A Simple Problem that seems to elude me

• Thread starter TooManyHours
  • Start date
In summary, it takes Steve and Dale together 10 hours to paint a house. Steve takes 30 hours by himself. To find out how long it would take Dale to paint the house by himself, we can calculate that he would take 15 hours based on the information provided.
TooManyHours
My mind is blank for some reason as I can't seem to figure out how to set up this problem...

It takes Steve and Dale together 10 hours to paint a house.

Steve takes 30 hours by himself.

How long would it take Dale to paint the house my himself?

Thanks...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
TooManyHours said:
My mind is blank for some reason as I can't seem to figure out how to set up this problem...

It takes Steve and Dale together 10 hours to paint a house.

Steve takes 30 hours by himself.

How long would it take Dale to paint the house my himself?

Thanks...
Steve paints houses at a rate of (1 house)/(30 hours). Assuming Steve has a linear rate of painting, we have 3*(1/30) = 1/10, which means Steve paints 1/3 of a house in 10 hours. Can you continue ? :smile:

OK,

Steve paints 1 house in 30 hours or 1/3 house in 30/3 = 10 hours

That means that Dale has to paint the other 2/3 of the house in the 10 hour period.

Working backwards for Steve, to get from the 10 hours together to his single total, we multiply 10 by 3/1 = 30 hours.

So, for Dale, we have to multiply 10 * 3/2 to get 30/2 or 15 hours to paint the house by himself.

I think...

Yes,15hrs is the correct answer... :smile:

Daniel.

Thanks...

1. What is the "simple problem" that seems to elude you?

The simple problem that seems to elude me is finding a solution to a mathematical equation.

2. Why is this problem difficult to solve?

This problem is difficult to solve because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a thorough understanding of the equations and formulas involved.

3. What steps have you taken to try and solve this problem?

I have researched similar problems, consulted with other scientists and mathematicians, and have attempted various approaches and strategies to find a solution.

4. Have you made any progress in solving this problem?

Yes, I have made some progress in solving this problem, but I have not yet found a complete solution.

5. What do you think is the key to finally solving this problem?

I believe that the key to finally solving this problem is to continue exploring different methods and approaches, and to have a deep understanding of the underlying mathematical principles involved.