Register to reply

Why is homeopathy and alternative medicines not illegal?

by misnderstudge
Tags: alternative, homeopathy, illegal, medicines
Share this thread:
Evo
Feb10-13, 07:52 PM
Mentor
P: 26,425
This forum is for valid science, not personal opinions and guesses. If you are claiming something works, for whatever reason, you must also post the mainstream, peer reviewed studies about that particular substance from an acceptable journal.
RabbitWho
Feb11-13, 03:16 PM
P: 103
Who are you talking to?
misnderstudge
Feb11-13, 03:27 PM
P: 40
Who are you talking, to me or evo, if me everyone who looks at this, and evo I THINK is talking about a few who don't understand the question or came out with rather misguided answers, they have been deleted i think. I think that is it
RabbitWho
Feb11-13, 03:38 PM
Quote Quote by misnderstudge View Post
Who are you talking, to me or evo, if me everyone who looks at this, and evo I THINK is talking about a few who don't understand the question or came out with rather misguided answers, they have been deleted i think. I think that is it
Cool, thanks. I asked a question and it was deleted, or I never clicked send. I don't know which!

I know that there is proof that placebos work for pain (https://itunes.apple.com/itunes-u/ps...54824511?mt=10) but I wanted to know if there was proof or studies about whether positive thinking helped people recover.
misnderstudge
Feb11-13, 04:10 PM
Yeah but it may not be like that it maybe more survival. Lets say if 50 medically similar and similar aged people brake there spine and damage there cord the same way. pushing them self at the same level. Now say some get highly stressed and some don't 25/25 mentally stressed of course the ones who are less stressed should recover faster but that stress can be helped by doctors, nurses, carers, physical therapists, pharmacist, psychologists, family's friends and or course them self etc
RabbitWho
Feb11-13, 04:29 PM
What you're saying is there's no way to do a controlled experiment, there would be too many variables. I guess so!

It's not like a placebo vs. no placebo test where you get it or you don't get it, there are so many ways to define stress and it is very subjective. I don't like the idea of subjecting people with spinal injuries to long questionnaires about how relaxed and cheerful they feel.
misnderstudge
Feb11-13, 04:49 PM
No but look at how they look and act are they unstable, angry, upset not pushing them self hard enough example are they "giving up"etc and ask there family are they normally like that, word it different than i did. Also ask the patient questions ie how are you Mr patient note what they say how they look and do you believe they feel fine if they say they are. but get psychologist to record the body language etc. But i think that sort of research has been done
RabbitWho
Feb11-13, 04:50 PM
Quote Quote by misnderstudge View Post
No but are the unusable, angry, upset not pushing them self etc and ask family are they normally like that, word it different than that. Also ask the patient questions ie how are you Mr smith note what they say how they look and do you believe they feel fine. but get psychologist to record. But i think that sort of research has been done
I am sorry I don't understand what you wrote.
misnderstudge
Feb11-13, 05:10 PM
I edited it
Evo
Feb11-13, 05:31 PM
Mentor
The dangers of homeopathy are the people that are actually ill and need real medical care. People that are sold water, which is basically all that homeopathic products are, and told that it will cure them, will fail to get medical help, they can potentially die or their conditions can become incurable. The peddlers of homeopathic products aren't just appealing to people with minor headaches or imaginary illnesses that can be "cured" by a placebo.
hiranyu
Feb13-13, 02:12 PM
P: 1
Why on Earth do you feel the need to make something illegal just because you don't think it is ok?

I am more offended by your "let's make it illegal because I am convinced it is junk" than the thing you wish to make illegal.
misnderstudge
Feb13-13, 04:32 PM
You clearly have no idea about the subject, it kills people because they don't know better or more about the science of medicine. All so some people get rich that is ok but i think it should be band because people really do die and because of this i am the bad guy. Wake up and smell the coffee i work as a medic no not a doctor but on ambulances. So i know enough to know it is unfair on the clients
AnTiFreeze3
Feb13-13, 10:56 PM
P: 246
Quote Quote by hiranyu View Post
Why on Earth do you feel the need to make something illegal just because you don't think it is ok?

I am more offended by your "let's make it illegal because I am convinced it is junk" than the thing you wish to make illegal.
Let's replace the "it" in "you don't think it is ok?" with anything else horribly wrong:

Why on Earth do you feel the need to make murder illegal just because you don't think murder is ok?

Why on Earth do you feel the need to make rape illegal just because you don't think rape is ok?

Some things are simply immoral. If you fail to see why conning innocent people out of their money is wrong, or if you fail to see how lying to people in scenarios which could endanger their lives is wrong, then I would be very worried for you.

Obviously people have reasons for thinking that something is wrong. If you cared to read a single post in this thread, then you would be adequately supplied with reasons explaining why homeopathy is wrong. Instead of making incredibly vague assertions about you being offended, I recommend that you try arguing against the given reasons, instead of arguing about the fact that we're arguing.
Evo
Feb13-13, 11:20 PM
Mentor
Seems people aren't reading, aren't grasping what's been said, or don't care to read or understand. Time to close.

Register to reply