Register to reply

Statistics: sample median, means, s.d. vs sample size

by jhson114
Tags: means, median, sample, size, statistics
Share this thread:
jhson114
Oct23-05, 08:35 PM
P: 82
i have a set containing 10000 data. i took 1000 samples of size 4, 16, 64, and 1024 and took the medians, means, and stadard deviations of each size. i graphed them sd of medians vs sample size, sd of mean vs sample size, and sd of s.d. vs sample size. for sample mean, i know from a text book that:
SD of sample means = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
But it seems from the graph i created using R, sd of medians and s.d. vs sample size all have the exact same looking graph, which to me suggests that:
SD of sample means, medians, and s.d. = population SD / sqrt(sample size n).
Is this right? it seems a little awkward. any input will be very helpful. thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
EnumaElish
Oct24-05, 10:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,482
graph i created using R
What is R?

More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?
jhson114
Oct25-05, 05:57 PM
P: 82
R is just a program language kind of like matlab.

"More generally, is your question whether the "sample vs. population" formula (sample stat = population stat/sqrt(n)) applies to median and std. dev. in addition to the mean?"

This is exact what i'm asking.

Register to reply