statistics: sample median, means, s.d. vs sample size

by jhson114
Tags: means, median, sample, size, statistics
jhson114
Oct23-05, 08:35 PM
P: 82
i have a set containing 10000 data. i took 1000 samples of size 4, 16, 64, and 1024 and took the medians, means, and stadard deviations of each size. i graphed them sd of medians vs sample size, sd of mean vs sample size, and sd of s.d. vs sample size. for sample mean, i know from a text book that:
SD of sample means = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
But it seems from the graph i created using R, sd of medians and s.d. vs sample size all have the exact same looking graph, which to me suggests that:
SD of sample means, medians, and s.d. = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
Is this right? it seems a little awkward. any input will be very helpful. thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
EnumaElish
Oct24-05, 10:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
graph i created using R
What is R?

More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?
jhson114
Oct25-05, 05:57 PM
P: 82
R is just a program language kind of like matlab.

"More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?"

This is exact what i'm asking.

Register to reply