Max bending in tapering rod

by MMCS
Tags: bending, tapering
MMCS
Feb20-13, 01:18 PM
P: 138
A uniformly tapering cantilever of solid circular cross-section has a length L and
carries a concentrated load at the free end. The diameter at the fixed end is D and
at the free end d. Show that the position of maximum bending stress occurs at a
section

(d/(2(D-d))*L

distance from the free end.

I know that the max bending is when shear = 0

I cant begin to use any formulas because to take moments i need to know where the centre of gravity would be for a tapering rod, which i dont, also how would i use the ∏*d^4/64 to get the second moment of area on a tapering rod?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
pongo38
Feb20-13, 02:41 PM
P: 692
quote: "I know that the max bending is when shear = 0 ". This is true of bending moment but not necessarily of bending stress. You need to look at the bending stress formula.
pongo38
Feb20-13, 02:43 PM
"how would i use the ∏*d^4/64 to get the second moment of area on a tapering rod?"

Express d in the above formula as a function of x. It's not the same d as given in the question.

SteamKing
Feb20-13, 02:44 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,598

Max bending in tapering rod

A concentrated load is applied at the free end. You can construct a shear and bending moment diagram without knowing anything about the beam structure except that it is continuous and it is fixed at one end.

Once you have the bending moment calculated as a function of position along the length of the beam, then you can apply what you know about the cross section to identify the location of maximum bending stress.
pongo38
Feb20-13, 02:44 PM
"i need to know where the centre of gravity would be" Why assume that the cantilever is lying horizontal?
SteamKing
Feb20-13, 03:09 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
My point is, if a concentrated load is applied at the free end of the cantilever, knowledge of the center of gravity of the beam is not required in order to calculate the bending moment.
MMCS
Feb20-13, 04:12 PM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
My point is, if a concentrated load is applied at the free end of the cantilever, knowledge of the center of gravity of the beam is not required in order to calculate the bending moment.
In previous questions i have derived functions for unknown forces, one with the weight of the beam acting at its centre of gravity. Should this be excluded in this case or should another method be used? I dont really know where to start with only the reaction force at the fixed end and the concentrated load at the other
pongo38
Feb20-13, 04:26 PM
Consider a section X distance x from the free end. Can you express the moment and shear as functions of x (ignoring self-weight)? Can you express the internal and external diameters at section X as a function of x? If necessary draw graphs.
MMCS
Feb20-13, 05:17 PM
Quote Quote by pongo38 View Post
Consider a section X distance x from the free end. Can you express the moment and shear as functions of x (ignoring self-weight)? Can you express the internal and external diameters at section X as a function of x? If necessary draw graphs.
Would he shear force not be constant across the beam with a force of the value of the concentrated load? im really stuck as to how i would i get a function for the diamaters without any values?
SteamKing
Feb20-13, 07:09 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
You are given the diameter D at the fixed end, and diameter d at the free end.
You are also told that the diameter of the beam tapers uniformly (what does that suggest?)

How would the bending moment vary as a function of location from the fixed end?

What is the formula for bending stress given the value of a moment M(x)?

There are no numbers to work with. The answer is given in algebraic terms.

You have received several hints about how to work this problem. Now is the time to put pencil to paper and do some work.
MMCS
Feb21-13, 03:41 PM
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
You are given the diameter D at the fixed end, and diameter d at the free end.
You are also told that the diameter of the beam tapers uniformly (what does that suggest?)

How would the bending moment vary as a function of location from the fixed end?

What is the formula for bending stress given the value of a moment M(x)?

There are no numbers to work with. The answer is given in algebraic terms.

You have received several hints about how to work this problem. Now is the time to put pencil to paper and do some work.

I have done some work, thats why i am posting on here because i have had no luck. I dont know the equation for the maximum bending position
MMCS
Feb21-13, 04:16 PM
I have the

shear force at x = concentrated laod at free end(W)
Bending moment = -W*x

diameter equation

D-((D-d)/L)*x

Is this correct?

Where do i go next?
SteamKing
Feb21-13, 04:53 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
What is the bending stress, given what you know about the bending moment and the diameter of the beam at a location x?
pongo38
Feb21-13, 05:16 PM
Your bending moment equation is inconsistent with your diameter equation. From which end do you measure x? It has to be the same in each case. My suggestion to measure it from the free end avoids having to know the reactions at the fixed end (although that isn't a big issue).
MMCS
Feb21-13, 05:18 PM
I get stress = ((-w*x)*(0.5*(D-(D-d*x)/L))) / pi*(D-(D-d*x)/L)^4/64
MMCS
Feb21-13, 05:22 PM
Quote Quote by pongo38 View Post
Your bending moment equation is inconsistent with your diameter equation. From which end do you measure x? It has to be the same in each case. My suggestion to measure it from the free end avoids having to know the reactions at the fixed end (although that isn't a big issue).
Would it be d+(D-d/L)*x ?
MMCS
Feb22-13, 05:01 AM
Can anybody help me with the equation for the position of max stress. i dont see how i can get to my answer from the M/I = stress/y equation tihout having terms of W and Pi in my answer
pongo38
Feb22-13, 05:49 AM
Answer to post #16 is that you can test this proposal for yourself by letting x=0 and x=L to see if you get sensible answers (You don't). But it's nearly right.

Register to reply