Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Frimus
Feb13-13, 09:26 AM
P: 18
Can someone tell me please, what is the difference between:

- World Scientific Pub Co Inc edition (May 1998) ISBN-10: 9810227078 (Amazon price $73.00)
and
- World Scientific Pub Co Inc edition (March 1998) ISBN-10: 9810241054 (Amazon price $55.35)

and what causes such a big difference in price?

Thanks,
Zdenek
Jorriss
Feb13-13, 09:39 AM
P: 1,025
This book covers a few topics I do not think are covered well, or at all, in other texts, such as state preparation. It's a great book.

Frimus
Feb13-13, 11:16 AM
P: 18

Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development by Ballentine

I have resolved the mystery. ISBN-10: 9810227078 edition is a hardcover. Amazon erroneously lists it as a paperback.
see: Quantum Mechanics A Modern Development
xepma
Feb14-13, 05:17 AM
P: 527
Great book, that offers a few insights not found in other book. Not suitable as an introductory text.
DrDu
Feb26-13, 04:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,375
The only textbook I know which starts with the representation theory of the Galilei group (it is a book about non-relativistic QM) and considers quantisation in that context, which is the proper way to go. Very recommendable.
WannabeNewton
Oct16-13, 12:24 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,938
Am I the only one who finds like a bajillion typos on every other page in this text?
Daverz
Oct17-13, 05:39 AM
P: 885
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Am I the only one who finds like a bajillion typos on every other page in this text?
What printing to you have?
WannabeNewton
Oct17-13, 07:26 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
The 1998 edition apparently.
George Jones
Oct17-13, 11:31 AM
Mentor
P: 6,044
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
The 1998 edition apparently.
A particular edition of a book can have several printing runs, and typos often are corrected from one printing run to the next, without increasing the edition number or the year of publication.

For example, I have the 2006 printing of the 1998 edition of Ballentine.
WannabeNewton
Oct18-13, 08:24 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
A particular edition of a book can have several printing runs, and typos often are corrected from one printing run to the next, without increasing the edition number or the year of publication.

For example, I have the 2006 printing of the 1998 edition of Ballentine.
Awesome, thanks! I'll check out the latest printing then.
atyy
Jan11-14, 03:18 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,007
I would recommend learning quantum mechanics from a textbook such as Landau & Lifshutz; Cohen-Tannoudji, Diu & LaLoŽ; Shankar; Sakurai & Napolitano; Weinberg; Nielsen & Chuang; Benenti, Casati & Strini; or Wiseman & Milburn; before reading Ballentine.

Ballentine makes several errors such as his discussion of the quantum Zeno effect and the outdated comments on renormalization. However, these may be incidental and minor, as even Feynman makes an elementary mistake in one appplication of Gauss's law in his justly celebrated Lectures.

What is structurally non-standard, and perhaps erroneous, is Ballentine's apparent rejection of the projection postulate mentioned in the above textbooks without replacing it with something effectively equivalent, in his discussion of filtering measurements as a means of state preparation. I do believe there are interpretations such as Bohmian mechanics, and probably many-worlds which can do without collapse or state reduction or the projection postulate (whatever one calls it). However, it is not clear to me if this is possible in Ballentine's version of the ensemble interpretation.

In particular it is unclear to me whether Ballentine's Eq 9.30 is postulated or claimed to be (partially) derived. If it is postulated, there is no problem, because it is a postulate effectively equivalent to collapse. A second mistake Ballentine seems to make is his unacknowledged use of the projection postulate in assuming that the improper mixture represented by the reduced density matrix can be treated as a proper mixture. The effective equivalence between collapse and the equivalence of proper and improper mixtures is agreed upon by Schlosshauer's 2003 review on decoherence and by Raimond and Haroche in "Exploring the Quantum".

I would also like to note that another famous book often cited for the ensemble interpretation is Peres's. There, it seems to me, instead of collapse, he postulates "blurring" of the Wigner function. I have to say I like Peres's book very much.

I do believe there is a correct presentation of the ensemble interpretation, which makes it clear that it is not at odds with the "orthodox" or "naive textbook" interpretation. This is found in LaloŽ's "Do we really understand quantum mechanics?" http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0209123, where it is clear that a new postulate is necessary if collapse is rejected. For those who would like to make a detailed comparison of Ballentine's and LaloŽ's treatments, LaloŽ's Eq 37 is Ballentine's Eq 9.30, if one takes into account LaloŽ's footnote 41.

Register to reply