Register to reply

Torque required to move a lead screw

by dustinmg89
Tags: leadscrew, rpm, torque
Share this thread:
dustinmg89
Feb21-13, 08:37 PM
P: 1
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I'll first describe the setup....
I have a lead screw that is vertical with a carriage attached parallel to it (weighing roughly 50 lb). It is attached to a perpendicular gear at the top. Oh and the nut attached to the lead screw I believe is nylon. The gear at the top is attached to another gear parallel to it. The gear ratio is 4:1. The gear that the lead screw attached to is the smaller gear. Now the larger gear is attached to a motor perpendicular to it. What I would like to know is how I could find the torque needed to move that carriage up and down. We found that we need to move the leadscrew at 1200 RPM. The mean diameter is 3/8. I also know the leadscrew has trapezoidal thread. I know this might be kind of hard to follow, but I tried. lol I know there is more information you'll need, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it for you. If it would help I can try to upload a picture of the set up that I have.

Also just a side question. Does anyone know how to find the HP of a small motor? It's mounting size is 23.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds

Register to reply