Register to reply

Magnetic dipole interaction

by darkdave
Tags: magnetic dipole
Share this thread:
darkdave
Feb8-13, 01:03 PM
P: 21
I am simulating protons and electrons in a simulator that runs 1 femto seconds per second up to 1 second per second. So it can accurately show the passage of charge particles through space with data being updated on their displacement, velocity and acceleration.

However I am now adding in rotational data. This means that I need to simulate angular momentum and torque.

How do I do this?

For the electron do I have to calculate the torque at the classical electron radius at each pole due to magnetic interaction with other charged particle poles?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Refocusing research into high-temperature superconductors
Neutron tomography technique reveals phase fractions of crystalline materials in 3-dimensions
Tiny magnets, huge fields: Nanoscale ferromagnetic electrodes create chemical equivalent of solid-state spin valve
mfb
Feb8-13, 05:26 PM
Mentor
P: 11,631
In a classical simulation, particles cannot rotate. If you want "rotating" particles, you need quantum mechanics - and if spin is relevant, I would expect that everything else should use quantum mechanics as well.
darkdave
Feb8-13, 11:56 PM
I am aware of the quantum complication but at the same time i can still create a bhor model intepretation since i know the angular momentum of the particle and its mass and classical radius. I just need to know how to simulate the particles changing orientation due to torque caused by external magnetic fields. Wether i choose to show particles spinning or not is irrelevant to what im asking since all i should be concerned about is the angular momentum of the particle.

mfb
Feb9-13, 04:32 AM
Mentor
Magnetic dipole interaction

The Bohr model works reasonably well for hydrogen-like atoms without spin, and nothing else, as far as I know.

I just need to know how to simulate the particles changing orientation due to torque caused by external magnetic fields.
For homogeneous fields, spin is irrelevant, and you just have the usual formula ##F=q\vec{v}\times \vec{B}##.
darkdave
Feb9-13, 04:38 AM
What is the vector B representing in that formula?
darkdave
Feb9-13, 04:42 AM
ok i looked up that formula Force = charge velocity cross product magnetic field. The vector representing Magnetic field does it point to the center of the particle that acts like a magnet? For example is B pointing to the center of an electron if we are modeling 2 electrons that are interacting not just electrically but magnetically as well due to each of them having a magnetic field due to their intrinsic angular momentum
darkdave
Feb9-13, 04:43 AM
Also what if the velocity of the particle is ZERO? Isnt the current orientation more relevant here?
darkdave
Feb9-13, 04:46 AM
so think about it this way, we have 2 electrons each with a north and south magnetic pole and i want to simulate each electron turning its North Poles toward the other electron's South Pole. And each like poles repelling each other. So basicly i need to know torque.
mfb
Feb9-13, 05:26 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by darkdave View Post
The vector representing Magnetic field does it point to the center of the particle that acts like a magnet?
No. A proper classical treatment would involve retarded potentials.
Don't forget the electric part, it will be retarded as well.
Also what if the velocity of the particle is ZERO?
Then the force due to the magnetic field is zero.
Isnt the current orientation more relevant here?
Electric current implies a non-zero velocity, I don't understand the question.
so think about it this way, we have 2 electrons each with a north and south magnetic pole
Electrons do not have poles. And they cannot rotate in a classical way.
darkdave
Feb9-13, 05:29 AM
What about this article? Sounds to me electrons have a magnetic field of their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro..._dipole_moment

Also are you saying that an electron HAS NO ORIENTATION?

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
No. A proper classical treatment would involve retarded potentials.
Don't forget the electric part, it will be retarded as well.

Then the force due to the magnetic field is zero.

Electric current implies a non-zero velocity, I don't understand the question.

Electrons do not have poles. And they cannot rotate in a classical way.
mfb
Feb9-13, 05:36 AM
Mentor
What about this article? Sounds to me electrons have a magnetic field of their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro..._dipole_moment
This is their spin, and it is not a classical property of the electron.
Also are you saying that an electron HAS NO ORIENTATION?
Not in the way that could always say "it points in this direction" in a meaningful way.
Electrons are point-like. What is the orientation of a point?
darkdave
Feb9-13, 06:18 AM
Quote Quote by mfb View Post
This is their spin, and it is not a classical property of the electron.

