Register to reply

Document programs with math?

by 1MileCrash
Tags: document, math, programs
Share this thread:
1MileCrash
Feb24-13, 06:29 PM
P: 1,302
Are there any programs like microsoft word that also allow you to do mathematical markup like we do here on the forum?

I think it would be a nice way to turn assignments for classes involving proofs, etc.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
mindheavy
Feb24-13, 08:27 PM
P: 61
Yes. LaTeXiT
Gullik
Feb25-13, 12:39 AM
P: 46
www.libreoffice.org/ works in a pinch as well, but learning LaTeX should be better long term.

BobG
Feb25-13, 06:08 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Document programs with math?

If you want programs compatible with Microsoft Word, you have a built-in equation editor for Microsoft Office 2007 (problematic) or a good equation editor in Microsoft Equation 3.0 (or MathType if your home computer doesn't include Equation Editor).

The Equation Editor use to work great in both word documents and PowerPoint presentations. The built-in equation editor is passable in PowerPoint presentations. It's harder to use third party products with Office 2007, but there's really not much choice since you'd have a hard time finding Office 2003 now.

A comparison: http://www.gulfcoast.edu/mathematics...tioneditor.htm
jhae2.718
Feb25-13, 11:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,160
Learn LaTeX.
micromass
Feb25-13, 11:11 PM
Mentor
P: 18,330
Quote Quote by jhae2.718 View Post
Learn LaTeX.
This.

All the programs suggested in this thread are all very nice. But LaTeX is a skill that every math or science student should posses. You will have to learn it eventually. So why not start now?
jtbell
Feb25-13, 11:26 PM
Mentor
P: 11,782
If you just want to be able to submit homework assignments, or make notes for yourself, and you don't mind paying for the software, Word plus MathType will probably work OK for you. If you want to be able to submit articles to journals eventually, then it's worth the trouble to install LaTeX and learn how to use it for complete documents.

I use Word plus MathType myself, but I don't need to submit articles to journals or do professional-quality typesetting for other reasons.

Register to reply