New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the new skin is ready to be released. There are some minor issues with postbit conditionals not working but they will be fixed soon. Loading speed is a concern and feedback is welcome. The new skin is designed for 1024x768 screens and is much more intense and exciting.
yeah... what did you do tide? cause I'm obviously missing something. moonbear and evo are both still super to me, and their badges haven't changed. plus the fonts mostly all look the same as they did originally, cept usernames are bigger.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
What is it, and where and how did you do this? This might be helpful for others having issues with the text contrast. :smile:

Open your Control Panel, click on the Appearance tab, click the "smooth edges" option and use the drop down menu to set "Clear Type." I think it requires a reboot because the effect didn't show up until I rebooted this a.m.

I like change for the most part. :smile:

Anti-aliasing on the small postbit buttons looks bad. Widget fonts are a little repulsive to me. But all that's not important.

Could you please not use Flash for the menu in the header? I'm alright with not seeing the logo Flash thing, but I don't like functional bits hiding in Flash objects -- I keep Flash disabled by default. :grumpy:

Greg, is the new skin version missing a link to the "Forum Leaders" list, or am I just not looking hard enough (in which case, it might still be a problem) ?

Gokul43201 said:
Greg, is the new skin version missing a link to the "Forum Leaders" list, or am I just not looking hard enough (in which case, it might still be a problem) ?

It's located a tthe bottom right of the page.

Skin's looking good! A lot better now that I've given it a few days to grow on me.

My one criticism is that the quiz pages look a bit cluttered:
https://www.physicsforums.com/quiz.php?do=Cat&id=4 [Broken]
So many bars and headings make it really hard to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
matthyaouw said:
Skin's looking good! A lot better now that I've given it a few days to grow on me.
My one criticism is that the quiz pages look a bit cluttered:
https://www.physicsforums.com/quiz.php?do=Cat&id=4 [Broken]
So many bars and headings make it really hard to read.

Agreed, it's on my things to do list :smile:

Last edited:
Greg, since you're online, I'll ask again about that Flash menu. Will you be doing anything about it?

Even if I enable Flash, I'll have lost a lot of functionality such as being able to right-click and copy target URLs, open links in new tabs, interact using the keyboard, etc. It definitely doesn't work in lynx, links, and variant text browsers.

It's the only thing making me want to switch back...

abhishek said:
Greg, since you're online, I'll ask again about that Flash menu. Will you be doing anything about it?

Even if I enable Flash, I'll have lost a lot of functionality such as being able to right-click and copy target URLs, open links in new tabs, interact using the keyboard, etc. It definitely doesn't work in lynx, links, and variant text browsers.

It's the only thing making me want to switch back...

At this time I don't have any intention of changing the flash menu.

The new skin's beginning to grow on me, but I have one criticism - the moderator and administrator buttons. They don't look as professional as they did. I'll try to articulate the specifics when I can think of how to put it.

Jameson said:
The new skin's beginning to grow on me, but I have one criticism - the moderator and administrator buttons. They don't look as professional as they did. I'll try to articulate the specifics when I can think of how to put it.

Maybe, but I'd say they didn't look professional before either :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Maybe, but I'd say they didn't look professional before either :smile:
Maybe it's just that the badges no longer match the colors of our names? After seeing names and badges that matched for so long, it's taking me some time getting used to them not matching now. Who says they have to be "professional" anyway? :tongue2: Aren't mentors allowed to play?

Edit: Greg, are you able to mind-read or something? I no sooner submitted this, and saw that the fonts of our names had changed color to match the new badges! :biggrin: :rofl: Talk about a quick response!

Moonbear said:
Edit: Greg, are you able to mind-read or something? I no sooner submitted this, and saw that the fonts of our names had changed color to match the new badges! :biggrin: :rofl: Talk about a quick response!

haha actually it was just a coincidence. I was looking at the whos online bit on the homepage and realized it was hard to differentiate staff from members because the green staff color was so dark on the grey background, it looked black.

