What can I do to cancel the noise?

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of noise and how to cancel it while studying. Various solutions are suggested, including using external sound cancelling headphones or finding a new location. The idea of using music as a distraction is also mentioned, but it is suggested that white noise may be more effective. The conversation also touches on the high cost of Bose headphones and suggests looking for alternatives.
WiFO215
Is there any way I can build/make something that I can wear that prevents me from hearing what's going on around me? When I study, there are so many noises because of vehicles moving downstairs, TV on loud etc. What can I do to cancel the noise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

There are devices which cancel the sound wave dynamically. They produce a wave in phase opposition constantly.

Ear plugs don't work as well because sound can travel quite well through the bone behind your ear.

Either buy something like the set of earphones in the link above or find a new location.

External sound cancelling, over-the-ear headphones are good, but make sure they're good, they get sweaty after long periods.

The over-ear ones I have that don't have active canceling are pretty good for higher pitched sounds, but low hums such as the bus engine or something goes through easily. It depends on what the source of your noise is.

Why don't you just put some music on to drown out the noise?

cristo said:
Why don't you just put some music on to drown out the noise?

White (or other color) noise is better. Something like waterfall, that doesn't let you concentrate on the sound (no distinct pattern), but hides everything else.

rootX said:

HAHAHAHAHA! I really want to do that.

But at everyone else. I checked out the Bose headphones. In my city they are 17,000Rs ($4250)! Thats stupid. I don't want music in the background. I just want quiet. No noise. No nothing!

Bose headphones are REALLY overrated. There are much cheaper headphones out there that are even better. Go read some reviews. I would strongly suggest against getting Bose, especially if they are that expensive.

1. How can I reduce the noise level in my environment?

There are several ways to reduce noise in your environment. One option is to use soundproofing materials such as acoustic foam or soundproof curtains. Another option is to seal any gaps or cracks in walls or windows to prevent outside noise from entering. Additionally, using noise-canceling headphones or earplugs can also help reduce noise.

2. Is there a way to cancel noise without using headphones or earplugs?

Yes, there are alternative methods for canceling noise without using headphones or earplugs. Some options include using a white noise machine or playing calming music or nature sounds to mask the unwanted noise. Additionally, rearranging furniture or adding soft surfaces such as rugs or curtains can also help absorb noise.

3. Can I cancel out specific types of noise?

Yes, it is possible to cancel out specific types of noise using specialized equipment such as noise-canceling devices or frequency-specific sound absorbers. These methods work by emitting sound waves that are precisely opposite in frequency to the unwanted noise, effectively canceling it out.

4. How can I reduce noise in a shared living space?

If you live in a shared space, there are a few options for reducing noise. One option is to communicate with your roommates or neighbors and establish quiet hours or rules regarding noise levels. Additionally, using soundproofing materials or noise-canceling devices can also help reduce noise in shared living spaces.

5. Is there a permanent solution for canceling noise?

Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution for canceling noise as it is a natural part of our environment. However, there are ways to effectively reduce and manage noise levels in your surroundings. By using a combination of methods such as soundproofing, noise-canceling devices, and creating a peaceful environment, you can significantly minimize the impact of noise on your daily life.