A Single String Conjecture ? -Feynman revisited

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the entire universe being made up of one single vibrating superstring moving back and forth in time, similar to Feynman's "Single Electron Conjecture". The "strand model" proposed by Schiller is also mentioned, which describes all of nature as one single strand and the various particles as knots or tangles on this strand. The possibility of experimentation to determine the validity of these theories is also brought up.
rai linga
a "Single String Conjecture"? -Feynman revisited

Do we all remember Feynman's "Single Electron Conjecture" that states, basically, that a single electron moving back and forth in time could "fill in the gaps" on every electron ring around every atom in the universe? Well, assuming Superstring Theory is true and every particle is really a vibrating superstring (and, as such, all particles are generically the same), can't we "conjecture" that the entire universe is really one vibrating superstring moving back and forth in time?
(I know this is probably a bit of a stretch, but, hopefully, Superstrings may turn out to be more like rubberbands than previously imagined.)

Physics news on Phys.org

rai linga said:
Do we all remember Feynman's "Single Electron Conjecture" that states, basically, that a single electron moving back and forth in time could "fill in the gaps" on every electron ring around every atom in the universe? Well, assuming Superstring Theory is true and every particle is really a vibrating superstring (and, as such, all particles are generically the same), can't we "conjecture" that the entire universe is really one vibrating superstring moving back and forth in time?
(I know this is probably a bit of a stretch, but, hopefully, Superstrings may turn out to be more like rubberbands than previously imagined.)

Schiller's "strand model" does precisely that: it described all of nature as made of a single strand (in 3 dimensions though, not 11), and the various knots/tangles are the particles. See http://www.motionmountain.net/research and the other threads in this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you so very much for informing me about Shiller's model. Wow! To think someone took this pipedream (literally!) of mine seriously makes me, a mere layman, feel pretty good. I'll check out the the site and do my best to puzzle out what he's saying.

heinz said:
Schiller's "strand model" does precisely that: it described all of nature as made of a single strand (in 3 dimensions though, not 11), and the various knots/tangles are the particles. See http://www.motionmountain.net/research and the other threads in this forum.

Is this strand model crackpottery?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hmm--"crachpottery". Things are so busy now I haven't had time to read the Schiller article---but, now that you say this, Schiller's model certainly doesn't sound like something based on Superstring Theory, does it? I mean, superstrings are Planck length ---so there couldn't be one long superstring creating the entire universe. The key idea in connecting to Feynman's conjecture, of course, is the movement of an entity (electron or, as here considered, string) "back and forth in time". So Shiller's model doesn't seem to embody the idea I'm suggesting at all ----but I still appreciate people's input and will take a look at what he's saying fairly soon.

rai linga said:
I think it is possible. More precisely, I think it is possible that all particles are one giant string split in many small parts. The process of splitting involves motions faster than light, which is related to motion backwards in time. For more details see
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/hep-th/0702060
especially Fig. 1.

Hmm, isn't Nikolic = Demystifier?

Is this strand model crackpottery?
All new theories are! Experimentation will determine the outcome.

Heinz likely knows a lot more about the strand model than I, but reading the strand thread I sure did not think Schiller was proposing a single strand, but rather multiple strands of infinite length to horizons...he even says strands are separated by Planck Lengths...

Naty1 said:
All new theories are! Experimentation will determine the outcome.

Heinz likely knows a lot more about the strand model than I, but reading the strand thread I sure did not think Schiller was proposing a single strand, but rather multiple strands of infinite length to horizons...he even says strands are separated by Planck Lengths...

Schiller says that all strands are "infinite" in the sense that they reach the "border of space". In practice, the border is the cosmic horizon. Schiller also argues that at the horizon, all strands are connected. From a local viewpoint, strands are thus "infinite for all practical purposes"; from a global viewpoint, they are all "one and the same".

MTd2 said:
Hmm, isn't Nikolic = Demystifier?
Of course. :wink:

1. What is the Single String Conjecture?

The Single String Conjecture is a theoretical physics concept that proposes that all fundamental particles in the universe, including quarks and leptons, are composed of a single type of one-dimensional string.

2. Who first proposed the Single String Conjecture?

The Single String Conjecture was first proposed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1960s, as a way to reconcile the discrepancies between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

3. What evidence supports the Single String Conjecture?

There is currently no direct experimental evidence for the Single String Conjecture. However, it is supported by mathematical models and calculations, as well as its ability to potentially explain the unification of all fundamental forces.

4. What are the implications of the Single String Conjecture?

If the Single String Conjecture is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and how it operates. It would also have major implications for fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. Has the Single String Conjecture been proven?

No, the Single String Conjecture has not been proven yet. It remains a theoretical concept and is still being studied and debated by scientists. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand its validity.