Proving Convergence of a Series with Positive Terms

In summary, the problem asks to prove that the convergence of a series with non-negative terms implies the convergence of a related series with square root terms. The comparison test, partial summation formula, and Cauchy criterion are all attempted, but the key insight comes from using the root test to show that the terms of the series are bounded by a multiple of the original series and a constant term, ultimately proving convergence.
r4nd0m
hi,
I found this problem in Rudin, and I just can't figure it out.

It goes like this:
Prove that the convergence of [tex]\sum a_n[/tex] [tex] a_n \geq 0[/tex] implies the convergence of [tex] \sum \frac{\sqrt{a_n}}{n} [/tex]

I tried the comparison test, but that doesn't help because I don't know what the limit [tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{n\sqrt{a_n}}[/tex] is equal to.

Then I tried the partial summation formula, [tex] \frac{1}{n} \rightarrow \infty [/tex] and is monotonic, but [tex]\sqrt{a_n} > a_n[/tex] for all but finite many n. [tex]\sqrt{a_n}[/tex] is rising, so if it the partial sums were bounded from above the series would converge, but that isn't true for [tex] a_n = \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex], so I can't use this way.

The last thing that comes to my mind is to use the Cauchy criterion, but I can't find any good use of it here. a_n will be smaller than any epsilon for infinitely many n, but that doesn't really help.

Have I missed something out, or done something in a wrong way? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you tried partial summation, what kind of bounds did you use for [tex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/tex]?

The problem is there are no bounds for it - like in the example I mentioned - [tex]\sum a_n = \sum \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex] converges, but [tex] \sum \sqrt{a_n} = \sum \frac{1}{n} [/tex] doesn't, hence it is also not bounded from above.

Last edited:
I don't mean bounded by a constant for all partial sums, rather an upper bound that depends on x.

With [tex]a_n=1/n^2[/tex], you can get the bound [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}\leq \log(x)+1[/itex]. Using this bound, you could go throught the partial summation and show [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}n^{-1}[/itex] is bounded by a constant.

So, what kind of bounds can you get for [itex]\sum_{n\leq x}\sqrt{a_n}[/itex]? It would be good to ask what kind of bound you'd need to deduce convergence from partial summation as well.

Last edited:
How about the "root test"? Since [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] converges, you know that [itex]^n\sqrt{a_n}[/itex] converges to a number less than or equal to one. What does that tell you about the limit of
[tex]{^n\sqrt{\frac\sqrt{a_n}}{n}}= \frac{\sqrt{^n\sqrt{a_n}}}{^n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]?

the root test! I don't know why, but I just ignored it. Thanks a lot

The root test will be inconclusive here if you started with a sequence that has [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}=1[/tex] to begin with. Or if this limit simply didn't exist (though you can use the lim sup version, again inconclusive if you get a "1").

If [tex]
a_n \le {1 \over {n^2 }}
[/tex], then [tex]
\sqrt {a_n } \le {1 \over n} \Rightarrow {{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le {1 \over {n^2 }}
[/tex];

if [tex]
a_n \ge {1 \over {n^2 }}

[/tex], then [tex]
\sqrt {a_n } \ge {1 \over n}

[/tex]; multiplying both sides of this inequality by [tex]
\sqrt {a_n }

[/tex] we obtain [tex]
{{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le a_n

[/tex].

Thus [tex]
{{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n} \le \max \left\{ {a_n ,{1 \over {n^2 }}} \right\} = {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left| {a_n - {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right| \le {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) + {1 \over 2}\left( {a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}} \right) = a_n + {1 \over {n^2 }}

[/tex].

Then the convergence of [tex]
\sum\limits_n {a_n }

[/tex] and [tex]
\sum\limits_n {{1 \over {n^2 }}}

[/tex] implies the convergence of

[tex]
\sum\limits_n {{{\sqrt {a_n } } \over n}}

[/tex].

1. How do you define convergence of a series with positive terms?

Convergence of a series with positive terms means that the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. In other words, the sum of the terms does not continue to increase indefinitely.

2. What is the most commonly used method for proving convergence of a series with positive terms?

The most commonly used method for proving convergence of a series with positive terms is the comparison test. This test compares the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence.

3. Can a series with positive terms converge if its individual terms do not approach zero?

Yes, a series with positive terms can still converge even if its individual terms do not approach zero. This is because the terms may decrease at a slower rate, but as long as they eventually become small enough, the series can still approach a finite limit.

4. Are there other tests besides the comparison test for proving convergence of a series with positive terms?

Yes, there are several other tests that can be used to prove convergence of a series with positive terms. These include the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test.

5. What is the significance of proving convergence of a series with positive terms?

Proving convergence of a series with positive terms is important in determining the behavior and properties of the series. It can also be used to evaluate the sum of the series and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios.