Is The 'Planet X' Real? Debunking the Myth

• Thread starter young e.
  • Start date
In summary: Planet X. It's an enormous planet that's going to destroy the Earth in a few years. But it's all a hoax, and there's no such thing as Planet X.Ancient legends, including the Bible, mention...something called Planet X. It's an enormous planet that's going to destroy the Earth in a few years. But it's all a hoax, and there's no such thing as Planet X.Some people find it amusing to run an absurd idea past the internet public and see how many sniffs result. It can even be profitable if enough shad are drawn to the dipnet. Some people find it amusing to run an absurd idea past the internet public and see how many
young e.
1. Is The "planet X" Or "intruder Planet" Or "the Tenth Planet In The Solar System" Real? Or Just A Hoax?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you mean the planet X that was supposed to destroy the Earth 2 years ago, it was obviously a hoax...

And if you mean Sedna (sp?), it's real but probably not actually going to be classed as a planet because of its size.

As Russ suggests, "Planet X" has had a few meanings over the years.
Check out http://www.badastronomy.com for some good info on the hoax version.

As for a real 10th planet...that's currently a matter of debate (not likely to be settled for a few years). Check out recent PF topics/internet news about "2003 UB313" (recently discovered object in the Kuiper Belt that is larger than Pluto).

TNX MENTORS AND CO- PF USERS...

HOW ABOUT THE SUPPOSED PLANET WHICH CREATE ABNORMALITY ON EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD CREATING EARTHQUAKES, TSUNAMIS AND OTHER DISASTERS DURING THE TIME THAT THIS PLANET PASSED NEAR THE EARTH approx. 1600 BC.. THIS EVENT COULD BE TRACED IN THE CLAY TABLETS OF ANCIENT SUMERIANS DISCOVERED ON 1800's AND THE PASSING OF THIS PLANET WHICH CREATED DISASTERS CAUSED THE DESTRUCTION OF THE MINOAN CIVILIZATION MANY CENTURIES PAST. PROPONENTS OF WHAT SO CALLED "PLANET X" SAYS THAT IT IS NEVER SEEN IN MOST ANYONE'S LIETIME BECAUSE IT's ELLIPTICAL ORBIT AOUND THE SUN TAKES 3600 YEARS TO COMPLETE. MY QUESTION IS THIS:

1. DOES THE CLAY TABLETS OF ANCIENT SUMERIANS THAT WAS FOUND SOMETIMES IN 1800's HAS SOMETHING TO SAY WITH ASTRONOMY? DOES IT REALLY MENTIONED ABOUT THE PASSING OF A CERTAIN PLANET WHICH CAUSES DISASTERS SEVERAL CENTURIES PAST?

2. IF NO THEN ENOUGH, IF YES THEN WHAT PLANET IS THAT?

I DONT HAVE SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ASTRONOMY AND ITS FACTS SO I'd RATHER PUT MY QUESTION HERE TO SEEK REALISTIC ANSWERS...TNX IN ADVANCE FOLKS...BOUT THAT PLANET IT TERRIFIED ME A LOT

The putative planet X of folklore is sheer fantasy. Some people find it amusing to run an absurd idea past the internet public and see how many sniffs result. It can even be profitable if enough shad are drawn to the dipnet.

young e. said:
TNX MENTORS AND CO- PF USERS... ...BOUT THAT PLANET IT TERRIFIED ME A LOT
No need to shout, lad; we might be old, but we ain't defe.

Chronos said:
The putative planet X of folklore is sheer fantasy.
And it existed long before the net did. There were millions of people who believed that there was another Earth diametrically opposed to our orbit around the sun. They seriously figured that since we can't see over there, there's no reason to doubt it. Not one of them, I'll wager, did any study of orbital mechanics.

young e, the fact that it wasn't even detected two years ago when it was supposed to destroy the Earth should tell you something.

No, all of that is a figment of a few overactive imaginations.

You are probably talking about the supposed planet Nibiru , proposed by Zecharia Sitchin .
This text has a good description of the hoax and several links for more elaborate analyses.

I wrote a http://www.pitofbabel.org/blog/2005/07/pole-shift-mistake.html about this business. I link to it not because of what I wrote, but because I'm too lazy to relink about eight good urls you can find there.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank a lot guys...

"THE MOUSE DREAMS, DREAMS THAT THEY WOULD TERRIFY CATS"

I am not sure if this is the same thing, but there was also a rumor around on the internet that a brown dwarf was roaming around our solar system and would pass by earth, causing its rotation to stop abruptly. If that is already hard enough to believe, it was also claimed this happens periodically every several thousand years.

Anyone who knows what a brown dwarf is ought to be clever enough to figure out that it would not float around unoticed in the solar system. Also there would be a hell of a lot of geological and anthropoligcal evidence that would hint at a sudden deacceleration of 2000 mi/s^2 of all matter on the Earth's surface.

Atomos said:
I am not sure if this is the same thing, but there was also a rumor around on the internet that a brown dwarf was roaming around our solar system and would pass by earth, causing its rotation to stop abruptly. If that is already hard enough to believe, it was also claimed this happens periodically every several thousand years.

Anyone who knows what a brown dwarf is ought to be clever enough to figure out that it would not float around unoticed in the solar system. Also there would be a hell of a lot of geological and anthropoligcal evidence that would hint at a sudden deacceleration of 2000 mi/s^2 of all matter on the Earth's surface.
Ancient legends, including the Bible, mention world catastrophes. Some people take those legends at face value, attribute specified dates to them and suppose they are due to the periodic passage of some planetary or stellar body.
An encounter of this type would alter the orbit of the Earth and not stop its rotation and, as you said, there is no archeological evidence of that.

Is the "Planet X" real?

No, there is currently no evidence to support the existence of a planet called "Planet X" in our solar system.

What is "Planet X"?

"Planet X" is a hypothetical planet that was proposed to exist beyond the orbit of Neptune, but has not been observed or proven to exist.

Why do some people believe in "Planet X"?

Some people believe in "Planet X" due to various conspiracy theories and misinformation that have circulated online. However, there is no scientific evidence to support its existence.

Has "Planet X" ever been observed or detected?

No, "Planet X" has never been observed or detected by any scientific instrument or telescope. Claims of its observation are unsubstantiated and often based on misinterpretation of astronomical data.

What is the scientific consensus on "Planet X"?

The scientific consensus is that "Planet X" does not exist. Astronomers and scientists have thoroughly searched for any evidence of its existence and have found none. The idea of "Planet X" is considered a myth and has been debunked by multiple studies and observations.