Rational expression limit problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of a rational expression consisting of two polynomials of the same degree, and the limit of one where the degree of the bottom is greater than the degree of the top. The speaker believes that this step may require the use of induction, but they have not learned it before. They also mention that this is part of a more complicated problem and ask for help in proving it. The conversation also touches on the difference between the limit of a rational expression and the limit of a polynomial with the same leading coefficient.
StonedPanda
Sligtly more complex than the average one, I'd assume. How would I go about proving that the limit of of a rational expression consisting of two polynomials of the same degree goes to one and the limit of one where the degree of the bottom is greater than the degree of the top goes to zero. I'd imagine i'd have to use induction, but I've never learned it!

This step is actually a step in a more complicated problem, which I've got for the most part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Limit as x approaches infinity? Consider:

2x/x

this is a rational function of two polynomials of the same degree whose limit is never 1 for any x, it is always 2. Also consider:

2(x+1)/x

again, it has a limit of 2 as x approaches infinity, but it's limit isn't always 2, for example, it is 4 when x approaches 1. Perhaps you mean when both polynomials also have the same leading coefficient. In that case, the limit as x approaches infinity will be 1.

yes, sorry, i meant for the case when the polynomials has the same leading coefficient as the variable approaches infinity.

so can anyone help me prove this? I'm trying to teach myself induction...

What is a rational expression limit problem?

A rational expression limit problem involves finding the value that a rational expression approaches as the variable in the expression gets closer and closer to a particular value. It is a type of limit problem in calculus.

How do you solve a rational expression limit problem?

To solve a rational expression limit problem, you can use algebraic manipulation or plug in values close to the given value and observe the resulting output. Alternatively, you can use L'Hopital's rule or other limit theorems to simplify the expression and find the limit.

What are some common strategies for evaluating rational expression limits?

Some common strategies for evaluating rational expression limits include factoring, simplifying, and using common algebraic techniques such as multiplying by the conjugate or dividing by the highest power of the variable.

Can a rational expression limit problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a rational expression limit problem can have multiple solutions if the expression has removable discontinuities or if there are multiple variables involved. It is important to check for these possibilities when solving a rational expression limit problem.

How are rational expression limit problems used in real-world applications?

Rational expression limit problems are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world situations and make predictions. They can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, which is useful in optimization problems.