Calculating leakage inductance & winding capacitance of a step up transformer?

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate leakage inductance and winding capacitance for a small step up transformer. However, they are having difficulty finding information on the subject and are unsure where to start. They are also aware that the calculation may vary depending on the materials and design of the transformer.
hobbs125
I am designing a small step up transformer and I'm trying to calculate leakage inductance and winding capacitance.

The problem I'm having is when I search the web I find there is a ton of info on the subject. So I have no idea where to start.

Can anyone explain to me how to calculate leakage inductance and winding capacitance for a basic step up transformer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe these will be highly subjective to the material and quality of the components used, as well as the physical design ( even winding pattern). If you are looking for losses overall - the excitation and winding resistance will account to most of them.

1. What is leakage inductance?

Leakage inductance is the amount of magnetic flux that does not link with the primary and secondary windings of a transformer. It is caused by imperfect coupling between the windings and can result in energy loss and decreased efficiency.

2. How is leakage inductance calculated?

Leakage inductance can be calculated by measuring the inductance of the primary winding and subtracting the inductance of the fully coupled transformer. It can also be calculated using the transformer's physical dimensions and material properties.

3. What is winding capacitance?

Winding capacitance is the capacitance that exists between the different layers of a transformer's windings. It can cause high-frequency oscillations and reduce the transformer's efficiency if not accounted for.

4. How is winding capacitance calculated?

Winding capacitance can be calculated using the physical dimensions of the transformer's windings and the dielectric properties of the insulating material used between the layers. It can also be measured using a capacitance meter.

5. Why is it important to calculate leakage inductance and winding capacitance?

Calculating leakage inductance and winding capacitance is important for designing efficient and reliable transformers. Understanding these parameters allows for proper selection of materials and dimensions to minimize losses and ensure safe operation of the transformer.