Font size with Word and AutoCAD

In summary, when working with both MS Word and AutoCAD, it can be difficult to ensure that text written in AutoCAD will be of equal size to that written in Word. Simply choosing a text height of 10 in AutoCAD may not guarantee equal sizing, as it depends on the unit used for the drawing. One potential solution would be to determine the size of the "box" for a capital letter in Word, measured in mm, and then adjust the font size in AutoCAD accordingly. However, this may not be a perfect solution, as image scaling is not always linear.
TSN79
I'm writing a document in MS Word with font size 10 and Times New Roman. I'm also using AutoCAD to produce graphics to put in it. How can I make sure that text written in AutoCAD will be of equal size to that written in Word? Just choosing a text height of 10 in AutoCAD doesn't make it equal, since it all depends on what unit you're using for the drawing. The best would perhaps be to find out how big the "box" for a capital letter is in Word, measured in mm. But how? Anyone?

Computer science news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I'm writing a document in MS Word with font size 10 and Times New Roman. I'm also using AutoCAD to produce graphics to put in it. How can I make sure that text written in AutoCAD will be of equal size to that written in Word? Just choosing a text height of 10 in AutoCAD doesn't make it equal, since it all depends on what unit you're using for the drawing. The best would perhaps be to find out how big the "box" for a capital letter is in Word, measured in mm. But how? Anyone?

The obvious problem is that to fit the image on the document you will need to shrink it down which will chanage the text size. try figuring out how much smaller (percent wise) you are making the image to fit in the document and then select a font size that is about that much larger. now, of course, this is just a best guess. For all I know, image scaling is not linear, but I bet it will work out well.

To ensure that the text size in AutoCAD is equal to the font size in Word, you can follow these steps:

1. Open a new Word document and type a capital letter in Times New Roman font size 10.

2. Right-click on the letter and select "Font" from the menu.

3. In the Font dialog box, go to the "Advanced" tab.

4. Under the "Scale" section, note down the value for "Emphasis mark size" in points.

5. Open AutoCAD and create a new drawing.

6. Type the same capital letter in the drawing using the Text tool.

7. Right-click on the text and select "Properties" from the menu.

8. In the Properties palette, go to the "Text" tab.

9. Under the "Height" section, enter the value you noted down in step 4.

10. The text size in AutoCAD should now be equal to the font size in Word.

Alternatively, you can also use the "Match Properties" tool in AutoCAD to match the text size to the font size in Word. Simply select the text in AutoCAD, then select the text in Word, and use the "Match Properties" tool to match the text size. This will copy the font size from Word to AutoCAD.

It is important to note that the text size in AutoCAD is dependent on the scale of the drawing. So if you change the scale of the drawing, you may need to adjust the text size accordingly. It is also recommended to use the same unit of measurement in both Word and AutoCAD to ensure accurate sizing.

1. How do I change the font size in Word?

To change the font size in Word, you can select the text you want to change and then use the font size drop-down menu in the Home tab. You can also use the shortcut keys "Ctrl + Shift + P" to increase the font size and "Ctrl + Shift + M" to decrease the font size.

2. How do I change the font size in AutoCAD?

In AutoCAD, the font size is determined by the text style. To change the font size, you can go to the Text Style dialog box by typing "STYLE" in the command line. Then, you can select the text style you want to modify and change the font size under the "Primary Font" tab.

3. Can I set a default font size in Word and AutoCAD?

Yes, you can set a default font size in both Word and AutoCAD. In Word, you can go to the Font dialog box and select the font size you want to set as default under the "Font" tab. In AutoCAD, you can go to the Text Style dialog box and click on the "Set Current" button to save your changes as the default.

4. How do I make the font size consistent in a Word document?

You can make the font size consistent in a Word document by using the "Clear Formatting" tool. This tool will remove all formatting, including font size, from the selected text and make it consistent throughout the document. You can access this tool by selecting the text and clicking on the "Clear Formatting" button in the Home tab.

5. Is there a maximum font size limit in Word and AutoCAD?

Yes, there is a maximum font size limit in both Word and AutoCAD. The maximum font size in Word is 1638 points and in AutoCAD it is 1296 points. However, these limits may vary depending on the font and the operating system you are using.