Not in the way that could always say "it points in this direction" in a meaningful way.
Electrons are point-like. What is the orientation of a point?
That link proves that Electrons have a MAGNETIC DIPOLE like MAGNETS. Meaning they have a NORTH AND SOUTH MAGNETIC POLE due to their "spin".

What I want to do is simulate electrons behaviour much like how real magnets behave when they are in close proximity. Their poles should point toward or away from other particle's dipoles.
darkdave
Feb9-13, 06:50 AM
That link proves that Electrons have a MAGNETIC DIPOLE like MAGNETS. Meaning they have a NORTH AND SOUTH MAGNETIC POLE due to their "spin".

What I want to do is simulate electrons behaviour much like how real magnets behave when they are in close proximity. Their poles should point toward or away from other particle's dipoles.
Wiki says

The electron is a charged particle of charge (−e), where e is the elementary charge. Its angular momentum comes from two types of rotation: spin and orbital motion. From classical electrodynamics, a rotating electrically charged body creates a magnetic dipole with magnetic poles of equal magnitude but opposite polarity. This analogy holds as an electron indeed behaves like a tiny bar magnet. One consequence is that an external magnetic field exerts a torque on the electron magnetic moment depending on its orientation with respect to the field.
mfb
Feb9-13, 11:18 AM
Mentor
A magnetic dipole is not something with a north- and a south-pole. The dipole has an orientation, but that can be a superposition of multiple possible orientations, and the strength of the dipole, measured in an arbitrary direction, is always a fixed number (for electrons) and just the sign is variable. There is no way to model this classically.

What I want to do is simulate electrons behaviour much like how real magnets behave when they are in close proximity.
I understand that you want to do that. But electrons do not behave like macroscopic magnets.
darkdave
Feb9-13, 12:20 PM
so what do you suggest is the best way to simulate electrons in as much classical way as possible?

I mean I know they dont have "spin": in the classic sense, but I can still make them spin based on known facts for example: the classical radius of the electron, the known mass and the known angular momentum. This way they behave in a way that is not true to reality but its still based on real data so intuitively it has some hidden truth.

What could I do for magnetic fields of the electron to do something similar to what i just proposed?
mfb
Feb9-13, 01:59 PM
Mentor
so what do you suggest is the best way to simulate electrons in as much classical way as possible?
That depends on the setup you want to evaluate.

I mean I know they dont have "spin": in the classic sense, but I can still make them spin based on known facts for example: the classical radius of the electron, the known mass and the known angular momentum. This way they behave in a way that is not true to reality but its still based on real data so intuitively it has some hidden truth.
Well, you don't have the g-factor there, for example.

What could I do for magnetic fields of the electron to do something similar to what i just proposed?
Depends on the setup.
darkdave
Feb9-13, 02:10 PM
can you propose a setup?

So far I know I want to show the electron spinning based on the available data of known intrinsic angular momentum, mass and classical electron radius. Can you use that as a setup? And fill in any blanks for me at your discretion.

I basicly want to show the particle changing orientation in real time in reaction to a neighboring particle's magnetic influence.

If it cannot be continuus then make compromises. I can make the particle perform discrete changes in orientation if need be. BUT I NEED A MODEL ANYKIND OF MODEL ASAP!! :)
mfb
Feb9-13, 03:00 PM
Mentor
can you propose a setup?
I thought you want to calculate something. How can I guess what that is?

I basicly want to show the particle changing orientation in real time in reaction to a neighboring particle's magnetic influence.
Are those particles slow (relative to the speed of light)? It might be possible to neglect any magnetic effects, as they have a relative influence of the order of v/c.

I doubt that the results will be good, but maybe you can add dipole-dipole interactions with the electron magnetic moment in a classical way. But if it does not influence anything, where is the point?

Register to reply