Torque required to move a lead screw

In summary: Thank you! In summary, the conversation discusses a complex setup involving a lead screw and motor. To find the torque needed to move the carriage, factors such as the weight, gear ratio, and speed must be considered. To find the HP of the motor, the voltage and current rating must be known. Additional information or a picture may be needed for a more accurate calculation.
dustinmg89
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I'll first describe the setup...
I have a lead screw that is vertical with a carriage attached parallel to it (weighing roughly 50 lb). It is attached to a perpendicular gear at the top. Oh and the nut attached to the lead screw I believe is nylon. The gear at the top is attached to another gear parallel to it. The gear ratio is 4:1. The gear that the lead screw attached to is the smaller gear. Now the larger gear is attached to a motor perpendicular to it. What I would like to know is how I could find the torque needed to move that carriage up and down. We found that we need to move the leadscrew at 1200 RPM. The mean diameter is 3/8. I also know the leadscrew has trapezoidal thread. I know this might be kind of hard to follow, but I tried. lol I know there is more information you'll need, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it for you. If it would help I can try to upload a picture of the set up that I have.

Also just a side question. Does anyone know how to find the HP of a small motor? It's mounting size is 23.

Engineering news on Phys.org
5 x 17.5

Hi there! It sounds like you have a complex setup with your lead screw and motor. To find the torque needed to move the carriage, you will need to consider a few factors. First, you will need to calculate the weight of the carriage and any additional components that are attached to it. This will give you the force that needs to be overcome by the motor.

Next, you will need to consider the gear ratio and the speed at which the lead screw needs to be turned (1200 RPM). This will give you the rotational speed of the motor and the gear that is attached to the lead screw.

To calculate the torque needed, you will need to use the formula: Torque = Force x Distance. In this case, the distance will be the mean diameter of the lead screw (3/8 inches). You will also need to take into account the efficiency of the system, as some energy will be lost due to friction.

As for finding the HP of the motor, you will need to know the voltage and current rating of the motor. From there, you can use the formula: Power = Voltage x Current. This will give you the power in watts, which can then be converted to horsepower. Keep in mind that the mounting size of the motor does not necessarily determine its horsepower, as there are many other factors that contribute to the motor's power.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or need more information, please feel free to provide a picture of the setup or any other relevant details.

1. How is torque required to move a lead screw calculated?

The torque required to move a lead screw is calculated by multiplying the force required to move the load by the distance from the center of the lead screw to the point where the force is applied. This can be expressed as T = F * r, where T is the torque, F is the force, and r is the distance.

2. What factors affect the torque required to move a lead screw?

The torque required to move a lead screw is affected by several factors, including the pitch of the screw, the coefficient of friction between the screw and the nut, the lead angle of the screw, and the diameter of the screw.

3. How does the pitch of a lead screw affect the required torque?

The pitch of a lead screw is the distance between consecutive threads. A smaller pitch will result in a lower required torque, as there is more thread contact between the screw and the nut, reducing the force required to move the load.

4. What is the significance of the lead angle in determining the required torque?

The lead angle of a lead screw is the angle between the helix of the screw and a line perpendicular to the screw's axis. A smaller lead angle will result in a lower required torque, as there is less force acting perpendicular to the screw's axis.

5. How can the required torque be minimized for a lead screw system?

The required torque for a lead screw system can be minimized by using a smaller pitch, reducing the coefficient of friction between the screw and the nut, and choosing a screw with a smaller lead angle. Additionally, using lubrication and ensuring proper alignment of the screw and nut can also help decrease the required torque.