Register to reply

Pot?

by Peter Pan
Tags: None
Share this thread:
Zantra
Nov2-03, 02:15 AM
P: 869
I'm not oversimplifying it. It has it's positive and negative effects. You just have the weigh the pros and cons. For me, the pros don't justify the expense. And I'm speaking as one who in the past was a semi-regular user. It's been many years, and I don't have a desire to use it again. Just not my thing. I see how much money my friends spend on it. I personally have better things to spend my money on.
hypnagogue
Nov2-03, 02:55 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,265
I used to smoke a bit myself as well, and I can unequivocally say that my life is better for having done it. There's a lot of value just in experiencing first-hand how ordinary waking consciousness can be so much different in so many ways than it usually is. After a certain period of usage you don't really get anything new from the experience, which is a big reason I lost interest. But that doesn't negate the value of the initial experiences either.

Is long term usage worth it? No. Is at least some temporary usage worth it? In my experience, emphatically yes. Of course, that's just my opinion and every individual should draw their own lines.
Adrian Baker
Nov2-03, 02:59 AM
P: 419
There is a lot of moralising going on here about what 'people should' or 'people shouldn't do' .... What happened to the concepts of freedom and liberty? If someone wants to take a substance that may or may not do them any good what is to do with the rest of us? I don't care whether a drug can harm you or not - it is YOUR choice to take it, not mine or societies. ONLY if something you do causes harm to others should 'we' be concerned. That's why alcohol is legal, but drunk driving isn't.

It's like other 'morality issues' such as homosexuality. Some people love waxing lyrical about what others should or shouldn't do... Well if they PERSONALLY don't want to do something, they don't have to, do they? But what has who puts what organ in what orifice, or who puts what drug in their body got to with legality or right and wrong?

Fight the Nanny state!!!
Mr. Robin Parsons
Nov2-03, 07:56 AM
P: 1,560
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
You're saying it's exclusively because you don't want to pay taxes? ]
Scuza, perhaps you hadn't noticed, this thread is about POT, NOT me!
Hurkyl
Nov2-03, 08:39 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
But what has who puts what organ in what orifice, or who puts what drug in their body got to with legality or right and wrong?
Some laws are in place to protect people from themselves.
Adrian Baker
Nov2-03, 08:45 AM
P: 419
But who decides these things?
Shouldn't it be the individual?
What if 'society' chooses to do the wrong thing?

I don't want protecting from myself, by someone else who decides what is good for me..... No No NO!

Not allowing women to work or vote used to be thought of as 'protecting them'....!

Persecuting religeous minorities has been a favourite 'choice' of societies worldwide to 'protect sinners' from God's wrath.

Pah!

Freedom please.
Kerrie
Nov2-03, 09:19 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
Originally posted by hypnagogue
Correction: drug abuse is bad. Responsible drug use can have very positive things to offer. (disclaimer: I am not advocating drug use, but only telling the truth. Drug abuse is a serious problem, but that doesn't merit banal and oversimplified treatment of the subject of drugs in general. We're all intelligent people here.)

I don't know if you've ever seen the episode where Mr. Mackey does acid, but it makes some good points about the reality of drug use and the popular knee-jerk reaction to drug use. mmkay.
i absolutely agree...it's like this saying:

If guns cause crime, then spoons cause obesity.

America has a bad habit of displacing the responsibility of our actions on a substance or thing instead of the people taking the responsibility...same goes for drug abuse...
Hurkyl
Nov2-03, 09:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
Shouldn't it be the individual?
Not for everything.

What if 'society' chooses to do the wrong thing?
Then the wrong thing is done, and with any luck the mistake is discovered and rectified.

Doing things (and thus making mistakes) is certainly better than doing nothing at all.

It's the same rationale that goes with parents setting rules for their children. You give your kids rules like "Don't run with scissors" because they don't know better, and the government gives you rules like "Don't drive without your seatbelt on" because you don't know better.
Mr. Robin Parsons
Nov2-03, 09:42 AM
If the proper rules of democracy were/are followed, A country not being permitted to enact "a law that does more harm, then the harm it seeks to solve" which is what the current marijuana laws do.

They cause, and create, more harm (damage to peoples lives by function of a "criminal record" for simple possession) to the lives of the citizens, then what the damage, to those citizens, would have been, had that kind of law never been enacted.

People using marijuana do little, if any, Social damage, and that (Social Damage) is supposed to be the basis of the mitigation of the appraisal of damage(s), NOT a judgmentalism of the character of the user!
Integral0
Nov3-03, 02:03 PM
P: 56
Originally posted by Peter Pan
I am sorry that your friend died in a car accident. No one wins when people are irresponsible when they are using drugs, however saying that drugs are not beneficial in any way is flat wrong.

