Effects of plasma on friedman/fluid/acceleration equations

by dicerandom
Tags: effects, equations, plasma
dicerandom
Mar1-06, 08:53 PM
P: 308
Hi all,

I'm currently taking a course in introductory cosmology, last quarter I had an introductory course in plasma physics. Something that's been bothering me through the course of my cosmo class is the fact that plasma effects are entirely ignored even though it's acknowledged that, for instance, in the Coma cluster the ratio of intergalactic plasma mass to steller mass is on the order of 10.

I'm wondering what effects taking the mostly-plasma nature of matter into account would have on both large scale cosmology and medium-range effects such as interactions within clusters of galaxies. Could someone point me towards some good (but hopefully still accessable) papers on these subjects?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Quest for extraterrestrial life not over, experts say
Sun emits a mid-level solar flare
Chronos
Mar2-06, 12:27 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,182
The plasma thing is very difficult to fit observational evidence. Try this:

Simulating the Soft X-ray excess in clusters of galaxies
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0409707
hellfire
Mar2-06, 01:35 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,047
I think that there is some kind of agreement that magnetic fields produced by plasmas could had played an important role that is not fully understood in cosmological dynamics and structure formation. As far as I know there are actually not many quantitative results and simulations. If you are interested on magnetic fields and stucture formation search for the work of Eduardo Battaner and Estrella Florido of the University of Granada.

SpaceTiger
Mar5-06, 11:38 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977

Effects of plasma on friedman/fluid/acceleration equations

Here's a paper about the interplay between magnetic fields and forming galaxies:

The Protogalactic Origin for Cosmic Magnetic Fields

Register to reply