Looking for a Feynman reference (re: P, C, and CP)

In summary, an alien civilization living far off in outer space could communicate with us by radio using a process called "parity and charge conjugation." This is a hypothetical scenario involving symmetries that violate the laws of physics, and could only be communicated using radio.
Eye_in_the_Sky
I remember reading a discussion by Feynman somewhere. He talks about parity and charge conjugation in terms of a hypothetical scenario involving "radio communication" with an alien civilization living far off in outer space.

I don't remember the name of book I read this in. Does anyone know what book it's in?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen it before too. I think it's in "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out", but I'm not entirely sure.

jtolliver said:
I've seen it before too. I think it's in "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out", but I'm not entirely sure.

Although I haven't read the book completely yet, I didn't find any reference to it in the index. A page from The LBL's site mention Feynman's idea...

http://www.lbl.gov/abc/wallchart/chapters/05/2.html

He probably used the analogy more than once. It is included for sure in one of the Feynman lectures. Probably in volume one, when he speaks about symmetries.

He is basically saying that, due to the violation of P in weak interactions, it would be possible to communicate what is "left" and "right" to an alien via radio. When finally meeting with the alien after having agreed to a right-hand-shake as a salutation, if he extends his left arm "watch out!", since he is made of antimatter.

I'm pretty sure it's Volume 1, I think it also appears in either six easy pieces or six not-so-easy pieces.

Yep. Chapter 52 in Vol I.

Thank you, all! :smile:

... Yes, I see it there in the "Feynman Lectures". The discussion begins in section 52-6 on page 52-8.

[I also briefly looked into "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" (an edited transcript, published in 1999, of an interview with Feynman filmed in 1981). Using the search tools available at Amazon.com, it appears to me that in that interview no reference was made to this "story" of P, C, and CP.]

1. What is P, C, and CP in reference to Feynman?

P, C, and CP are terms used in particle physics to describe fundamental symmetries of the universe. P stands for parity, which refers to the mirror symmetry of particles and their interactions. C stands for charge conjugation, which describes how a particle and its antiparticle have opposite charge. CP stands for combined parity and charge conjugation, which is a more complex symmetry that involves both mirror and charge conjugation.

2. How did Feynman contribute to the understanding of P, C, and CP?

Feynman was a renowned theoretical physicist who made significant contributions to particle physics and quantum field theory. He developed a mathematical framework known as Feynman diagrams, which helped to visualize and calculate particle interactions. He also helped to formulate the concept of CP violation, which describes the breaking of CP symmetry in certain particle interactions.

3. Why is P, C, and CP important in particle physics?

Understanding P, C, and CP is crucial in particle physics because it helps to explain the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles. These symmetries are deeply connected to the fundamental laws of physics and have important implications for the structure of matter and the evolution of the universe.

4. What experiments have been conducted to study P, C, and CP?

There have been several experiments conducted to study P, C, and CP, including the famous Bell test experiments which demonstrated the violation of Bell's inequality and confirmed the existence of quantum entanglement. Other experiments include the Large Hadron Collider which studies particle collisions and the Daya Bay Reactor Neutrino Experiment which studies the oscillation of neutrinos, a type of subatomic particle.

5. How have the concepts of P, C, and CP evolved over time?

The concepts of P, C, and CP have evolved over time as our understanding of particle physics has advanced. Initially, these symmetries were thought to be absolute laws of nature, but the discovery of CP violation showed that they can be violated in certain situations. This has led to further research and theories about the origin and nature of CP violation and how it relates to other fundamental symmetries.