Find the Acceleration of the two joined Blocks

by Northbysouth
Tags: acceleration, blocks, joined
Northbysouth
Feb15-13, 05:35 PM
P: 248
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The sliders A and B are connected by a light rigid bar of length l = 0.50 m and move with negligible friction in the slots, both of which lie in a horizontal plane. For the position where xA = 0.4 m, the velocity of A is vA = 0.80 m/s to the right. Determine the acceleration of each slider and the force in the bar at this instant. The acceleration of A is positive if to the right. The acceleration of B is positive if up (if that is the right word in this horizontal plane). The force in the rod is positive if in tension. Remember that the motion takes place in a horizontal plane, so the force of gravity is not a factor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew FBD of blocks A and B.

Block A has force P acting on it to the right, and there is a force F pointing along the direction of the attached rod.

ƩRx = maA = P - Fcos(phi)

Then I drew a FBD of block B which has the force F acting on it as well in the direction of the rod. Aside from this I can't see any other forces acting on block B.

ƩFz = maA = -Fcos(θ)

After this I'm stuck. I think I need another relationship, one relating the acceleration of block A and B. I'm thinking the Pythagoras theorem would work, but I'm not sure, how I should adapt it for this situation.

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
dyn 3.032.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
NascentOxygen
Feb15-13, 06:44 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,715
For the triangle, x + y = 0.5

If you differentiate this twice w.r.t. time, you'll have the acceleration of x ❲viz., dx/dt❳ related to the acceleration of y ❲viz., dy/dt

Does this sound like the method you expect? I don't want to mislead you, I don't know whether calculus is essential to solving this.

Register to reply