Register to reply

Complaint Why can't I edit my posts after 24 hours?

by tahayassen
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Evo
Feb6-13, 11:06 AM
Mentor
P: 26,444
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
One thing you can do is to report your own post (use the "report" button), and ask a moderator to change it for you.
In rare cases, like this, where you couldn't spot the error until the edit window closed and it's not easily corrected by a subsequent post to clarify, just hit the report button and tell us what needs to be corrected. We don't mind doing this ocassionally for unusual circumstances.

The reason we had to put a time limit on edits is due to people going back and erasing their posts after people have responded. This can destroy a thread or make a member that responded look stupid, etc...
Redbelly98
Feb7-13, 08:07 AM
Mentor
P: 12,071
The 11+ hours is a compromise. We also have to worry about people getting help on homework that is not allowed by their teacher. If we allow too much time, they can go back and delete the content of their OP after getting help, so that their cheating cannot be tracked down.

I've recently adopted the policy of quoting homework-help requests, if the OP is a brand new member, just in case the person is not supposed to be posting the problem.
strangerep
Feb7-13, 06:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,899
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
I made a mathematical mistake last night in a post and was unable to edit it around 10 am this morning, so I presume the time is less than 24 hours, which I personally find inadequate. I usually realize my mistakes after sleeping on them.
[...]
to me, just allowing at least 24 hours to edit would also go a long way to solving the problem.
I agree with mathwonk, as I also often need sleeping time to realize my mistakes.

Is it possible to keep the current (short) edit timeout on the 1st post in a thread, but a longer timeout (24 hrs) on all subsequent posts?

That would address the homework cheating issue, and also partially eliminate potential work for mods if a member wants to modify their own post the next morning and must "report" it to a mod, requesting changes.
Evo
Feb7-13, 06:59 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by strangerep View Post
I agree with mathwonk, as I also often need sleeping time to realize my mistakes.

Is it possible to keep the current (short) edit timeout on the 1st post in a thread, but a longer timeout (24 hrs) on all subsequent posts?

That would address the homework cheating issue, and also partially eliminate potential work for mods if a member wants to modify their own post the next morning and must "report" it to a mod, requesting changes.
Apparently it's not possible to have differing edit windows.
strangerep
Feb8-13, 02:43 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,899
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Apparently it's not possible to have differing edit windows.
By "not possible", I guess you mean "not implemented" by vBulletin? Unfortunate, since the actual software mod would be dead easy. (sigh)
Evo
Feb8-13, 03:10 AM
Mentor
By "not possible", I guess you mean "not implemented" by vBulletin? Unfortunate, since the actual software mod would be dead easy. (sigh)
I don't know the answer. I know we've tried several different remedies and we're looking at options in future upgrades we will need to make. If we could stop only edits of the OP, that would be enough, IMO, but I'm under the impression that is not an option. It does concern us because the last thing we want to do is make things difficult for our members that have a real need.
mfb
Feb8-13, 03:13 AM
Mentor
P: 11,589
Unfortunate, since the actual software mod would be dead easy. (sigh)
As far as I know, the posts do not have a flag "is starting post of a thread" in the database, you would have to check the posting time (!) of all posts with the same threadid. And any hack in the vBulletin-mechanics can lead to problems at updates of the board software.

Register to reply