Partial DIfferential Equations problems

In summary: If you can show that the divergence theorem yields an energy inequality, then you've proven that the problem has at most one solution.
stunner5000pt
Here is one of them - i posted it in another thread and i am getting help in there https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=91781

this is another of my problems
Show that if C is a piecewise continuously differentiable closed curve bounding D then the problem
[tex] \nabla^2 u= -F(x,y) \ in\ D[/tex]
[tex] u = f \ on \ C_{1} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} + \alpha u = 0 \ on \ C_{2} [/tex]
where C1 is a part of C and C2 the remainder and where alpha is a positive constant, has at most one solution.

now i know that [tex] \nabla^2 u = \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} = -F(x,y) [/tex]

now I am not quite sure how to connect the C1 part to C2 part...
would it be something liek C= C1 + C2?

but how would one go about showing that this has at most ONE solution?? I m not quite sure how to start ... Please help

another one
Show that the problem
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (e^x \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (e^y \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = 0 \ for \ x^2+y^2 < 1 [/tex]
u = x^2 for x^2 + y^2 = 1
has at most one solution
Hint Use the divergence theorem to derive an energy identity

Perhaps i don't remember a theorem i should have learned in ap revious class... or i am not familiar with it but what would i use the divergence theorem here?
i eman i can get it down to this
[tex] e^x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (u + \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}) + e^y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (u + \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}) = 0 [/tex]
but hereafter i am stuck, please do advise!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok so i can rewrite the second euqation as

[tex] e^x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (u + u_{x}) + e^y \frac{\partial}{\partial y} (u + u_{y}) = 0 [/tex]

also is [tex] u+ u_{x} [/tex] written as something else...
how would i apply the divergence principle here?

can anyone help me with this!

For the first problem, you might begin by assuming that two solutions exist which satisfy the differential equation and boundary conditions. The difference of the two solutions satisfies a simpler set of equations, right? Maybe this is a good place to start.

For the second problem, the original equation already looks like the divergence of a vector field in 2d. Maybe you should start from this observation.

What are partial differential equations (PDEs)?

Partial differential equations (PDEs) are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to describe and model complex physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What types of problems can be solved using PDEs?

PDEs are used to solve a wide range of problems, including heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also commonly used in financial modeling and image processing.

How do you solve a PDE problem?

The process for solving a PDE problem involves identifying the type of PDE (e.g. parabolic, hyperbolic, elliptic), applying appropriate boundary and initial conditions, and using analytical or numerical methods to solve the equation. The solution may also require techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Laplace transforms.

What are the challenges in solving PDE problems?

One of the main challenges in solving PDEs is that there is often no exact analytical solution, so numerical methods must be used. This can lead to issues such as approximation errors and the need for advanced computational techniques. Additionally, PDEs can be highly nonlinear and may require specialized methods to solve.

How are PDE problems used in real-world applications?

PDE problems have a wide range of real-world applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing aircrafts and cars, optimizing financial portfolios, and simulating chemical reactions. They are also used in medical imaging, to model the spread of diseases, and in many other fields where understanding complex physical systems is necessary.