Register to reply

Basic Logic Gates / Pulse Train Problem (Includes Solution)

Share this thread:
s3a
Feb9-13, 01:44 PM
P: 580
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The problem and its solution are attached.

2. Relevant equations
N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm very confused about how output pulse trains work. I already checked online (including Wikipedia) so, could someone please give me an explanation of the absolute basics in an easy-to-understand way?

I'm confused about what the “rectangle-ness” around the numbers is for and how it works.

What I DO get is that the output is the same as the input A since input B is a constant 1 and, converting “1” to “True”, we get unknown AND True = unknown.

Any input for helping me fully understand this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
TheProblemAndSolution.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
mfb
Feb9-13, 02:13 PM
Mentor
P: 11,831
I'm confused about what the “rectangle-ness” around the numbers is for and how it works.
That is just a graphical representation of the input - the line is high for 1 and low for 0.
s3a
Feb9-13, 03:38 PM
Oh but, how do I know what A (and, by consequence, Y) is equal to?

In other words, what is the computational step (no matter how simple it may be)?

mfb
Feb9-13, 03:42 PM
Mentor
Basic Logic Gates / Pulse Train Problem (Includes Solution)

That is given there. Input A starts with a 1 (written above "a"), this is followed by a 0 ("b"), ...
Well, it could start with "h" as well, but that changes nothing.
s3a
Feb9-13, 03:50 PM
So, A is a sequence of digits rather than one final answer?

I was thinking it would be (a OR b OR c OR d OR e OR f OR g OR h) = (0 or 1) = A or something like that. (By a capital "OR", I am referring to boolean logic whereas with the lowercase "or", I am just stating that the final value of A is either a 0 or a 1.)

I'm still confused. (Sorry.)
mfb
Feb9-13, 03:51 PM
Mentor
So, A is a sequence of digits
A pulse train, right (where the individual bits are "wagons").
s3a
Feb9-13, 04:02 PM
1) Is the "rectangle-ness" part of the value A or is it just a fancy graphical drawing to what A really is which is only the individual digits (=wagons, as you mentioned in your last post)?

2) Is Y = {(a AND B),(b AND B),(c AND B),(d AND B),(e AND B),(f AND B),(g AND B),(h AND B)} = {(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1)}

3) Is a pulse train a SET of values (in the mathematical sense)?
mfb
Feb9-13, 04:06 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by s3a View Post
1) Is the "rectangle-ness" part of the value A or is it just a fancy graphical drawing to what A really is which is only the individual digits (=wagons, as you mentioned in your last post)?
It is the same as the written "0" and "1" - just another way to graph them.

2) Is Y = {(a AND B),(b AND B),(c AND B),(d AND B),(e AND B),(f AND B),(g AND B),(h AND B)} = {(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1),(1 AND 1),(0 AND 1)}
3) Is a pulse train a SET of values (in the mathematical sense)?
A sequence of values, they have some order.
s3a
Feb9-13, 04:10 PM
I think I get it now (thanks to what you said combined with looking at problems later in the book where B is not a constant 1 and applying what I now know).

Thanks. :)

Register to reply