Need a complete list of functions and thier inverses

by Jeff12341234
Tags: functions, inverses, list, thier
Share this thread:
Jeff12341234
Feb6-13, 05:11 PM
P: 179
I can't find this anywhere on google.

I'm looking for a complete list of functions and their inverses.
Here's a partial list as an example
*, /
+, -
e^x, ln(x)
sin(), sin^-1()
d/dx, ∫
etc..

Why isn't there a list of all of them? You would think that some mathematician would find joy in compiling one...
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Vorde
Feb6-13, 05:24 PM
P: 784
Assuming......just assuming.......that you aren't trolling.

There are an infinite amount of functions, and I'm going to take a gander and say that the vast majority of them do not have inverses.

There are, however, a relativity short list of 'common' functions, and I'm sure it is very easy to google a list of their inverses, though you've listed a number already.

I'll stress here that neither ##\frac{d}{dx}## nor ##\int## are functions, though they are inverse operations.
Nor are multiplication, division, addition or subtraction, they are all operations.
micromass
Feb6-13, 05:25 PM
Mentor
P: 18,346
There are [itex]2^{2^{\aleph_0}}[/itex] functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]

This means that the number of functions from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is not only infinite, but a number of degrees above the smallest possible infinity.

Thus, I fear that a complete list of functions would not be very feasible.

If you want a list of all possible function between all possible sets. Then I'm afraid that they don't even form a set. The number of functions form a proper class. This means that is quite larger than anything mathematics can handle. So a list would be rather impossible.

micromass
Feb6-13, 05:28 PM
Mentor
Need a complete list of functions and thier inverses

Quote Quote by Vorde View Post
I'll stress here that neither ##\frac{d}{dx}## nor ##\int## are functions, though they are inverse operations.
Nor are multiplication, division, addition or subtraction, they are all operations.
I would actually consider all those things as functions...
Jeff12341234
Feb6-13, 05:29 PM
Quote Quote by Vorde View Post
Assuming......just assuming.......that you aren't trolling.

ok. then what I'm looking for is a complete list of opposite operations.
micromass
Feb6-13, 05:33 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jeff12341234 View Post
ok. then what I'm looking for is a complete list of opposite operations.
Still too large (= infinity).
Jeff12341234
Feb6-13, 05:43 PM
no it's not. There are a few dozen we learn in algebra, another dozen from trig, only 2 from calc (d/dx and ∫ ), diff eq may add more to the list but I didn't notice any. you see? Get real. The question is not that hard. A list of opposite functions would be handy to have when solving for a variable in a complex algebraic equation.
micromass
Feb6-13, 05:47 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jeff12341234 View Post
no it's not. There are a few dozen we learn in algebra, another dozen from trig, only 2 from calc (d/dx and ∫ ), diff eq may add more to the list but I didn't notice any. you see? Get real. The question is not that hard
So, you are saying that there are only a finite number of bijective functions in existence? Do you have any proof/evidence for that?
micromass
Feb6-13, 05:49 PM
Mentor
Anyway, the OP is just a troll, so I'm locking this.

Register to reply