Register to reply

Summer 2013 Math and Science REU Thread

by Stengah
Tags: 2013, math, physics, reu
Share this thread:
modnarandom
Feb6-13, 06:45 PM
P: 47
I think hsetennis is a high school senior. :O Also, that is a huge number of REUs. :O
hsetennis
Feb6-13, 06:52 PM
P: 116
Quote Quote by Stengah View Post
Well you are certainly qualified, lets hope they don't overlook the fact that you are young. What matters a lot in these is also your minority status and what type of school you go to, i.e. small liberal arts vs. big research university.
There is no way I would be considered a minority :(

Quote Quote by modnarandom View Post
I think hsetennis is a high school senior. :O Also, that is a huge number of REUs. :O
Right, I'll be an "incoming" freshman during the REU session. If I have a low chance as is, increasing the sample size would increase my odds of getting into at least one REU, which is really all that I'm praying for.
modnarandom
Feb6-13, 07:49 PM
P: 47
Wow. I understand, but thought it would have been really stressful. I also think that this doesn't leave too much time for each application. Another thing is that this contributes to the ridiculously large number of applications for a tiny number of spots. It is really nice to be able to do this before college, but I just thought that this is too stressful. I thought I wouldn't get in anywhere (planned to apply to 8) and then just decided to attend one that I was accepted to (was my top choice) as soon as I got an offer. So, it's pretty random and you shouldn't stress too much about it. You still have a lot of time since you're still in high school.
dh363
Feb8-13, 05:59 AM
P: 33
I got emailed back by one of the SMALL faculty members yesterday asking me to email him some idea on one of the projects, and to call him to talk about it. Is this normal/any advice? Pretty nervous about this. Pouring through references they provided all night. Sleep time.
Hercuflea
Feb8-13, 08:17 AM
P: 333
I got emailed back by one of the SMALL faculty members yesterday asking me to email him some idea on one of the projects, and to call him to talk about it. Is this normal/any advice? Pretty nervous about this. Pouring through references they provided all night. Sleep time.
Yes this is fine. This is my first REU this summer and I have contacted my prof about the project. Actually, I think it is encouraged. I don't think they expect you to be a master of the project before you even get started, so relax.
usnavi13
Feb8-13, 05:28 PM
P: 20
Quote Quote by dh363 View Post
I also got an e-mail about being on the "short list" for one of the SMALL projects. But I'm kind of confused. The professor sent about 10 technical papers for us to read, as well as a list of questions for each paper... but he says it's "optional." Is anyone else in this boat? How are you approaching it? This is something I would normally want to devote a lot of time to, but he said he wants our responses by Sunday evening. Is this normal?
dh363
Feb8-13, 07:06 PM
P: 33
Mine was a lot more vague. Just asked to talk to him about my "ideas.". Makes it tough to prepare for. A pretty good way to get a sense of what mathematical level I naturally think at I guess. I'm looking through references provided on the page.
usnavi13
Feb9-13, 09:58 AM
Quote Quote by dh363 View Post
Mine was a lot more vague. Just asked to talk to him about my "ideas.". Makes it tough to prepare for. A pretty good way to get a sense of what mathematical level I naturally think at I guess. I'm looking through references provided on the page.
Are you up for the Probability and Number Theory project, or a different one?
dustbin
Feb9-13, 12:46 PM
P: 239
Declined by Duluth...
MechE2015
Feb9-13, 03:59 PM
Do you guys think I would have a decent chance at an engineering REU with relatively little physics course completion (physics I and II, thermodynamics)? I have mathematics completed up to and including differential equations, chemistry I and II, little research at a small university, and a 3.9 GPA. Any comments would be appreciated!
Hercuflea
Feb9-13, 04:47 PM
Quote Quote by MechE2015 View Post
Do you guys think I would have a decent chance at an engineering REU with relatively little physics course completion (physics I and II, thermodynamics)? I have mathematics completed up to and including differential equations, chemistry I and II, little research at a small university, and a 3.9 GPA. Any comments would be appreciated!
I am doing an engineering REU this summer and I have almost your background exactly (math major). I will have phys 1, 2, thermo, and radiation phys completed before the REU. Although I do feel a little bit unprepared.
MechE2015
Feb9-13, 05:22 PM
I'm really hoping for one this summer, I applied for a handful so I'm crossing my fingers. However, like you said, I would be nervous/feel unprepared, but I also think a lot of it is learn-as-you-go as well.
ktb
Feb9-13, 07:58 PM
P: 45
Quote Quote by MechE2015 View Post
Assuming you are either a freshman or sophomore I would say it is pretty unlikely to get accepted. Your resume is great, but with the incredible amount of people applying to so few spots it is rare for non-juniors to get accepted.

Other factors that could help or hurt you.
1. If you are either a minority or a women you have a much greater chance of getting accepted.
2. Being from a small university helps your case. Most programs like to accept students from small schools that offer very little research opportunities.

Last year, as a sophomore, I had a very similar resume to yours now except I had research experience and attended a large state school with plenty of opportunities. I applied to 13 and didn't get accepted anywhere. It's sort of a crap shoot and maybe you'll have better chances than I did since you are coming from a small school. However, don't be too disappointed if you are denied everywhere. You always have next year and just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.
ktb
Feb9-13, 08:02 PM
P: 45
Quote Quote by ktb View Post
Assuming you are either a freshman or sophomore I would say it is pretty unlikely to get accepted. Your resume is great, but with the incredible amount of people applying to so few spots it is rare for non-juniors to get accepted.

Other factors that could help or hurt you.
1. If you are either a minority or a women you have a much greater chance of getting accepted.
2. Being from a small university helps your case. Most programs like to accept students from small schools that offer very little research opportunities.

Last year, as a sophomore, I had a very similar resume to yours now except I had research experience and attended a large state school with plenty of opportunities. I applied to 13 and didn't get accepted anywhere. It's sort of a crap shoot and maybe you'll have better chances than I did since you are coming from a small school. However, don't be too disappointed if you are denied everywhere. You always have next year and just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.
Ooops I read and responded to your post assuming you were applying to physics REUs. I can't speak for engineering REUs, but I'm sure they're very competitive as well...
Hercuflea
Feb9-13, 08:09 PM
just remember that getting accepted to REU programs is significantly harder than getting accepted to grad programs.
Really? Is that your intuition or do you know of some statistics that indicate this? I would be really interested in finding out more info.
Stengah
Feb9-13, 08:36 PM
P: 235
Quote Quote by Hercuflea View Post
Really? Is that your intuition or do you know of some statistics that indicate this? I would be really interested in finding out more info.
There are statistics. Last year UC Davis reported getting over 500 applications for about 10 spots. Even unknown schools get about 100 applications for 10 spots or less.
Takuza
Feb9-13, 09:58 PM
P: 40
Ooops I read and responded to your post assuming you were applying to physics REUs. I can't speak for engineering REUs, but I'm sure they're very competitive as well...
While competitive, I don't think engineering REU's are as competitive as those for physics (or even biology for that matter). Nearly every physics major plans on going to grad school, where as most engineering majors will be seeking internships over the summer. Pre-med and physics research programs are probably notably more competitive than all others.
James LeBron
Feb10-13, 11:10 PM
P: 23
Got an offer from UNC Greensboro a few days ago for algorithmic combinatorics on words. I will likely accept, so let me know if you're going. I applied to 12 places, but it looks like I'll be withdrawing my application for 11 of them soon.

Register to reply