Pink Unicorn also helped me, that can be a great tool in such discussions - I think the person who conjured that unicorn was a genious.
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Reminds me of a strange snatch of conversation I once heard as two people passed me in the street. One was saying to the other: "...they weren't weird people like vegetarians or scientists..."

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Why would you bother? Next time tell them that you refuse to go into a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
That's a good one, I have to remember that.
Borg
Feb5-13, 04:04 AM
PF Gold
P: 759
Thanks for your support!

Thanks. I usually stay away from such discussions (faith & philosophy), but in this case I decided to try to make a difference, because the blog is good and those two commentors tried (rather "well") to mix/push in paranormal issues and spirituality into science. But I pulled their arguments apart with physics/science. The Invisible Pink Unicorn also helped me, that can be a great tool in such discussions - I think the person who conjured that unicorn was a genious.
Don't forget the Flying Spaghetti Monster! Always a great addition for those wishing to teach 'Intelligent' Design in schools.
lisab
Feb5-13, 11:46 AM
Mentor
P: 2,974
I know lots of PFers have read about the recent finding of King Richard III. Fascinating story!

But did anyone else notice he looks an awful lot like Quentin Tarantino?

Evo
Feb5-13, 02:35 PM
Mentor
Ewwwww, he does.
Borg
Feb5-13, 02:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 759
I know lots of PFers have read about the recent finding of King Richard III. Fascinating story!

But did anyone else notice he looks an awful lot like Quentin Tarantino?
I was actually thinking that it was ironic that the man who was famous for the Shakespeare quote "my kingdom for a horse" would be buried under a parking lot while hundreds of "horses" drove over him every day.
AlephZero
Feb5-13, 02:55 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,936
They might finish up re-enacting the Wars of the Roses over where to re-bury him. Apparently the city of York has written to the Queen arguing it be should be buried there, based on the history. But the terms and conditions of the archeological dig were that any human remains should be reburied "near" where they were found, and 100 miles away isn't "near".
dkotschessaa
Feb5-13, 03:06 PM
P: 586
Dropped my wallet about two miles from my house while biking to school.

Got an e-mail a few hours later from a grad student at my school in the Physics department who found it.

Generally speaking, physics people are cool.

-Dave K
Jimmy Snyder
Feb5-13, 07:13 PM
P: 2,179
We've come a long way since people used to think an asteroid striking the earth was a bad omen. An asteroid 45 meters in diameter (roughly the size of Texas) will come within 17200 miles of Kansas on the 15th. Most people are laughing it off because the Mayans forgot to predict it. My advice is to ignore it. Maybe it will go away.
1MileCrash
Feb5-13, 07:40 PM
P: 1,285
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
An asteroid 45 meters in diameter (roughly the size of Texas )
????
Jimmy Snyder
Feb5-13, 07:44 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by 1MileCrash View Post
????
Very roughly.
Evo
Feb5-13, 07:46 PM
Mentor
I'll be hiding under my asteroid avertor.
Drakkith
Feb5-13, 07:55 PM
Mentor
P: 11,508
Almost got irate yesterday in my class when my instructor started talking about Tesla and how he had driven a car from some city all the way to DC or something, and instead of using fuel, it used a little black box to power it the whole way. Of course I called BS on the whole thing and one thing led to another and I learned that he believed that the government had taken multiple patents of Tesla's and to this day still had them because they would have provided free energy to everyone. Again, I called BS and luckily he had to get back to teaching before I got too upset.

Oh, this is only a few weeks after another instructor in my electronics class claimed that his sisters body somehow kept messing her watch up due to the EM field it generated.

These are all retired military folks teaching us non-retired military folks by the way.
OmCheeto
Feb5-13, 09:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I'll be hiding under my asteroid avertor.
I will be sure and avoid Kansas for the next few weeks. BTW, when is the asteroid coming?

Register to reply