Effect of Pressure on the Initial Rate

by Apple96
Tags: effect, initial, pressure, rate
Share this thread:
Apple96
Feb23-13, 02:38 PM
P: 5
Hi,

Let's suppose an elementary reaction of the low-pressure mixture has the initial reaction rate of x (2A + B --> A2B). What would be the initial reaction rate of the high-pressure mixture? (Imagine a mass M is placed upon the beaker filled with the mixture, and a mass 3M is placed upon another beaker).

I'm really not sure how to approach this problem. Yes, more pressure means more concentration (exactly 3 times), but I'm not sure how this affects the initial rate. Concentration can be used to compare the reaction rate of molecules involving in one equation (like 2A+ B --> A2B, the reaction rate of A will be twice as much as that of B). But, between the two different system? I'm really not sure. Please help!

Thank you,
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials

Register to reply