Need a photo contest volunteer.

In summary, to become a volunteer for a photo contest, you can reach out to the organizers directly or search for opportunities online. The responsibilities of a volunteer may include setting up and organizing submissions, assisting with judging, promoting the contest, and helping with event logistics. The time commitment can vary but typically involves a few hours a week leading up to the event and possibly a full day during the contest. While photography experience can be helpful, it is not always required. Volunteering at a photo contest can provide networking opportunities, hands-on experience, and the chance to support a cause or organization. Some contests may also offer perks or rewards for volunteers.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Sorry guys, but I'm really running out of steam on the photo contest. I've been doing it for a year now and I'm struggling to come up with decent themes, finding it harder to get online to sort the voting threads and check entries. Over the coming weeks I think it's going to get really difficult for me to get online enough to do the thing properly.

Is anyone willing to take over? Post here or PM me if you're intersted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, Matt, no problem

I'd also be willing to help run them. :smile:

- Warren

I'm NOT volunteering. :biggrin: But I will suggest that the photo contest might also be run by a team of volunteers. Perhaps one person who thinks they might have the creativity to come up with good themes and start the contest each week, and another person who doesn't feel as creative but is more comfortable with handling the creation of the polls and moving of photo links to create the voting threads each week. That way, we could get the benefits of each person's strengths and cut the effort for each one in half so it's not such a burdensome task and remains fun the way it should be.

I like Moonie's idea. I wouldn't like having to set up the contests, polls, tabulate, etc, but I would gladly help such a person come up with themes. There are so many avenues available, with ideas coming from music, literature, sciences, current events, history, etc that it would be impossible to exhaust them at the rate of only one per week. We certainly don't have to resort to seasonal or holiday themes that effectively disqualify many of our members from around the globe. Collaboration, anyone?

Actually there is still this thread with a plethora of ideas. It's the bookkeeping, that's the major part of the work.

Count me in.

And I like the idea of collaboration.

Edit: due to my daily schedule bookkeeping is not the problem.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I like Moonie's idea. I wouldn't like having to set up the contests, polls, tabulate, etc, but I would gladly help such a person come up with themes. There are so many avenues available, with ideas coming from music, literature, sciences, current events, history, etc that it would be impossible to exhaust them at the rate of only one per week. We certainly don't have to resort to seasonal or holiday themes that effectively disqualify many of our members from around the globe. Collaboration, anyone?

Me too! I'd be no help with the technical parts, but happy to help any way I can. And I agree that an important aim would be not to forget the variety of the pf community and to offer topics open to a wide range of interpretation and technical ability. I think ZZ's original objective was along the lines of sharing varied windows.

Thanks, Mattyaouw, for a great year of photo competitions!

Last edited:
Matthyaouw, you did a wonderful job! It's not easy, I filled in for Zz once and I have great respect for anyone that can keep the contest going.

Perhaps a few people could rotate each contest so that one person would not have to do several weeks in a row.

Thanks for the support people. I've offered Andre the job.
I'll finish up the current contest and Andre will take over on the next one. It's been fun :)
I know Andre will do a good job and I hope the contest carries on for a good long time.

Thanks Matt, for all the work done. I know how much that implies. I'd be happy to carry on with it, and I would very pleased with the offered help.

Especially the choice of subject is a hot item. Therefore I intend to PM the friends who offered help here to help me select a subject out of a shortlist of three or something like that.

Thanks Matt for keeping the contest running :smile:

matthyaouw said:
Sorry guys, but I'm really running out of steam on the photo contest. I've been doing it for a year now and I'm struggling to come up with decent themes, finding it harder to get online to sort the voting threads and check entries. Over the coming weeks I think it's going to get really difficult for me to get online enough to do the thing properly.

Is anyone willing to take over? Post here or PM me if you're intersted.

Oy vey! You lasted only a year?!

:)

It's not easy to run, that's for sure. It only appears that way. Thanks for taking over from me when you did.

I'd like to offer a suggestion, if I may. I think it would be a lot more fun, and WHOLE lot more frustrating (!) if we can vote only for one photo, instead of casting multiple photos in one poll. I know that when I was running it, the painful choice of trying to cast just one vote was excruciating, but that added to the whole fun of the process. People started to trying balance one picture versus another and just dreading having to choose one. It added to the the whole "atmosphere" of voting.

Zz.

I must say I like the idea of multiple vote much more. When number of voting people is small votes get spread so thin results are meanigless, especially when there are many entries.

Perhaps it will make sense to do multiple votes when there are many entries and single votes when number of entries is small.

I took the liberty to make a poll of that discussion here

ZapperZ said:
Oy vey! You lasted only a year?!

Zz.

I don't know how the hell you did it for as long as you did, but thanks for doing it. It was fun :smile:

matthyaouw said:
I don't know how the hell you did it for as long as you did, but thanks for doing it. It was fun :smile:

I'm a glutton for punishment, and I have rather thick skin. My duties as a Mentor prepared me for all the abuse!

Zz.

1. How can I become a volunteer for a photo contest?

To become a volunteer for a photo contest, you can reach out to the organizers directly or search for volunteer opportunities on websites such as VolunteerMatch or Idealist. You can also check with local photography clubs or organizations to see if they are in need of volunteers for photo contests.

2. What are the responsibilities of a photo contest volunteer?

The responsibilities of a photo contest volunteer may vary depending on the specific event, but generally they involve tasks such as setting up and organizing the photo submissions, assisting with judging, promoting the contest, and helping with event logistics. Some volunteers may also be asked to provide technical support or assist with social media management for the contest.

3. How much time commitment is required for volunteering at a photo contest?

The time commitment for volunteering at a photo contest can vary depending on the length of the event and the specific tasks assigned. Typically, volunteers are expected to commit a few hours a week leading up to the event and possibly a full day during the contest itself. However, this can vary and it's best to check with the organizers for a more specific time commitment.

4. Do I need to have photography experience to be a volunteer for a photo contest?

While having photography experience can be helpful, it is not always a requirement for volunteering at a photo contest. Depending on the tasks assigned, volunteers may need basic photography knowledge, such as how to operate a camera or how to edit photos. However, there are also non-technical tasks that volunteers can assist with, such as event planning and promotion.

5. Are there any benefits to volunteering at a photo contest?

Volunteering at a photo contest can provide a great opportunity for networking and gaining hands-on experience in event planning and photography. It can also be a way to give back to the community and support a cause or organization that you are passionate about. Additionally, some photo contests may offer perks or rewards for their volunteers, such as free entry to the event or a certificate of appreciation.