Gravitational Waves

by Spin_Network
Tags: gravitational, waves
Stingray
Dec14-05, 10:25 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 674
Quote Quote by Garth
Agreed - but when (how many more years) will our theshold of detection increase in sensitivity to below the predicted signal from known sources?
Garth
As I've stated in these forums several times, most people would be quite surprised if any of the current detectors found anything in the next few years.

Upgrades to LIGO are expected to start being built in 2008, and observations should start around 2013. These will increase the sensitivity by a factor of 10, which is expected to be sufficient to make a detection within a year or two (at worst). If nothing is found by then, people will start to worry.
Garth
Dec14-05, 11:07 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,273
Quote Quote by Stingray
As I've stated in these forums several times, most people would be quite surprised if any of the current detectors found anything in the next few years.
Upgrades to LIGO are expected to start being built in 2008, and observations should start around 2013. These will increase the sensitivity by a factor of 10, which is expected to be sufficient to make a detection within a year or two (at worst). If nothing is found by then, people will start to worry.
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know!

Garth

Register to reply