Register to reply

Thermodynamically favored reaction

by nipwoni
Tags: favored, reaction, thermodynamically
Share this thread:
nipwoni
May14-05, 08:09 PM
P: 51
I have a homework question about the electrolysis of seawater, and I need to know what reactions are thermodynamically favored. One reaction is the production of H2 and O2, and it has a standard cell potential of -2.06 V. The other is the production of H2 and Cl2, and has a standard cell potential of -2.19 V. Is the favored reaction the one that occurs at a more negative voltage, or the one at a voltage with a smaller absolute value?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
so-crates
May14-05, 10:55 PM
P: 309
What does it mean for a reaction to be "thermodynamically favored"? What is the name of the quantity that measures this ? How does that quantity relate to the variables you have in an electrochemical cell?
GCT
May15-05, 12:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,769
The production of hydrogen and oxygen from water is not favored thermodynamically so you can guess upon the productino of hydrogen and chlorine gas based on this.

nipwoni
May15-05, 06:03 PM
Thermodynamically favored reaction

But based on the voltages which will be favored over the other? I know that reactions at "lower" voltage/ cell potential are favored, but what do they mean by lower? Is it the one with an actual lower number (more negative) or the one with a voltage closer to zero? I need to know for an exam tomorrow, not just for these particular reactions. Thanks!
GCT
May16-05, 08:27 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Doesn't your text say answer explicitly on these matters? I gave you hints in my post, and you should be able to figure it out.
nipwoni
May16-05, 09:07 AM
Ok so it's the more negative voltage that's favored.
My book didn't say, and my problem was that I got conflicting answers from different TAs. The answer sheet to the problem set also contradicts what you said, but they're wrong sometimes (quite often actually.)
GCT
May16-05, 12:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I somewhat forgot whether it's the negative or positive indicates spontaneity, you'll need to refer to your text to make sure.

Register to reply