Statics: Incline plane an friction

In summary: The friction force is just the sum of the two forces, which is ( green + red )/2.In summary,The author was trying to find the friction angle for a block sliding down a plane. He found the angle of friction, but wasn't sure where to go from there. He found the normal and parallel components of the weight of the block, and then combined those to find the friction force.
thspoq2
Ive been working on this problem for a little while now and basically, I don't know where to go. I have found the friction angle of 7 degrees but I really have no idea where to go next. My book doesn't have any examples like the problem. The problem looks a lot like a basic physics problem so I pulled out my old physics work to see if there was an equation for it, no luck there. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I scanned the problem from my book. I also circled it (sorry about the marks on there, my eraser wasnt working too well):

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/auser/statics.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about the angle of friction.

Draw a free body diagram.

You know that the friction force will be acting up the plane. That's one force.

Resolve the weight of the block into components parallel to and perpindicular to the slope of the plane. That's two more forces.
Ditto for the force P. The last two forces.

In the case of limiting friction, the friction force will be just balanced by the total force acting down the plane.

Yep, resolving perpendicular and parralel gives 2 simulataneous equations which can be solved and plus one gets R which is needed to calculate Fr.

Thanks for the replies.

Im still not having any luck, I need a new major:(

Thanks for the replies.

Im still not having any luck, I need a new major:(

whoa, I didnt mean to do that, sorry

Come on mate - cheer up its not that hard. Go to mathnet.net or mathnet.com (cannot remember which site it is) and look at M1 or M2 that is A-Level UK textbooks and has this exact statics stuff in - and its well explained on the site with examples. Any more help needed after that post again!

But remember Hasta La Victoria, Siempre

I went to both of those sites and I couldn't find the information.

If someone could give me a visual process of what I have to do (equations etc), I can probably pick it up. I am a visual learner. I have to see the process done before I can repeat it.

Ok, I found the site and so far it has been helpfull..but, on one of there example problems, I don't see how they got a certain number.

http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/m15exam5.html

For step (a), could someone please explain to me how they are getting R = 117.7

IT shows steps if you click the applet button "steps"

I guess one of the reasons I haven't been getting much feedback is because I haven't been showing any work. Heres where I am at now, sorry about the poor handwriting:

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/auser/Statics2.jpg

First, calculate the other force - the force normal to the plane, and with that, the friction force.

Next, build some equations for what force "p" does - they'll look similar to what you did for the weight's components. You'll end up with two relevant forces due to the block's weight (normal and parallel to the plane) and two equations for the same two forces due to force "p".

After that, you'll need to combine the equations you generate and solve them together with algebra. Hopefully when you see the equations, it'll be obvious how to combine them to make the variables drop out...

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
First, calculate the other force - the force normal to the plane, and with that, the friction force.
Next, build some equations for what force "p" does - they'll look similar to what you did for the weight's components. You'll end up with two relevant forces due to the block's weight (normal and parallel to the plane) and two equations for the same two forces due to force "p".
After that, you'll need to combine the equations you generate and solve them together with algebra. Hopefully when you see the equations, it'll be obvious how to combine them to make the variables drop out...

I took your advice and this is where I got. The book gives an answere of 17.2 and I am getting 16.3. What I am a doing wrong?

http://www.streetneeds.com/uploads/auser/statics4.jpg

Last edited:
Please help, I think I am missing something simple.

The force P is pulling the block to the right.
If you resolve this force into components down the plane and normal to the plane, then you should see that the normal component is tending to lift the block up from the plane. In other words, the normal component of P is reducing the Normal Reaction, N, of the plane against the block and this should be taken into acount when caculating the friction force.(F = mu.N)
Similarly. The force P has a component down the plane. So there are two forces acting down the plane, not just one. This fact should also be taken into account when calculating the friction force.

In the attachment, Fig1 is the FBD showing all the forces acting on the block.
Fig2 shows the forces resolved into components normal to and parallel to the slope of the plane.

Attachments

• suspenc2.jpg
    suspenc2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
I got it, wow. that took forever. Thanks for all the help.

On another note, I was studying the problem because the teacher hinted off that he was going to quiz us on it during the next class. Well, today was quiz day and he gave us a centroid problem, yeah a freakin centroid. Haha, easy A

What is the concept of statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces acting on stationary objects or systems in equilibrium.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine consisting of a sloping surface that connects a lower and higher level. It is often used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object.

How does friction affect an object on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion. On an inclined plane, friction can either help or hinder the object. It can help by providing a force that prevents the object from sliding down the plane. It can hinder by creating a force that opposes the motion of the object up the plane.

What is the formula for calculating the force of friction on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the force of friction on an inclined plane is F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object.

How does the angle of inclination affect the force of friction on an object?

The force of friction increases as the angle of inclination increases. This is because as the angle of inclination increases, the normal force acting on the object also increases, resulting in a greater force of friction.