PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
turbo
Feb12-13, 01:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Maine has the most moronic governor ever. Paul LePage has proposed that if a student needs remedial courses to get into college, the school district needs to pay for them, since the public school system "failed" the student. Most rational people would reason that if the student wouldn't or couldn't do the class-work that would qualify them to attend college, the property-owners in the school district should not be penalized for that failure. Not LePage. He constantly rails against all public employees as lazy and corrupt, and he has a very special contempt for our public education system.

http://www.kjonline.com/news/demand-...013-02-06.html
Jimmy Snyder
Feb12-13, 02:17 PM
P: 2,179
And now for sports. In basketball, my son made the cut for the upper level team although it made him the weakest player. This team consists of 10 players, deployed in 4 minute sessions of 5 players each against a far superior opposing team. The coach told the opposing players to step up the pressure and as a result, my son's team was way outclassed. None the less, my son gave his best effort and did a very good job in blocking, rebounding, and even got in a basket. Not only did he rise to the challenge, but for the first time since he started playing, he was smiling on the court. The opposing team quickly racked up an 18 to 2 score and it was starting to look like a rout. However, the special needs team found their groove and the final score was opposition 65, special needs 50. In other basketball news, Marquette, TCU, Old Dominion, and Grambling all lost.
turbo
Feb12-13, 02:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Good news, Jimmy.
rootX
Feb12-13, 10:10 PM
P: 1,294
How often lightning hits the Catholic building?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810
AnTiFreeze3
Feb12-13, 11:53 PM
P: 246
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
... my son made the cut for the upper level team although it made him the weakest player ...
I'm in a similar situation; my team is great, and I'm glad to be a part of it, but I'm one of the worst players on the team.

It still doesn't make the experience any less enjoyable, and it's great that your son is having fun out there on the court, because in the end, that's the most important reason for playing.
HeLiXe
Feb13-13, 12:08 AM
P: 410
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Yeah, good luck!

I would put my name in, too. But 1) I refuse to be celibate, 2) I'm atheist, and 3) I don't have testicles.

Well #1 isn't a deal-breaker, probably #2 isn't either.
Oh my mind took this so many places and none of them are forum friendly.
HeLiXe
Feb13-13, 12:10 AM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Just ate a Marie Callendar's microwaved chicken pot pie. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 1.5. The crust turned out great, but the crust was the only thing worth eating. When I broke through the top crust, the pie was empty except for a bit of white sauce, 2 tiny carrot rounds, one of which was soggy and chewy, 5 peas and two pieces of chicken at the bottom. Although it was salted, it had no flavor at all. None. If I had been blindfolded, I would not have been able to tell you that it was supposed to be chicken it had no chicken flavor. Bland, tasteless, almost no product. Will never buy another.
well at least it's good for comedy relief!
Ivan Seeking
Feb13-13, 12:17 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
well at least it's good for comedy relief!
I've been on a low-carb diet for over two years now and I don't eat bread. It is always interesting when I am forced to stop and buy a prepackaged sandwich; when on the run and I need to eat some protein. I just eat the meat and any tomatoes or lettuce, and throw away the bread. But what I throw away weighs almost as much as the original product.

It is the same with a typical burger. I would bet that at least 80% of the weight is grease and bread.
HeLiXe
Feb13-13, 12:26 AM
Wow two years! I guess it really suits you. I'm prone to do the opposite with sandwiches...like ordering cheeseburgers with no meat from McDonalds. I tried low carb before and did miserably, but I think I went about it wrong--should've upped the green veggies.
dkotschessaa
Feb13-13, 07:16 AM
P: 586
My Dr. prescribed me a very low carb diet, though for years I used to rail against the Heart Attacktins diet. Though it makes sense for my reactive hypoglycemia, I'm worried about other effects...
OmCheeto
Feb13-13, 09:00 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by HeLiXe View Post
Oh my mind took this so many places and none of them are forum friendly.
That, is known as wisdom.

