Register to reply

How can I pay for access to all academic journals?

by g.lemaitre
Tags: academic, access, journals
Share this thread:
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 03:52 PM
P: 274
I'm dead, finished, there's no hope for me. My dreams to become a tenured professor are ruined unless I can find a way to read academic journals again. I was reading academic journals using my alum account with my university but they recently took those privileges away for unknown reasons. If I can't find a way to read academic journals than I'm finished and I will never get to become a professor. Actually, I guess it's more about doing my research then becoming a professor. I'm going to try to beg of course to get those privileges back, using even bribery but I don't think they will listen. I know how these people work. They don't like to help people.

There's lots of open access journals out there but that's not good enough. I need access to all journals. I've tried subscribing to J-stor and Ebsco but they won't let you. They don't want to sell their services.

I need to find some service that allows me to pay a reasonable price (200 dollars a year) to read all academic journals.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Ryan_m_b
Feb20-13, 04:31 PM
Mentor
P: 5,472
If you want to become a tenured professor then you're going to have to get a job as a faculty member at a university. Obviously this will get you an institutional login to access journals for your research which will be necessary to become a professor.
jesse73
Feb20-13, 05:15 PM
P: 446
a postdoc or some other type of research position is necessary to even stay in the game for becoming a professor.

g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 06:37 PM
How can I pay for access to all academic journals?

I can't even get into graduate school because I got bad grades as an undergrad back in 2000. To get back into the academic game I need to publish a book that amazes everyone. I can't publish a book unless I have access to academic journals.
Choppy
Feb20-13, 06:54 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,718
You may want to try enrolling in a continuing education class with a university that will extend library priviledges to you. This is probably the easiest way to maintain such access and likely isn't that expensive. It does require you to put forth some effort into a class though.

I'm not sure your "publish a book that amazes everyone" theory for getting into academia is the most constructive avenue to pursue if you're really serious about it. But certainly reading the literature about your interests is.
Number Nine
Feb20-13, 07:02 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by g.lemaitre View Post
I can't even get into graduate school because I got bad grades as an undergrad back in 2000. To get back into the academic game I need to publish a book that amazes everyone. I can't publish a book unless I have access to academic journals.
You will not become a tenured professor by publishing a book. You will need a doctorate; you will also need to have performed original research. How do you intend to do either of these things without going to graduate school?
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 07:06 PM
Quote Quote by Choppy View Post
You may want to try enrolling in a continuing education class with a university that will extend library priviledges to you. This is probably the easiest way to maintain such access and likely isn't that expensive. It does require you to put forth some effort into a class though.

I'm not sure your "publish a book that amazes everyone" theory for getting into academia is the most constructive avenue to pursue if you're really serious about it. But certainly reading the literature about your interests is.
Actually I did that in 2011. I enrolled in some undergrad classes that I hoped would convince admins that I was serious about going back to grad school. It didn't. Plus the costs and the time took away from my research. It was then that I resolved was that the only avenue to get back into academia was to publish something. I'm actually in philosophy and literature but with a heavy science focus. Most of the assistant humanities professors haven't published a book or barely even an article. So if you can publish a book you're already more accomplished than about 70% of the humanities phds.

Incidentally since this is a physics website I guess everyone has heard of Finnegans Wake given the name quarks. Well, I'm one of the top experts on that book in the world though not the top. It's quite obvious who the top expert but he can't publish a book on the Wake because he doesn't want to.
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 07:07 PM
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
You will not become a tenured professor by publishing a book. You will need a doctorate; you will also need to have performed original research. How do you intend to do either of these things without going to graduate school?
First, publish a book, then go to grad school.
Number Nine
Feb20-13, 07:23 PM
P: 772
So if you can publish a book you're already more accomplished than about 70% of the humanities phds.
No. Most PhD's don't publish books because publishing books is not what PhD's do.
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 07:27 PM
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
No. Most PhD's don't publish books because publishing books is not what PhD's do.
In the sciences, but not in philosophy. But in order to publish an academic book you have to start out with papers. No publisher will publish an academic book unless the author has a trackrecord. That's why I'm starting out with papers.
Jorriss
Feb20-13, 07:47 PM
P: 1,066
Your idea will not work, at all. You need to figure out how to get into graduate school in physics. Looking at your posts, you need to get a formal education in physics before thinking about writing a book.
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 08:02 PM
Quote Quote by Jorriss View Post
Your idea will not work, at all. You need to figure out how to get into graduate school in physics. Looking at your posts, you need to get a formal education in physics before thinking about writing a book.
I'm not trying to get into grad school in physics but in philosophy or poetry.

In any case, suffice it say no one knows how I can find a way to read academic journals without paying a uni tuition.
Vanadium 50
Feb20-13, 09:01 PM
Mentor
P: 16,356
The problem is not that they are unavailable. The problem is that you don't want to pay what the publisher charges. That's not going to be an easy thing to get around.

On the plus side, there is nothing in a physics journal that will help you get into grad school in poetry or philosophy.
Astronuc
Feb20-13, 09:05 PM
Admin
P: 21,871
I'm not trying to get into grad school in physics but in philosophy or poetry.

In any case, suffice it say no one knows how I can find a way to read academic journals without paying a uni tuition.
Usually one goes to the library and reads the journals on the shelves. It's a great way to spend an evening or weekend.
jtbell
Feb20-13, 09:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,777
I work at a small college whose library does not have a large collection of printed journals. In the days before Internet journal databases, when I wanted to look up journal articles, I sometimes drove to the nearest large university library, about 70 miles away.[*] Even though I wasn't a student or faculty member there, I could walk in, browse the shelves, and sit at a table and read. Maybe things are different now as far as such access is concerned.

[*] Uphill both ways, in a raging blizzard.
dustbin
Feb20-13, 09:51 PM
P: 239
Some universities also offer guest cards and some services to the general public.
g.lemaitre
Feb20-13, 10:49 PM
Quote Quote by dustbin View Post
Some universities also offer guest cards and some services to the general public.
I need to find a uni who is wishing to sell that service. Harvard by the way announced that they are considering it since they are losing money with the current system they got.
Jorriss
Feb20-13, 10:59 PM
P: 1,066
What exactly are you planning on writing a book on anyhow?

Register to reply