Physics Teacher to Electrical Engineer

In summary, if you have a physics degree and pass the Fundamentals of Engineering exam, you can study for and take the PE exam. This is not a requirement for most engineering jobs, but is often an indicator of competency.
mishima
I'm currently a high school physics teacher with BS in Physics and Astronomy, and will have a master of arts in teaching (physics) by this summer. I was just curious what it might take to start a career in electrical engineering at this point. Would I have to do an entire EE degree? Or could I just study and take the EE exam? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
mishima said:
I'm currently a high school physics teacher with BS in Physics and Astronomy, and will have a master of arts in teaching (physics) by this summer. I was just curious what it might take to start a career in electrical engineering at this point. Would I have to do an entire EE degree? Or could I just study and take the EE exam? Thanks.

What "THE EE exam"? Is there even such a thing?

Zz.

Well, this 2009 American source I came across (since posting) lists 4 requirements to be a professional engineer:

1. BS in engineering from accredited college
2. Completion of the FE exam (fundamentals of engineering, 8 hour national exam, administered by National Council for Engineers and Surveyors (NCEES). Half of which is entirely in your specialty area, for example electrical)
3. 2-4 years experience after completing the FE
4. Completion of the PE exam (principles and practice of engineering, another huge national test)

So I am wondering if I really need to do an entire degree or if some of the classes from my physics degree will cross over. Or if I can take the first exam without a degree. Or, I suppose, if any of this is even accurate.

mishima said:

You can take a Master's course in EE after BS in physics if the electrical department supports interdisciplinary study.

ZapperZ said:
What "THE EE exam"? Is there even such a thing?

Zz.

None that I'm aware of.

mishima said:

Whether taking the PE has any value depends on your State - in most States you need a BS in an engineering discipline from an acredited program.

More importantly, though, is whether you have any skills that an employer could use. There's no test that will demonstrate you have those skills, and college coursework may not help, either.

You need to look at your current skill set and identify industriest hat need it.

As pointed out a MSEE would serve you better than a BSEE. You may want to look through some basic circuit analysis, signal processing, controls stuff to make sure you feel comfortable with it though.

At my previous employer they would consider hiring a physics degree if the person had passed the FE test (showed they had basic EE knowledge). So that might be something you could look into. As was stated previous most states I am aware of require PEs to have engineering work experience.

Glancing at some university course packages, it seems a focus on circuits and electronics is usually an option. I really just want to develop the ability to think of problem solutions using circuits I can build. But I'm not so interested in programming and the computer side of it. I like to think of the components themselves and how they interact physically.

What is the difference between a physics teacher and an electrical engineer?

A physics teacher is someone who teaches the fundamental concepts and principles of physics to students, while an electrical engineer is a trained professional who designs, develops, and maintains electrical systems and devices.

What skills from teaching physics can be applied to working as an electrical engineer?

Teaching physics requires strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are also necessary for success in the field of electrical engineering. In addition, a physics teacher may have a solid understanding of basic physics principles that can be directly applied to designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

Do physics teachers need additional education or training to become electrical engineers?

In most cases, yes. While teaching physics provides a strong foundation in physics principles, becoming an electrical engineer typically requires a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some physics teachers may choose to pursue additional education or training to transition into this field.

What job opportunities are available for someone making the transition from physics teacher to electrical engineer?

As an electrical engineer, there are a variety of job opportunities available in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, power systems, and renewable energy. Some may also choose to work in research and development or pursue a career in academia.

What advice would you give to someone considering a career change from physics teacher to electrical engineer?

If you are considering a career change to become an electrical engineer, it is important to research the field and gain a solid understanding of the necessary education and skills. It may also be beneficial to gain some hands-on experience through internships or entry-level positions in the field. Networking with professionals in the industry can also provide valuable insights and opportunities.