Tags: introducing, latex, math, typesetting
Share this thread:
Adrian Baker
Nov19-03, 02:33 PM
P: 419
Lets have a go....

[tex]2\pi\sqrt{l/g}[/tex]

[tex]\gamma \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

edit: After three attempts I got it to work!!
chroot
Nov20-03, 11:47 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Displaying vectors can be tricky.

The default \vec LaTeX command produces a little arrow over the top of vectors, e.g.

[tex]\lambda_j = \vec{\lambda} \cdot \vec{e}_j[/tex]

If you'd prefer to make your vectors boldface, just redefine the \vec command. See the source for this image to see how the command is redefined.

[tex]
\renewcommand{\vec}[1]{\mbox{\boldmath $ #1 $}}

\lambda_j = \vec{\lambda} \cdot \vec{e}_j[/tex]

- Warren
lethe
Nov20-03, 10:29 PM
P: 657
does this always generate display mode, or can we make it do inline mode as well?
chroot
Nov20-03, 10:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by lethe
does this always generate display mode, or can we make it do inline mode as well?
You mean, can you typeset your entire post in TeX and use $ $ to set off the math?

- Warren
lethe
Nov20-03, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by chroot
You mean, can you typeset your entire post in TeX and use $ $ to set off the math?

- Warren
no, LaTeX has two modes, one for displaying equations inline (with $...$), where stuff is smaller, and another for display mode equations (\[ .... \]). the same equation will display differently depending on which you use. can we have access to both methods?
chroot
Nov20-03, 10:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
no, LaTeX has two modes, one for displaying equations inline (with $...$), where stuff is smaller, and another for display mode equations (\[ .... \]). the same equation will display differently depending on which you use. can we have access to both methods?
In what way are equations displayed differently in these two modes? AFAIK, math is displayed the same way in between $$ as in the displaymath environment.

- Warren
Ambitwistor
Nov20-03, 10:56 PM
P: 837
Display math:

[tex]\sum_i x^i[/tex]

(inline) math, [tex]\mbox{$\sum_i x^i$}[/tex], hacked
Ambitwistor
Nov20-03, 10:57 PM
In what way are equations displayed differently in these two modes? AFAIK, math is displayed the same way in between $$ as in the displaymath environment.
The 'displaymath' environment is the same as $$...$$, to show equations on a line by themselves, but $...$ is the 'math' environment, which is intended for equations inlined with other text.
chroot
Nov20-03, 10:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Ambi,

Cool, I tried a few things and couldn't find anything that displayed differently!

Using \mbox is a fine way to do it.

- Warren
chroot
Nov20-03, 10:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
If it becomes a serious wishlist item for a lot of people, I can consider adding some attributes like mode=displaymath or mode=inline to the [ tex ] tag. Otherwise, \mbox is the easiest way to accomplish it.

- Warren
lethe
Nov20-03, 11:01 PM
Ambi,

Cool, I tried a few things and couldn't find anything that displayed differently!
yeah, neither could i, because apparently the software doesn t recognize the inline mode commands...

Using \mbox is a fine way to do it.
OK, good enough
chroot
Nov20-03, 11:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
yeah, neither could i, because apparently the software doesn t recognize the inline mode commands...
No, I tried \mbox too -- but I tried y = mx + b, which looks the same in both environments, lol:

[tex]y = m x + b[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{ $ y = m x + b $ }[/tex]

- Warren
lethe
Nov20-03, 11:04 PM
Otherwise, \mbox is the easiest way to accomplish it.

- Warren
do we have the amsmath package? mbox is a little limited, (like it doesn t go into subscripts very well), and \text is better.
lethe
Nov20-03, 11:05 PM
No, I tried \mbox too -- but I tried y = mx + b, which looks the same in both environments, lol:
yeah, i think the only place where this makes a difference is for larger things like fractions, summations and integrations.
Ambitwistor
Nov20-03, 11:06 PM
If it becomes a serious wishlist item for a lot of people, I can consider adding some attributes like mode=displaymath or mode=inline to the [ tex ] tag. Otherwise, \mbox is the easiest way to accomplish it.
It seems to me that typing "\mbox{}" is still easier than typing "mode=inline" ...
Ambitwistor
Nov20-03, 11:12 PM
Yes, we have amsmath; I only recently started using it, so I keep forgetting about it...

However, if you're proposing \text as a replacement for \mbox in this instance ...

[tex]\mbox{$\sum_i x^i$}[/tex]
[tex]\text{$\sum_i x^i$}[/tex]
lethe
Nov20-03, 11:14 PM
do we have the amsmath package? mbox is a little limited, (like it doesn t go into subscripts very well), and \text is better.
apparently not.
lethe
Nov20-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ambitwistor
Yes, we have amsmath; I only recently started using it, so I keep forgetting about it...

However, if you're proposing \text as a replacement for \mbox in this instance ...
yes, it doesn t work... i assume that is because amsmath isn t loaded... or?

Register to reply