Proving |A|<=Aleph Null with Function f:A->B and |B|<=Aleph Null

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management and the challenges of balancing work and personal life. The speakers discussed different strategies for improving time management, such as prioritizing tasks and setting boundaries, and also acknowledged the importance of taking breaks and self-care. They also mentioned the impact of technology and distractions on productivity. Overall, the conversation emphasized the need for finding a personalized approach to time management that works best for each individual.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i have a function f:A->B, I am also given that |B|<=null aleph, and for every b in B, |f^-1({b})|<=null aleph, i need to prove that |A|<=null aleph.
basically i think that A equals the union of f^-1({b}) for every b in B, and by another theorem i can consequently assert that |A|<=null aleph.

but is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes...

AKG, thanks.

1. How can I prove that |A|<=Aleph Null?

To prove that |A|<=Aleph Null, we can use a function f:A->B and show that |B|<=Aleph Null. This is known as the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem.

2. What is the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem?

The Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem states that if there exist injective functions f:A->B and g:B->A, then there exists a bijection between A and B. In other words, if we can find a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of A and B, then |A| and |B| are equal.

3. How does the function f:A->B prove that |A|<=Aleph Null?

The function f:A->B is used to show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of A and B. This means that for every element in A, there is a unique element in B that it maps to. Since |B|<=Aleph Null, this means that there are at most Aleph Null elements in B, and therefore at most Aleph Null elements in A.

4. Can the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem be used to prove other cardinalities?

Yes, the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem can be used to prove the equality of any two cardinalities, not just |A| and |B|. It is a powerful tool in set theory and has many applications in proving the equality of infinite sets.

5. Are there other methods to prove |A|<=Aleph Null?

Yes, there are other methods to prove |A|<=Aleph Null, such as using the Axiom of Choice or constructing a bijection directly. However, the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroeder theorem is a commonly used method and can be applied in various scenarios.