(Knowing when not to post what runs through your mind.)

---------------------------------
The one I had trouble not commenting on was #3
3) I don't have testicles.
To which I would respond;
Testicles, schmesticles, they're all nads to me.
The question is, how will you look in a Pagan fish hat,
a long flowing robe,
and a ruby red pair of slippers"?
PeteyCoco
Feb13-13, 10:11 AM
P: 36
I keep thinking about how great it would be to have a friend that would want to study something new with me over the summer. I've taught myself some subjects last summer, but it's really hard to not be lazy sometimes. If I had a group that would carry out readings and problem sets each week, we would breeze through a lot of material. A science book-club is what I'm talking about I guess. Has such a thing ever happened on PF?
Kholdstare
Feb13-13, 11:26 AM
P: 390
Quote Quote by Borek View Post

(by Dorothee Golz)

Can't say I like her other works, but this one is absolutely perfect.
THIS GIRL. Reminds me of someone.
collinsmark
Feb13-13, 11:29 AM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,924
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I've been on a low-carb diet for over two years now and I don't eat bread. It is always interesting when I am forced to stop and buy a prepackaged sandwich; when on the run and I need to eat some protein. I just eat the meat and any tomatoes or lettuce, and throw away the bread. But what I throw away weighs almost as much as the original product.

It is the same with a typical burger. I would bet that at least 80% of the weight is grease and bread.
There are several fast food chains that now carefully wrap the burger in a leaf of lettuce, rather than a bun, if ordered as such. It may be a little messy, but is possible to eat with one's hands, although you might want to have a stash of napkins.

In-and-out: order the burger/double-double "protein style."
Carl's Junior: $6 Low-Carb Burger. Hardee's probably has something similar.

There may be others.
Quote Quote by dkotschessaa View Post
My Dr. prescribed me a very low carb diet, though for years I used to rail against the Heart Attacktins diet. Though it makes sense for my reactive hypoglycemia, I'm worried about other effects...
Many (most) of the anti-Atkins diet hoopla is overblown. I encourage you to research it though. And with that I encourage you to trust studies involving actual data from people who have actually been on the diet, and not some physician's speculation of what might happen if one goes on the diet.
Borek
Feb13-13, 11:42 AM
Admin
P: 23,369
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
I doubt you are old enough to know her.
Andre
Feb13-13, 11:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Quote Quote by Kholdstare View Post
Of course, but then again, she is everywhere.
Ivan Seeking
Feb13-13, 12:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by collinsmark View Post
There are several fast food chains that now carefully wrap the burger in a leaf of lettuce, rather than a bun, if ordered as such. It may be a little messy, but is possible to eat with one's hands, although you might want to have a stash of napkins.

In-and-out: order the burger/double-double "protein style."
Car's Junior: $6 Low-Carb Burger. Hardee's probably has something similar.

There may be others.
Yep! I lost 55 pounds on a diet rich in Carls Jr., 6 Dollar Gaucamole Bacon Burgers, ordered as a lettuce wrap, of course! Now THATS a diet I can live with.

And you've gotta love a diet where BBQ'd steak tops the menu.

Many (most) of the anti-Atkins diet hoopla is overblown. I encourage you to research it though. And with that I encourage you to trust studies involving actual data from people who have actually been on the diet, and not some physician's speculation of what might happen if one goes on the diet.
It is controversial, but I too have blood sugar issues, and this has all but elimated the problem entirely... for the first time in my life, I should add. This has changed my life dramatically. And, interestingly, my immune system seems to be far stronger than most people around me. I haven't been sick in over two years, which has never happened before, and I've been surrounded by sick people lately. I did finally get the sniffles for a couple of days but never got hit hard like everyone else, not yet anyway.
zoobyshoe
Feb13-13, 01:02 PM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Of course, but then again, she is everywhere.
There is a recent novel titled after the painting and apparently it is very popular. I haven't read it, myself. It did wonders reviving interest in the painting.

Register to reply