Register to reply

Calculus of Variations

by touqra
Tags: calculus, variations
Share this thread:
touqra
Oct14-05, 12:56 AM
P: 282
I am facing a difficult integral here for calculus of variations. The question reads:
Find the extremum to the integral:
[tex]
I[y(x)] = \int_{Q}^{P} (dy/dx)^2(1+dy/dx)^2 dx [/tex]
[tex] where [/tex][tex] P = (0,0) [/tex] [tex] and [/tex] [tex]Q = (1,2)[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
saltydog
Oct14-05, 04:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,593
How about using Euler's equation:

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{'}}\right)=0[/tex]

where:

[tex]F(x,y,y^{'})=\left(y^{'}\right)^2(1+y^{'})^2[/tex]

However, that's usually on an interval and not from point to point as you have it defined above.

This of course results in a highly non-linear ODE. Push come to shove, I'd solve it numerically.
touqra
Oct14-05, 04:43 AM
Quote Quote by saltydog
How about using Euler's equation:
[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y^{'}}\right)=0[/tex]
where:
[tex]F(x,y,y^{'})=\left(y^{'}\right)^2(1+y^{'})^2[/tex]
However, that's usually on an interval and not from point to point as you have it defined above.
This of course results in a highly non-linear ODE. Push come to shove, I'd solve it numerically.
Since this is about extremum, we clearly have to start with the Euler-Lagrange equation. But, you are right. We will obtain a non-linear ODE. It is this ODE I am having headache with.

saltydog
Oct14-05, 05:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Calculus of Variations

Quote Quote by touqra
Since this is about extremum, we clearly have to start with the Euler-Lagrange equation. But, you are right. We will obtain a non-linear ODE. It is this ODE I am having headache with.
Can you post the resulting ODE? I'd like to check it against mine which is really not too bad: second-degree, first order ODE.
touqra
Oct14-05, 10:57 AM
Quote Quote by saltydog
Can you post the resulting ODE? I'd like to check it against mine which is really not too bad: second-degree, first order ODE.
Because the integrand is independent of y, hence, when I use Euler equation, it gives me,

[tex] 2y'^3 + 3y'^2 + y' = constant [/tex]
Hurkyl
Oct14-05, 12:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,098
That's just a cubic equation in y' -- it factors into (y' - a)(y' - b)(y' - c) = 0, does it not?
saltydog
Oct14-05, 05:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by touqra
Because the integrand is independent of y, hence, when I use Euler equation, it gives me,
[tex] 2y'^3 + 3y'^2 + y' = constant [/tex]
Well . . . can't say the Calculus of Variation is my strong suit but when I solve the Euler equation, I get:

[tex]6(y^{'})^2+6y^{'}+1=0[/tex]

Can someone rectify this discrepancy please?
touqra
Oct14-05, 07:35 PM
Quote Quote by saltydog
Well . . . can't say the Calculus of Variation is my strong suit but when I solve the Euler equation, I get:
[tex]6(y^{'})^2+6y^{'}+1=0[/tex]
Can someone rectify this discrepancy please?
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
That's just a cubic equation in y' -- it factors into (y' - a)(y' - b)(y' - c) = 0, does it not?
Errr.... I guess there is a way to solve this non-linear differential equation which I am not aware of its existence. What should you do after you factorise a differential equation?
Let say for example,

[tex] (y'+1)(y'+2) = 0 [/tex]

Then, [tex] y'+1 = 0 [/tex] or [tex] y'+2 = 0 [/tex]

That means to say that y is a function whereby its first derivative can take only the value -1 or -2 ?

What's the next step?
Hurkyl
Oct14-05, 08:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Well, there aren't many functions whose derivative is always either -1 or -2, are there? (Even fewer if you assume the derivative is continuous...)
touqra
Oct14-05, 09:34 PM
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
Well, there aren't many functions whose derivative is always either -1 or -2, are there? (Even fewer if you assume the derivative is continuous...)
How can the derivative be continuous when the derivative takes on discrete values of either -1 or -2 ?
IMO, the only function whose derivative is either -1 or -2, are somewhat like stepwise functions with straight lines. I suppose you are saying that this applies to the original question. Are there any other functions?
saltydog
Oct15-05, 04:52 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by touqra
How can the derivative be continuous when the derivative takes on discrete values of either -1 or -2 ?
IMO, the only function whose derivative is either -1 or -2, are somewhat like stepwise functions with straight lines. I suppose you are saying that this applies to the original question. Are there any other functions?
What's wrong with:

[tex]y(x)=-x+b[/tex]

or:

[tex]y(x)=-2x+b[/tex]

Thus, being a variational problem, I'd substitute them both into the integral, evaluate it, and see which one yields the extremum I seek.
Or should I say, "is that what I SHOULD do?"
touqra
Oct15-05, 07:02 AM
Quote Quote by saltydog
What's wrong with:
[tex]y(x)=-x+b[/tex]
or:
[tex]y(x)=-2x+b[/tex]
Thus, being a variational problem, I'd substitute them both into the integral, evaluate it, and see which one yields the extremum I seek.
Or should I say, "is that what I SHOULD do?"
Quote Quote by Hurkyl
I think there is something wrong if you factorise the equation and let y' be equal to a constant. If y' does equal a constant, then, y is a straight line having a slope equals to that constant.
But in the original question, there are boundary conditions, ie,
P=(0,0) and Q=(1,2)

If it is a straight line, obviously we can get the function y straight away from just the end points P and Q.
What is your opinion?
Hurkyl
Oct15-05, 07:34 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Straight lines, even splits, et cetera are often solutions to extremal problems, so I'm not surprised.

I'm pretty sure my approach is valid -- if you've proven that the derivative must satisfy that cubic, then at all points it must be equal to one of its roots, and if the derivative is continuous, it must be a constant.

I don't know if you should assume the derivative is continuous or not.

If it's not, then the simpler solutions for y are piecewise-linear... I'm not sure if there are pathological continuous solutions.
saltydog
Oct15-05, 08:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
For the record I wish to correct a conclusion I made above:

Solving the Euler equation, I obtained:

[tex]2(1+6y^{'}+6(y^{'})^2)y^{''}=0[/tex]

Now, either the quantity in paranthesis is zero or the second derivative. In the former case:

[tex]1+6y^{'}+6(y^{'})^2=0[/tex]

I obtain:

[tex]y^{'}=\frac{-1\pm\sqrt{1-2/3}}{2}[/tex]

Note that the slope is negative in both instances so this solution cannot meet the boundary conditions above. In the second case:

[tex]y^{''}=0[/tex]

The solution is:

[tex]y(x)=ax+b[/tex]

Using the boundary conditions: y(0)=0 and y(1)=2, I obtain:

[tex]y(x)=2x[/tex]

Toqura, I assume you're finished with this problem by now right?

Edit: Oh yea, can someone tell me how to prove y(x) is a solution to this functional equation?
touqra
Oct16-05, 06:53 AM
Thanks.

I think I will write assumptions whether the first derivative is continuous or not, first case and second case.
And then, go on to solve it by factorising like what saltydog did.

Register to reply