Calculating Heat Given by a Flame

• Thread starter LorDjidane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the speaker is a French student studying a Stirling motor that runs on external combustion from burning Ethanol. They are trying to calculate the heat output of the motor and are unsure of how to use the Free Enthalpy of Combustion. They are advised to find the standard enthalpy of reaction and possibly seek advice in an engineering forum. The speaker plans to obtain more precise plans of the motor before proceeding.
LorDjidane
Hello

First of all, I'm french, as a consequence my scientific language might be difficult to understand. I'm sorry for this.

So, I'm studying a little Stirling motor.
I evaluated the Work given by its cycle. It functions with an external combustion, produced by the burning of Ethanol (C2H5O).

I want to calculate the Heat given by the flame provided by this combustion in order to calculate the output of my motor.

Does anyone have an idea ? I thought about the use of the Free Enthalpy of Combustion, but I don't understand how to use it.

Maybe I could use the expression :
Variation of enthalpy = C*variation of temperature ?

Thanks for your help =)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you referring to free energy? You might want to find the standard enthalpy of reaction instead. The data is quite easy to find.

That must be that (attached with the post).

But with that, how could I calculate the heat given by my flame ?

Attachments

• img1.png
    img1.png
    311 bytes · Views: 381
I think that enthalpy is a good approximation of the heat [itex] q [/itex] in most cases,
to be sure and perhaps obtain more professional advice you'll need to post this question in the engineering forum and be sure to mention "Sterling Motor."

Ok, thanks a lot for your help =)

I'll first try to get the plans of my motor to be more precise.

What is meant by "Calculating Heat Given by a Flame"?

Calculating Heat Given by a Flame refers to the process of determining the amount of heat energy released by a flame. This is important in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in understanding the efficiency of a fuel or in designing heating systems.

How is the heat given by a flame calculated?

The heat given by a flame can be calculated by using the formula Q = m x c x ∆T, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance being heated, c is the specific heat capacity of the substance, and ∆T is the change in temperature.

What factors can affect the amount of heat given by a flame?

The amount of heat given by a flame can be affected by various factors, including the type of fuel being burned, the amount of oxygen present, the size and temperature of the flame, and the material being heated.

How can the heat given by a flame be measured?

The heat given by a flame can be measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the amount of heat energy released by a substance. This involves conducting experiments and recording the changes in temperature of the substance being heated.

What are some practical applications of calculating heat given by a flame?

The calculation of heat given by a flame has many practical applications, such as in designing efficient heating systems, determining the energy content of different fuels, and understanding the effects of heat on various materials. It is also important in industries such as metallurgy, where precise control of temperature is essential for producing high-quality products.