Just help me to check homework on vector calculus

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of the normal vector, tangent plane, and normal line to a graph at a specific point. The person is asking for help in verifying their solution and someone else suggests a different format for the equations. The person is grateful for the help and thanks the other person.
denian
just help me to check homework on vector calculus :)

Find the equation of the normal vector, tangent plane, and the normal line to
the graph of the equation at point P.

here's the equation and my solution:

http://www.mrnerdy.com/forum_img/p1.JPG
[PLAIN]http://www.mrnerdy.com/forum_img/p2.JPG

please help me verify if my answer is correct. tqvm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand that most people are not going to download a file from someone they don't know?

sorry. changed it to jpeg. :)

Yes, very nicely done!

Those of us who dislike fractions (third grade trauma!) might prefer

2x- y+ 2z= 0 for the tangent plane (multiply your equation by -2) and
[2t, 2- 2t, 1+ 2t] for the normal line (replace your t by -2t) but your equations are completely correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
HoI, thank you very much!

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and their operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It also involves the study of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to every point in space.

2. Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is important because it is used to model and solve problems involving physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, velocity, and acceleration. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

3. What are some common operations in vector calculus?

Some common operations in vector calculus include dot product, cross product, gradient, divergence, and curl. These operations are used to calculate quantities such as work, flux, rate of change, and rotation of vector fields.

4. How do I check my homework on vector calculus?

To check your homework on vector calculus, make sure you understand the concepts and formulas used in the problems. Then, carefully work through each step of the solution and check your calculations. You can also use online resources or consult with a classmate or teacher if you need additional help.

5. What are some helpful tips for studying vector calculus?

Some helpful tips for studying vector calculus include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts, and using visual aids such as diagrams and graphs. It is also important to break down complex problems into smaller steps and to seek help when needed.