Usefulness of SUSY models when it cant exist at non-zero temperatures

In summary: However, this does raise concerns about the validity of using SUSY phenomenological models, as the assumption of zero temperature may not hold. More research and understanding is needed in this area.
crackjack
Unlike other symmetries (like electroweak symmetry), SUSY is spontaneously broken at any non-zero temperature due to some variation of the fact that the boundary conditions on bosons and fermions in thermal QFT are different. If this is the case, what is the rationale for considering SUSY phenomenological models? ie. how valid is the assumption that temperature remains zero up until the point that the energy in the initial universe falls below the SUSY breaking energy scale?

For more on thermal SUSY: A. Das, "Supersymmetry and finite temperature"

Physics news on Phys.org
crackjack said:
ie. how valid is the assumption that temperature remains zero up until the point that the energy in the initial universe falls below the SUSY breaking energy scale

I know nothing about thermal SUSY, but I don't except anyone makes this assumption. The usually assumption as I understand it is the reverse, that SUSY is preserved at high energy and spontaneously broken at low energy. Since the article you cite is from 1989 and people still study SUSY, I can only guess that their conclusion that "supersymmetry is spontaneously broken at finite temperature independent of whether supersymmetry is broken at zero temperature or not" is not as damning as it sounds... perhaps it doesn't really matter if SUSY ever actually existed in the universe? Perhaps it could still help with the hierarchy problem etc regardless of whether it was an exact symmetry of the early universe.

But yes I too would be interested to hear more on this, if someone here knows it.

kurros said:
Since the article you cite is from 1989 and people still study SUSY, I can only guess that their conclusion that "supersymmetry is spontaneously broken at finite temperature independent of whether supersymmetry is broken at zero temperature or not" is not as damning as it sounds... perhaps it doesn't really matter if SUSY ever actually existed in the universe? Perhaps it could still help with the hierarchy problem etc regardless of whether it was an exact symmetry of the early universe.

I too think, for the same reason (that people are still studying SUSY), thermal effects probably don't upset the advantages of SUSY much. The section above that paper's conclusion heuristically discusses how the goldstino from thermal breaking of SUSY mixes with the goldstino from the usual SUSY breaking (at zero-temperature).

I saw a recent paper on this - http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.2958 - which talks (in the two paragraphs preceding acknowledgments) about possible cosmological implications of this mixing.

But it means that unbroken SUSY could never really have existed anytime in our universe's past.

crackjack said:
Unlike other symmetries (like electroweak symmetry), SUSY is spontaneously broken at any non-zero temperature due to some variation of the fact that the boundary conditions on bosons and fermions in thermal QFT are different. If this is the case, what is the rationale for considering SUSY phenomenological models? ie. how valid is the assumption that temperature remains zero up until the point that the energy in the initial universe falls below the SUSY breaking energy scale?

For more on thermal SUSY: A. Das, "Supersymmetry and finite temperature"
Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac distributions are different at any (including zero) given temperature, which is the PHYSICAL reason why SUSY may seem "broken" in thermal field theory. The different boundary conditions is only a convenient mathematical tool to describe this physical fact. But the SUSY is still there, even at a non-zero temperature, in the sense that the numbers of bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom are equal. So there is no reason to expect that temperature remains zero.

PS: I have also posted this question at the physics stackexchange

Demystifier said:
Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac distributions are different at any (including zero) given temperature, which is the PHYSICAL reason why SUSY may seem "broken" in thermal field theory. The different boundary conditions is only a convenient mathematical tool to describe this physical fact. But the SUSY is still there, even at a non-zero temperature, in the sense that the numbers of bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom are equal. So there is no reason to expect that temperature remains zero.

You should read that review paper I posted above. Under non-zero temperatures, SUSY is always (spontaneously) broken, along with a goldstino associated with this breaking. But yes, since this is spontaneous breaking, the symmetry itself is not explicitly broken.

1. What is SUSY and why is it important in physics?

SUSY, short for Supersymmetry, is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests a symmetry between particles with different spin values. It is important because it provides a possible solution for some of the unanswered questions in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter.

2. How do SUSY models work and what are their predictions?

SUSY models involve the addition of new particles to the Standard Model of particle physics to balance out the discrepancies between theoretical predictions and experimental observations. These new particles, called superpartners, have the same mass as their corresponding Standard Model particles, but differ in spin value. SUSY models predict the existence of these superpartners, which can be detected through high-energy particle collisions.

3. Can SUSY exist at non-zero temperatures?

According to the current understanding of SUSY, it cannot exist at non-zero temperatures. This is because SUSY is a fundamental symmetry that should be present at all energy scales, including high temperatures. However, this does not necessarily mean that SUSY models are invalid, as they can still be useful in addressing other questions in particle physics.

4. What are the challenges in testing SUSY models at non-zero temperatures?

The main challenge in testing SUSY models at non-zero temperatures is the lack of experimental evidence. So far, all experiments have shown no signs of superpartners, which has led to the development of alternative theories. Additionally, it is difficult to recreate the extreme conditions of the early universe where SUSY could potentially exist at high temperatures.

5. Are there any alternative theories to explain the unanswered questions in particle physics?

Yes, there are several alternative theories that have been proposed to address the unanswered questions in particle physics. Some of these include extra dimensions, string theory, and modifications to the Standard Model. However, none of these theories have been definitively proven, and the search for evidence of SUSY and other theories continues.