Integer Coeffieicent of Degree

by shihabdider
Tags: coeffieicent, degree, integer
Share this thread:
shihabdider
Feb11-13, 05:46 PM
P: 9
Hello all,

Can anyone explain what "Integer Coefficient of Degree n" where n is some positive integer (e.g 6) of a polynomial refers to?

I know what integers and coefficients are but I don't know what the above refers to. For example if you had something like this:

Suppose some polynomial f(x) exists with integer coefficients of degree 12 where f(0)=2

What would this polynomial look like/ how would you write or calculate the expression?

Thank You
Shihab
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Petek
Feb11-13, 06:44 PM
P: 361
Suppose some polynomial f(x) exists with integer coefficients of degree 12 where f(0)=2
I think that the phrase "of degree 12" refers to the polynomial, not the integer coefficients. A better way to write the sentence is

Suppose that there exists a polynomial of degree 12 and having integer coefficients such that f(0) = 2.
HallsofIvy
Feb24-13, 08:48 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Or:
"Suppose some polynomial f(x) exists, with integer coefficients, of degree 12 where f(0)=2"

Note the commas. Stll better would be
"Suppose some polynomial f(x), with integer coefficients, exists, of degree 12 where f(0)=2

Register to reply