I have been known to smoke a joint or have some drinks. It is a relaxing way to spend your free time. You can take a vacation from your brain. I need that sometimes. When you think and think and think and think all day, it is nice to shut it off for a while.

People have been taking substances to alter reality for a very long time and I would argue that the world would be a much more uninspired and boring place without them.

Pan
Don't get me wrong, I know some drugs have medicinal benefits that are really good for some people. What I am saying is -> party bingeing on drugs and alcohol and excess use is really not too productive (as is the case with my friend).
megashawn
Nov4-03, 06:35 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 506
Hey, I tend to think that any decent person, pot smoker or not, would agree with the previous post.
Zantra
Nov4-03, 06:54 PM
P: 869
I don't think less of people who do use it, but as someone point out, the damage done to someone's life if they face the penalty for using it far outweight the side benefits. If someone wants to risk that, then more power to them. I don't feel personally the risk is worth the reward.
Chemicalsuperfreak
Nov4-03, 08:33 PM
P: 324
Originally posted by Zantra
I don't think less of people who do use it, but as someone point out, the damage done to someone's life if they face the penalty for using it far outweight the side benefits. If someone wants to risk that, then more power to them. I don't feel personally the risk is worth the reward.
Which is why it should be legalized. The penalities are cruel and unusual. Any criminal prosecution of marijuana possession is cruel and unusual.
Nommos Prime (Dogon)
Nov4-03, 08:53 PM
P: 383
Legal Facts:
In the Australian Capital Territory, where I live, marijuana (for recreational use) is decriminalised. All a choofer cops if caught by the Australian Federal Police with less than an ounce (28 grams) of marijuana is a SCON (S…. Cannabis Offence Notice). A SCON is similar to a parking fine, where you have 28 days to pay $150 (I think). If you pay, no conviction is recorded.

On A Personal Note:
I believe natural drugs such as marijuana and some types of mushrooms are a doorway to a collective subconscious which has been too long ignored by our developed society. The shamans knew it, certain scientists know it, the American military knows it, the pharmaceutical companies know it. In fact, even the Russians and NASA conducted experiments on mushrooms spores in the space medium (although its pretty hard to work out why, or to get copies of their studies). Prohibited drugs are not welcomed in our society, because authorities realise that these substances enable us to think “outside” of the world we live in. They don’t want this to occur. The government is quite happy to peddle drugs to children (Ritalin, dexamphetamines) for HADD (Hyperactive Attention Deficit Disorder). The USAF actually ground their fighter pilots if they refuse to take prescribed amphetamines. That’s right, they have to take them in order to fly – no wonder collateral damage and friendly fire occurs. Psychiatrists hand out anti-depressants to women through the form of Prozac and Lovan at the first sight of a tear! Iran-Contra affair etc. etc.
Natural drugs are not bad, it’s the manufactured ones you have to watch…
Kerrie
Nov4-03, 09:08 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
Originally posted by Nommos Prime (Dogon)
Legal Facts:
In the Australian Capital Territory, where I live, marijuana (for recreational use) is decriminalised. All a choofer cops if caught by the Australian Federal Police with less than an ounce (28 grams) of marijuana is a SCON (S…. Cannabis Offence Notice). A SCON is similar to a parking fine, where you have 28 days to pay $150 (I think). If you pay, no conviction is recorded.

On A Personal Note:
I believe natural drugs such as marijuana and some types of mushrooms are a doorway to a collective subconscious which has been too long ignored by our developed society. The shamans knew it, certain scientists know it, the American military knows it, the pharmaceutical companies know it. In fact, even the Russians and NASA conducted experiments on mushrooms spores in the space medium (although its pretty hard to work out why, or to get copies of their studies). Prohibited drugs are not welcomed in our society, because authorities realise that these substances enable us to think “outside” of the world we live in. They don’t want this to occur. The government is quite happy to peddle drugs to children (Ritalin, dexamphetamines) for HADD (Hyperactive Attention Deficit Disorder). The USAF actually ground their fighter pilots if they refuse to take prescribed amphetamines. That’s right, they have to take them in order to fly – no wonder collateral damage and friendly fire occurs. Psychiatrists hand out anti-depressants to women through the form of Prozac and Lovan at the first sight of a tear! Iran-Contra affair etc. etc.
Natural drugs are not bad, it’s the manufactured ones you have to watch…
absolute perfect logic to my ears
Mr. Robin Parsons
Nov6-03, 12:27 PM
Apparently, here in Canada, they were going to try for something like that, giving you a ticket for possession, (no criminal record) but it hasn't happened yet......... 'we' are waiting.........
Loren Booda
Nov6-03, 09:59 PM
P: 3,408
...meanwhile you can roll a big spliff from a pink ticket.

Register to reply