Hey Greg, I love the new header! That really feels like the finishing touch to me. Everything seems to click into place now and the greens and blues play off of each other very nicely. Beautiful job!

hypnagogue said:
Hey Greg, I love the new header! That really feels like the finishing touch to me. Everything seems to click into place now and the greens and blues play off of each other very nicely. Beautiful job!
Me too! I love it! No more eyes staring at me while I read. :biggrin: I agree with hypnagogue; it really pulls the rest of the color theme together now.

Loaded fast for me.

Excellent work.

:cool:

good job

cool nu look to the skin.. briliant interface..
did not require time for it to grow on me
no loading problems as well
well done

yay, so kewl , so proffesional :) nice work

I can't see the join date of members in new skin. I guess it would be important for example when you want to answer someone's question in feedback forum. ( I don't like to back to the old skin, because all names are written in bold now! :eek: )

Lisa! said:
I can't see the join date of members in new skin. I guess it would be important for example when you want to answer someone's question in feedback forum. ( I don't like to back to the old skin, because all names are written in bold now! :eek: )
That was a recommendation the mentors made to Greg, to eliminate the join date. There were just too many things cluttering up the box under the usernames, and we decided people's posts should be judged on the merit of the post, not how long they've been here, so there really isn't any need to have a join date so prominent. The join date is still listed in every members' profile, so if you're really curious how long someone has been here, you can look it up there.

Moonbear said:
That was a recommendation the mentors made to Greg, to eliminate the join date. There were just too many things cluttering up the box under the usernames, and we decided people's posts should be judged on the merit of the post, not how long they've been here, so there really isn't any need to have a join date so prominent. The join date is still listed in every members' profile, so if you're really curious how long someone has been here, you can look it up there.

Not curious at all!:wink: Oh although I can simply back to the old skin if I'd be curious.

Is there a link to the blog in the new skin?

robphy said:
Is there a link to the blog in the new skin?
Yes, in the column of buttons on the rightmost side of the flash header. It reads "Home," "User CP," "Upgrade," "Guidelines," "Links," and "Blog."

hypnagogue said:
Yes, in the column of buttons on the rightmost side of the flash header. It reads "Home," "User CP," "Upgrade," "Guidelines," "Links," and "Blog."
Ah, I see... When I posted, I was using Firefox (on which I chose not to install Flash).

Whenever I want to search a word, it only searches through yesterday and today's threads, I guess. Do we have to use advanced search for everything? :cry:

<sorry that I'm always nagging about sth! :redface:>

<h2>What is the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!"?</h2><p>The "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" is a new feature that will be added to a video game, allowing players to customize their character's appearance with colorful and vibrant rave-inspired skins.</p><h2>When will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be released?</h2><p>The release date for the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" has not been officially announced yet. However, it is expected to be released within the next few months.</p><h2>Will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be available for all platforms?</h2><p>Yes, the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" will be available for all platforms that the video game is currently available on, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch.</p><h2>How many new skins will be included in the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!"?</h2><p>There will be a total of 10 new skins included in the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" Each skin will have its own unique design and color scheme.</p><h2>Will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be free or will there be a cost?</h2><p>The "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" will be available for purchase as a DLC (downloadable content) for a small fee. However, some skins may also be unlocked through gameplay achievements.</p>

What is the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!"?

The "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" is a new feature that will be added to a video game, allowing players to customize their character's appearance with colorful and vibrant rave-inspired skins.

When will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be released?

The release date for the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" has not been officially announced yet. However, it is expected to be released within the next few months.

Will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be available for all platforms?

Yes, the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" will be available for all platforms that the video game is currently available on, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch.

How many new skins will be included in the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!"?

There will be a total of 10 new skins included in the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" Each skin will have its own unique design and color scheme.

Will the "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" be free or will there be a cost?

The "New Skin Update: Get Ready to Rave!" will be available for purchase as a DLC (downloadable content) for a small fee. However, some skins may also be unlocked through gameplay achievements.