by dduardo
Tags: discussion, tutorial
rgrig
Dec14-04, 01:37 AM
P: 34
Then have a look at:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/ and
http://java.sun.com/

Both come with pretty comprehensive documentation (both tutorials and reference material).
LogiX
Jan5-05, 07:44 PM
P: 15
I recommend the
Algorithms in C++ series by Robert Sedgewick
Code Complete (2nd Edition)
Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software - the book is on computer foundations and architecture, fair introduction to computer science

Ryan
rgrig
Jan11-05, 03:14 AM
P: 34
LogiX: your recommandations are better than mine!
From the same area: The Pragmatic Programmer, a book full of practical advices presented thru analogies that helps you remember.

One example: The Broken Window Theory. The advice: Never leave something broken (if you know it is broken). Story: A study of NY police with sociology&psychology researchers was intended to shed some light on when property is destroyed. They left an expensive car in an ill-famed neighborhood. A few weeks nothing happened. Then they broke a window. Within a few hours the car was completely destroyed and set on fire. Conclusion: Never leave something broken.
exequor
Jan11-05, 04:25 PM
P: 393
Quote Quote by ramollari
Well, MFC are the libraries that I have in my compiler, Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. But I'd be willing to learn any other libraries for GUI in C++.
If you want to do GUI work outside of ms visual c++, I recommend using devcpp along with gtk and glade. Glade is just like the form builder you have in visual basic and it builds the code for you c/c++ project making use of GTK. The good thing is everything is free.
Alex
Jan11-05, 05:15 PM
P: 46
Quote Quote by cipher
If you want to do GUI work outside of ms visual c++, I recommend using devcpp along with gtk and glade. Glade is just like the form builder you have in visual basic and it builds the code for you c/c++ project making use of GTK. The good thing is everything is free.
As well as cross-platform.
exequor
Jan11-05, 09:45 PM
As well as cross-platform
The only thing that is not cross-platform is devcpp, which is only for windows.
Alex
Jan12-05, 06:09 AM
visual basic is cross platform?
exequor
Jan23-05, 07:22 AM
Quote Quote by Alex
visual basic is cross platform?
I thought that cross-platform meant that something could work on multiple OSs or be compiled for multiple OSs. I didn't know that VB could do that.
LogiX
Jan23-05, 12:06 PM
P: 15
It's important to understand that Dev-C++ is not a compiler. Dev-C++ is an IDE (Intregrated Development Environment) that uses the MingW (windows port of GNU GCC) compiler.

I personally recommend using wxWidgets as a GUI API. It's build in a very OO manner which makes it easy to learn and work with. And, it is extremely portable across multiple platforms. http://www.wxwidgets.com

Visual Basic executables are not cross-platform.

Ryan
Alex
Jan27-05, 01:56 PM
Quote Quote by cipher
I thought that cross-platform meant that something could work on multiple OSs or be compiled for multiple OSs. I didn't know that VB could do that.
What I meant was that you can write programs for many different platforms with c++, while Visual Basic limits you to Windows.
eNathan
Feb8-05, 06:13 PM
P: 352
Just use Delphi, it gets ride of this annoying ActiveX files. If you are making a windows app, use VB, if you need speed, use Delpi or CPP, if you need platform control, use Java, c#, C++, ect...

I recomend for anyone who is new to programing to start off with Visual Basic, then move on to something else.
ramollari
Feb11-05, 06:53 AM
P: 453
Quote Quote by eNathan
I recomend for anyone who is new to programing to start off with Visual Basic, then move on to something else.
Let me say that Visual Basic is not the proper language to start with. It is too visual, too buggy, too inefficient, and too difficult to understand.
Hurkyl
Feb11-05, 06:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Not to mention that it's not free!

I thought QBASIC was a beautiful language, is VB really that bad? (Of course, I had not yet heard of Pascal or C++ at that time in my life)
ramollari
Feb11-05, 07:09 AM
P: 453
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
Not to mention that it's not free!

I thought QBASIC was a beautiful language, is VB really that bad? (Of course, I had not yet heard of Pascal or C++ at that time in my life)
It is all commercial: the language and the development environment. That is to the advantage of Microsoft.

Also by the way VB is little related with QBASIC. When I think of VB I think of 'drag and drop', not of programming.

VB is useful for prototyping and for RAD software development. But not for beginners who want to learn programming principles. C++ would be a good one.
Davorak
Feb11-05, 06:00 PM
P: 289
I started out with VB, and I agree. After I started programing in C++ I felt like I wasted alot of time of VB. Oh well live and learn.
Alex
Feb28-05, 05:53 PM
Quote Quote by ramollari
VB is useful for prototyping and for RAD software development. But not for beginners who want to learn programming principles. C++ would be a good one.
Python would be an even better one. Simple syntax, while teaching modern programming principles. Even after you move on to a different language, it's still great for scripting!
SqrachMasda
Feb28-05, 06:31 PM
P: 42
my question is simple, i think, but it still killing me in class
i kinda gave up on learning new stuff, because i still have not been able to successfully run it,....nothing to do with errors(though i'll have those) but i dont know the specific way to run a program when u finish,...the ending part just does not make sense for me, pretty much because i dont know how to do it
Alex
Mar2-05, 01:17 PM
Quote Quote by SqrachMasda
my question is simple, i think, but it still killing me in class
i kinda gave up on learning new stuff, because i still have not been able to successfully run it,....nothing to do with errors(though i'll have those) but i dont know the specific way to run a program when u finish,...the ending part just does not make sense for me, pretty much because i dont know how to do it
You're gonna have to be a bit more specific, mate . What language are you using? What compiler? Can you post exactly the problem you're having and post the source of what you have so far?

Register to reply